none
Crash During Boot

Question

• I had some popup window while I was typing and then windows rebooted. Now it keeps on crashing during the startup screen. I can't get into safe mode as I either have to do a repair or boot normaly which does not give me the F8 anymore. Unfortunately, all attempts at repairing fail. I also tried a recovery but it says:

* To use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore.

* I then realized that on the System Recovery Options screen it says:
       "Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk"

* I then did a Bootrec /fixboot which gave me the following:
       The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
       Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted

* So I checked for the OS with Bootrec /scanos. That gave me:
       Successfully scanned windows installations.
       Total identified Windows installations: 1
       [1] d:\windows
       The operation completed successfully.

* I figured I try a bootrec /rebuildbcd. I did recognize the OS and I answered "Add installation to boot list?" with Yes. However, then I got the error:
       The system cannot find the path specified

I am puzzled because the recovery does not see the system and rebuildbcd has issues yet the system boots (until it crashes) and bootrec sees the OS. On a side note, I did have an image of the system from Backup & Restore but it complains something about dynamic disks so that fell into the water. It's possible that this backup was done from a different disk but I am not 100% sure. The disk currently in use is an SSD.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:28 AM

Answers

• Alex, I ended up using Acronis to convert my backup (from Windows Backup & Restore) to an Acronis archive and then reinstall the system from that backup. Windows Backup & Restore is just plain terrible. I had issues with it on other systems as well. It worked ok playing the backup back (for testing) right after making the backup. But make some changes to your system (move the backup, change HDs, drive letters or who knows what else) and it will fail you when you need it most. I will never use it again.

If anybody needs a good backup program use Acronis, EaseUS or Macrium. I like them in that sequence. The former has more features (in the paid version) and is more 'fool proof' (at least based on my limited experience) but EaseUS is also doing a good job at making full HD backups and so seems Macrium (I have very limited experience with it). 

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:22 AM

All replies

• What does it mean?: I had some popup window while I was typing and then windows rebooted

When? What windows? Can you login?

Can you get into F8 menu and let the Last Know Good return to previous version?

Rgds

Milos

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:47 AM
  • I don't know what the dialog was because it popped up and because I was typing I confirmed it which made the dialog disappear right away and the system started rebooting.

No, I cannot login as mentioned in the initial post because the computer crashes when it gets to the start screen (the flashing logo). I also cannot do an F8 because after the crash I have two options. 1) do a repair which is unsuccessful and 2) boot normaly but F8 does not work anymore at that time so it just gets to the splash screen, crashes and the cycle begins again.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:00 AM
  • Hi,

Is this a good installation before? I mean if  it works properly previously.

What is the change you have done recently?

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any update?

Regards,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Alex, I ended up using Acronis to convert my backup (from Windows Backup & Restore) to an Acronis archive and then reinstall the system from that backup. Windows Backup & Restore is just plain terrible. I had issues with it on other systems as well. It worked ok playing the backup back (for testing) right after making the backup. But make some changes to your system (move the backup, change HDs, drive letters or who knows what else) and it will fail you when you need it most. I will never use it again.

If anybody needs a good backup program use Acronis, EaseUS or Macrium. I like them in that sequence. The former has more features (in the paid version) and is more 'fool proof' (at least based on my limited experience) but EaseUS is also doing a good job at making full HD backups and so seems Macrium (I have very limited experience with it). 

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:22 AM