none
Services pack 1 for Vista Home premium will not install!

Question

• Services pack 1 keeps failing to install on the second stage. I have tried to install it about 8 or 9 times now but still the same. It just completes the first stage then fails.

Please can you advise me what I need to done to get this to install?

Kind regards

Adam Betts

Friday, October 21, 2011 8:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

During the Windows Vista SP1 installation, this issue occurs when a third-party application holds open a file or locks a file that the Service Pack installation program has to use. For example, a third-party antivirus or antispyware application may cause this problem. If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down during the troubleshooting process. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

I recommend running Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool. System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies can be caused by various hardware failures or software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. We can run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool to resolve these inconsistencies. When Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool detects incorrect manifests, files, or registry data, it might replace the incorrect data with a corrected version. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool

1. Please download and run Reset Windows Update Tool from the link below:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

2. Please download and run System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

3. Restart the computer and install Windows Vista SP1. Let’s reinstall SP1 standalone installer in Clean Boot.
    For your reference, I have attached these steps as below:

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer
    ====================================================
    1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to the System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 544.3MB)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 873.0MB)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=86d267bd-dfcd-47cf-aa76-dc0626dcdf10&DisplayLang=en

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot Mode
    =========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1.:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Please take your time with the steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, please post here for further research.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

During the Windows Vista SP1 installation, this issue occurs when a third-party application holds open a file or locks a file that the Service Pack installation program has to use. For example, a third-party antivirus or antispyware application may cause this problem. If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down during the troubleshooting process. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

I recommend running Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool. System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies can be caused by various hardware failures or software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. We can run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool to resolve these inconsistencies. When Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool detects incorrect manifests, files, or registry data, it might replace the incorrect data with a corrected version. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool

1. Please download and run Reset Windows Update Tool from the link below:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

2. Please download and run System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

3. Restart the computer and install Windows Vista SP1. Let’s reinstall SP1 standalone installer in Clean Boot.
    For your reference, I have attached these steps as below:

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer
    ====================================================
    1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to the System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 544.3MB)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 873.0MB)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=86d267bd-dfcd-47cf-aa76-dc0626dcdf10&DisplayLang=en

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot Mode
    =========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1.:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Please take your time with the steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, please post here for further research.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:46 AM
  • WOW!! AWESOME!!!! I couldn't wait to get back here to reply. I had to reinstall Windows Vista at the end of August 2012 and gave-up on trying to get SP1 to install. I went to Microsoft.com, to the downloads, used the troubleshooter section, forum, community, on-line help [they wanted $100 and gave NO free advice that was at all helpful. But yesterday my daughter was trying to use Steam and it just wasn't performing, so I thought I would give it another go. How I got here was by googling my problem [i guess i didn't do that before].

So, I followed your advice. I downloaded, Reset Windows Update Tool [was a bit disappointed when Fix-It popped up] but it did its thing [i think] in the matter of seconds then I downloaded, System Update Readiness Tool and restarted and continuing with your advice and using msconfig to turn everything off and restarted then downloaded SP1. MY RESULTS ARE 100%!!!!! One thing that you didn't mention was whether to leave everything off while installing the 75+ upgrades that you receive afterward. So, I left everything off. Figured, no interference that way but before installing SP2 I will be switching everything back to its normal ways and if it doesn't work, I  already know what to do!!! 

Thank You Magon Liu So Very Much, You have NO idea how happy you have made us. And it was so easy!!! Thank You!!!!! 

• Proposed as answer by MoonSkipR6 Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:16 PM
  • This procedure DEFINATELY works !!  After puuling my hair out trying to get SP1 to load, I used this and it was clear and easy to use.

Thank you So much for posting this fix !

It's nice to know there are people out there that can truely help.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:19 AM
  • I am having this exact same issue of sp1 of 1.9mb repeatedly offerred for install and every time saying installed succcessflly .. And this procedure did not work for me.   Not only that, this procedure corrupted my base installation and required to restore from image.. It said that the boot loader is missing and once the boot loader is corrupted it wouldn't allow safe boot or restore .. asks for install cd... Luckily I had image backup and could get back on track in under 30 minutes... 

me

Update on 11.9.2012
    ================

For any one still have issues and following this thread :: I  WAS FINALLY ABLE TO SUCESSFULLY INSTALL SP1 and SP2 ON MY SYSTEM YESTERDAY.

