none
Cannot install Java Runtime Environment in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (and other installers too...)

Question

• Hi,

I'm having problems in installing Java Runtime Environment in Win 7 (JRE and some Games too). 
    I tried the web install and the local install to no avail.

This is the error that I get whenever I run the installer. Error 1606. Could Not Access Network Location %APPDATA%\.
    Both x86 and x64 versions of the JRE installer are throwing this kind of error.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may occur if user profile setting is incorrect. You can try the following steps:

Modify the register key

================

1. Click Start, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

3. Right-click on User Shell Folders folder and choose Export.

4. Select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry key by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

5. In the details pane of User Shell Folders, right-click AppData, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming, and then click OK.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

If it does not work, try creating a new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:33 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I've installed on my test system "Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_19" with no issues so far. Which version are you trying?

Regards
    If it was helpful, please vote! · · ¡Si te ayudó, por favor vota!
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 10:46 AM
  • It's Version 6 Update 16.. (Just downloaded the most recent copy from SUN)
    I think it because the APPDATA environment variable is not set.
    It just doesn't work for most installers but for other apps like DeepBurner and WinRar, I was able to install.

Please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may occur if user profile setting is incorrect. You can try the following steps:

Modify the register key

================

1. Click Start, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

3. Right-click on User Shell Folders folder and choose Export.

4. Select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry key by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

5. In the details pane of User Shell Folders, right-click AppData, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming, and then click OK.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

If it does not work, try creating a new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:33 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:08 AM
  • This is did not fix a similar problem I have.  Is here any other way to fix the "Error 1606" in Windows 7?  Getting desperate, please help. Thanks.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:53 AM