Following are the chagnes I did

1.  I have had a video card Galaxay 9650 installed on the factory built HP desktop which I pulled out from the box before running the next step so that the machine would reflect the factory condition.

2.  First few time when I ran the SP1 I have not run that from my DESKTOP. I had the SP1 downloaded to a thumb drive and was installing from the thumb drive.  The last time I copied that to my 'my desktop' and ran which finished successfully and much faster too.
    *** May be Magon Liu could validate if not placing the SP1 package on the desktop wasthe issue really or not ***

3.  I had Kaspersky installed which I completely uninstalled (of course before uninstalling that I installed Microsoft Security Essential and scanned my system which reported no issues and was still running when SP1 and SP2 were installed and is still running now.

4.  Installed ccCleaner and cleaned up the registry / application. And this application was also running at the same time.

• Edited by VCPPLearner Friday, November 09, 2012 4:16 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Hi Magon Liu - Was at my wits ends !

Thank you so much for posting this effective and clear solution. After much time wasting I have now managed to get to SP2 :-)  

Btw you may be interested to know that it wasn't any third party software; I had none as I had just reinstalled Vista HP 32.

Thank you very much indeed :-)

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Same problem here with customers laptop. Fresh install of vista 32bit. No other software loaded yet. Gets to SP1 keeps installing. Followed steps from above, looked like everything was great. Rebooted then went into startup recovery, couldn't recover after a few attempts of restore finally did. I am going to go back through steps when I get home tonight maybe I left one out. Have restored Vista on many units and this is the first run in with this problem??????? Hopefull will work second time around, but if any insight into this please let me know. Thanks
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Got here through another thread saying the solution above is the most effective.  Still waiting to try it out.  I, too, never had any problems with updates before whenever I had to do reformats so this is really frustrating.  I noticed the post dates of those who have the same SP1 problem and we all seem to be experiencing it very recently.

UPDATE:

Worked well. :)  I'm so happy!  I used the standalone installer for SP2 as well and now my computer's back to normal.  Thanks Magon Liu!

• Edited by KitKat15 Friday, November 09, 2012 8:32 AM Updated
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Hi Magon Liu

Would appreciate additional help Please! I have followed your step by step process four times now, each with the same result: Error message stating Error code 0x800f081f and gives a link to microsoft's website with '/fwlink/?LinkId=101139' after 'com'.

Upon going to that site I have followed thier suggested step by step process very similar to yours with same result. Thier 'advanced' LAST suggestion is to uninstall all internet security software/virus protection which I did and still no luck, same error message as above.

Background: Last week I took my computer all the way down and reinstalled Windows Vista. I then loaded all the updates as windows suggested. These included SP1 which initially showed as a 'successful' download and installation but would not show as running in 'computer properties'. In trying to load SP2 it would not load, indicating the need for SP1 first, thus verifying it was not installed even though windows update indicated it was(???). Then I found your thread so I uninstalled SP1 in control panel and followed your process but still can't seem to get it to go. Any ideas?? Please help!!

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Thank you, Magon Liu!  Here in December 2012, I wanted to do my annual routine of stripping my hard drive and then re-installing all programs and replacing my data files.  But Internet Explorer 9 would not download because I could not download the prerequisite SP1 for my Vista Home Premium system.  My old computer gave me Explorer 7, which has a horrible time on today's Internet.  Other Microsoft sites wrongly told me to simply use my computer's Windows Update feature, which inaccurately claimed the SP1 had successfully downloaded when it would not.  Your instructions saved the day (actually days of time for me).  I am most grateful!

-- Steve Fraioli of Binghamton, NY

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fraioli Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:21 AM
    • Edited by Steve Fraioli Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Steve Fraioli Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:28 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Many thanks

Followed to the letter - Perfect

I was doing a quick! reinstall on a dell laptop for the mother in law - updates have taken me all day!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Holy Tits This Really Worked You Are God LOL
    It Is A Very Slow Process Make Sure To Set Aside About 2 Hours But It Is Most Deffanatly Worth It! WORKS 100%
    i Would Reccomend Printing The Steps It Makes It Easire
    • Edited by GTI2080 Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:42 AM
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:40 AM
  • This worked for me as well.  Thank you so much!

Sally

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Thank you very much, Magon Liu!

I also simply had to reload Vista Home Premium -and then the problems with SP1 began. I am so glad this was the first (and only) page I opened after google-ing the problem. While I am very hesitant to try to fix things myself on the computer, your instructions made it feel safe to do this. SP1 now installed!! On to SP2 when Windows finally realizes I don't really have it...

Is it okay to delete it from the desktop now?

Thanks again

Hmmm.... where is the 'vote as helpful' button - cause you have been VERY HELPFUL to us
    • Edited by hespiris Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:01 AM Vote button is where?
    • Proposed as answer by hespiris Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:04 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by hespiris Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Works like a great charm!!! Outstanding and thank you.
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Thank you, Magon Liu.

I've been struggling to upgrade SP1 from a clean restart for a couple of days and your instructions are perfect.

I really like the way you detailed every step in 'non-techno' speak - this is real bonus and very refreshing compared to some of the other web pages I have found where the problem of installing SP1 has been discussed

Regards

I proposed this as an answer in error - it is most obviously not an answer to the problem, just a congratulatory and thankyou message 

• Proposed as answer by shaz49 Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:38 PM
    • Edited by shaz49 Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:47 PM proposed as anser, in error
    • Unproposed as answer by shaz49 Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:47 PM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:37 PM
  • This remedy did install SP 1 - I think. But it has created a whole new litany of problems for me. I am now getting a notice that my Windows Vista is a counterfeit copy? My computer is set up from it's original factory Quick Restore Disc. I am confused? It has also disallowed me to look into my properties of Computer. Can you offer any new advice? Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by papabumpkin Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by papabumpkin Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:58 AM
    Saturday, March 09, 2013 11:56 AM
  • Pardon my impatience please. After resetting the Startup Stuff, and rebooting a few more times, all is well. I have even now gone ahead and installed SP 2 :)  After the 58 Updates, I should be good to go :)

Thank You Magon Liu :)

Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Hi Magon Liu,

my personal experience:

I had to reinstall Win Vista Home premium 64bit. The same problem occurs.

1. Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool and after this SP1 standalone installer in Clean Boot:it did not solved the problem.

The day today it looks like it was timewasting.

2. What work: complete new installation (again), but before Windows update is starting downloading and installing, first SP1 standalone installer and than immidiatly SP2.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:08 PM
  •  

Hi Magon Liu,

Following a new 32bit VISTA install and allowing windows update to do its thing for a few days, installing SP1 failed.

I've followed your procedure exactly and it seemed to be going well until the final reboot, finalising install part 3 when the installation failed with error:

0x800F826

Windows then reverted to the previous configuration.

I was also getting this error prior to trying your method.

Have you any suggestions please?

Best Regards

I've have had another attempt and was successful!!

Following your instructions above, but this time I also disabled Windows Update and McAfee within MSCONFIG, preventing them from starting at start-up.

Did a re-start then ran standalone SP1 from the desktop - Bingo!

I immediately installed standalone SP2 from the desktop, which succeeded first time.

Enabled everything in MSCONFIG as per your instructions above and restarted again.

Windows Update then downloaded 115 updates which have also installed successfully.

Many thanks for your invaluable assistance Magon Liu.

Best Regards

BSA_Twins

• Edited by BSA_Twins Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:03 AM Re-tried installation
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:51 AM
  • You are the best of the best. I have been struggling with the error of SP 1 will not install for months. It all started with a virus and I had to refresh my computer to factory, new out of the box status, well that was 5 plus years old, and it just couldn't get past that one thing, and your exact instructions were the saving grace for me. Thank you 1000 times. 

I had hundreds of failed download attempts over the last 6 months, but in this past week since following your instructions I have had over 200 successful updates. 

I am so happy. 

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Hi Magon Liu,

Thanks. Your post is ABSOLUTELY spot on. I used this method to run SP2 which was taking hours to run and would then revert to SP1. Your directions are clear and so easy to follow.I am really glad you are there helping folks like me.

Thanks again.

canezzar.

• Proposed as answer by kanezzar Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:16 AM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hi

I am having the same problem and followed you helpful directions but ended up with "Service Pack did not install. Reverting Changes."

I have just installed a new hard drive and loaded Windows Vista Business from the OEM disk without any problem.  I then loaded all the updates offered on Windows Update.  It now offers SP1 and I have tried twice to install it but it loads all they way until 100% and then fails.

Having looked at various Forums I turned off Windows Virus protection and tried again.  McAfee was installed on the old hard drive but there is no sign of it on the system now.  SP1 failed again at the 100%.

Can you advise what I should do next please?

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Magon Liu,

First thank you for all the work you put into this.  That being said I have to be one that says it did not work for me.

I followed your procedure but ended up with "Service Pack did not install. Reverting Changes."

I have just installed a new larger hard drive, cloned my existing XP partitions to it then upgraded to Windows Vista Business from our VL disk without any problem.  I proceeded to then load all the updates offered on Windows Update.  It now offers SP1 and I have tried many times now using both the offered DL from update and your suggestion of the standalone DL to install it but no matter what I try it loads all they way to 100% and then fails.

Having looked at various Forums I turned off Windows Virus protection and several variations including ALL security options and Windows Update.  Endpoint Protection 2012 was installed on the old hard drive but there is no sign of it on the system now.  SP1 failed again at the 100%.

Can you or anyone seeing this advise what I should do next please?

Thanks In Advance.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:24 PM
  • I know this old, but still using Vista to build computers for kids/parents without $...

Had this same issue after getting a batch of Vista Home Pro upgrades donated. Called Microsoft support and was told three time my only choice was to reformat and start over. I did. I didn't work. Hours and hours wasted.

Searched and found this thread. It is a life saver! Worked perfectly.

Thank you @Magon Liu! Your share of knowledge is appreciated more than you know.

Terry

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Worked as described.  Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:06 AM
  • I tried everything to the letter...Goes through installation to the end (3 of 3) then stops resets to black screen and tells me it cannot install the service pack possible corrupt file and to reinsert the vista DVD and Repair...Could I have a corrupted file??Any other suggestions??

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Thank you so much for the information. It finally installed the Service Pack! Wahoo!
    Friday, October 25, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hello. I'm new to the forum. First forum ever actually.

I followed all the instructions above, but with no success. I even uninstalled AVG and turned off Windows Update in the MS Config services box, like the other fellow. But still now success.  Will read a little further down into the thread, but don't think there's much more I can do. I have the same problem most do, SP1 installs all the way to the end and then says it was not loaded and files get "reverted" back to prior to the install. My error code was 0x800Fo826, just like the other fellow. 

Any ideas for me? 

Sunday, December 22, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Many, many thanks for this fix! Without people like you in this world, I am sure we wouldn't have left the caves.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:42 PM
  • TimothySB, 

I'm having the same problem as you. If you come up with something that works let me know. I'll do the same.I tried this fix multiple times with the no sucess.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:40 AM
  • DMMc59,

I had the same problem.If you find a way to load the SP1 please let me know, and i will do the same.

thanks,

fcirone

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

I'm a bit gutted because I've worked very carefully through your list of things to do, and despite taking my time, and trying many times, I just can't get sp1 to install. It tries, but gives me the same message that other people are getting part way through.

I'm not an IT expert, but I do have some knowledge.

I've uninstalled or disabled everything I can possibly think of that might be affecting the install, but I'm obviously missing something.

Having been trying all afternoon and evening I'm now completely sick of it, and have just re-enabled everything so that I can use the laptop again, and will try again another day!

Please can anyone suggest anything that I haven't thought of that might need disabling?

My laptop is an HP G60 Notebook

I have Windows Vista Ultimate

I didn't have Virusware installed that I was aware of, i.e. Norton, AVG etc, as the program I recently put on kept making the laptop crash, and I hadn't decided what I was going to get instead!

I have just installed Microsoft Security Essentials, but only AFTER I gave up trying to install sp1!

I disabled Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender.

If anyone has come across any particular programs that interfered with sp1 PLEASE can you let me know!!

I was SO chuffed to find this help page that it's really disappointing and frustrating that I can't get it to work for me!

Oh yes.. one thing.... When I tried to do the MISCONFIG step, my search box wouldn't find it. I poked around and eventually accessed what I think was the same thing via...

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and System Configuration, but I noticed that although I followed the instructions above about disabling things, when I went back into it later the boxes were all ticked again, so I'm not convinced that the settings were staying as I put them. An "Apply" button came up at the bottom. It isn't mentioned on here that I should click that. It just says to click on "Ok". I tried both ways, but I'm not sure that either worked. Can anyone advise me about this step (disabling the Start up group) and whether I'm doing it the right way, as I can't find it through using MISCONFIG cos I don't seem to have the same search box as described!

Thanks in advance!

I REALLY hope that one of you can help me!!

I'm desperate to join the happy band of successful sp1 installers!! :-)

Sandy

Sunday, February 02, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Hi Magon Liu,

I was experiencing problems with my Service Pack 1, and I found your post. I followed the instructions you wrote down and I finally got Service Pack 1 on my system. I want to say thank you for the help and advice.

I could also install MS Office 2010. 

Regards,

Alburr

Monday, February 24, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Thanks Magon for the very detailed instruction, looks like a lot of people finally installed SP1 on Vista successfully.

I am not so lucky, followed the steps until the end, when I installed SP1 file (from my desktop), error message with 0x800700D.

I can't figured out why... anyone can help me? Many thanks. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ISSUE RESOLVED.  ATTENTION to DELL USERS - seems like one of the DELL driver is causing the conflict.  If you are going to rebuild (dban) your Dell, make sure you install SP1/SP2 right after the installation of Vista.  Once SP2 is completed, go ahead and install all Dell drivers.  Do it in this order you will avoid the hassle trying to figure out why errors always occur during SP1 installation!  Thanks all for posting your experience and observations. Good luck all. 

Sunday, March 09, 2014 5:59 AM
  • Sandy, sometimes it's a bit frustrated to try to figure out which program/driver is causing the conflict.  Backup all the files and dban the HD.  Then install Vista on a clean HD, once successful, will recommend to install SP1/SP2 before installing any HP drivers.

Can't post link, pls google term "Full Review of DBAN, Free Data Destruction Software Tool" , and check the ABOUT.COM site for instructions how to clean up the HD.  You can copy the program on a CD, Dban program is very easy to use.

Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Not sure if this will help, but I solved my issues by changing the order of programs/drivers installed on my Dell.  Once I backup all files and dban my HD, I installed Vista back, then install SP1/SP2 right away.  Once successful (and it should), then install other applicable drivers.

It works for me.  Although I haven't figured out which driver(s) was causing the conflict..... well, not really a concern anymore.  Good luck.

Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:56 PM
  • I recently reformatted 6 computers with Vista Business - but this 7th one with Windows Vista Home Premium, (on a Gateway pc), was the worst one because of the SP1 problem. I even reformatted twice to try and resolve the issue. I saw a link on another site that brought me here and boy am I glad. I got the SP1 after only the third step. I am so thankful there are people like you who take the time to help us.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:46 AM
  • I followed your instructions and it worked. Right now I am installing SP2. Thank you very much.
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Thank you, thank you......followed your instructions and it worked....the step 2 tool took 3 hours 20 mins to finish and it looked like it was stuck but I left it alone and it finished fine.

I had all the problems everyone else had, SP1 would install but only took about 2 mins, but system properties did not say it was installed but the update history did.  After I followed your instructions SP1 took 1 hr 30 mins to install, then SP2 installed ok in about 1 hr.  Restart went ok.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:19 PM
  • You solved the problem for me - that's very much appreciated. Thanks!

One remaining query:

You said to save Vista SP1 update package (Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave1) to desktop.

Presumably it's not meant to stay on the desktop, so I'm guessing it's OK to go ahead and delete it, but when i try this, i get a warning message that this is a system file and do i really want to delete it...?

Is it OK to delete?

Thanks again.

Majdnem

:O)

Saturday, April 26, 2014 7:56 PM
  • superb.... worked for me after hours of frustration... thanks :-)
    Friday, May 02, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Thanks, Magon Liu.  Your solution worked perfectly after days of frustration.

Monday, June 02, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Thank you Magon Liu! Worked like a charm for me!
    Friday, June 13, 2014 10:02 PM