none
Mode Not Supported on my TV

Question

• I have Windows 7 Professional x64, and a Radeon 4850 video card. I have a 52" Samsung TV hooked up via VGA. (DVI to VGA)
    When the computer restarts, I can see the computer booting on the TV, but as soon as it gets into Windows the screen goes black and says MODE NOT SUPPORTED.
    To resolve this issue, I have to take my 22" Dell flat screen monitor and plug it into the other DVI plug on the back of the video card. The monitor does not need the power plugged into it, just the DVI between the monitor and video card. As soon as I plug that second monitor in, the Samsung TV gets signal again, and then I can unplug my 22" monitor, and it stays fine, until I reboot again or unplug the TV from the computer.

I have tried previous versions of the ATI driver, even the 8.9 as reccomended by someone else, but they are all unstable on my computer and cause BSOD/restarts every couple hours, or if the TV is unplugged. The only stable driver is the 9.12 or whatever the latest one is. And to add, the previous versions did not resolve the issue either, on booting into Windows, it would still say "Mode Not Supported"

I am able to reproduce this error on several different TVs (computer monitors seem to work fine).

I have had the graphics card swapped out for a brand new one, exact same model (Radeon 4850 HD)

Same exact configuration on Vista Ultimate x64, and never had this problem. It is definitely a Windows 7 problem.

Thanks for the help.
    Greg
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ty the new drivers, new ones are published very frequently.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

See my site for detailed machine information

Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

Apart from installing the latest graphice card driver as a test, I was wondering the model of the DVI to VGA converter. Does it need any converter driver? If so, install the latest compatible one.

In additon, updating your BIOS and chipset drivers should also be under consideration.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Hi Greg,

It is a known issue on Windows 7 with LCD TVs. The most cause is due to the display driver. Radeon 4850 HD is designed using WDDM 1.0 driver. But Windows 7 requires WDDM 1.1 driver to be fully function with TVs. ATI addressed an official announcement:

"ATI All-in-Wonder™ cards function with AMD Windows Vista-Ready display drivers in Windows 7. However there is currently no software application which provides TV/Capture functionality for All-in-Wonder™ cards in Windows 7."

Resource: ATI Catalyst™ 10.1 Suite for Windows 7 (64 bit)

Please note: we provide the 3rd party link for references. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

As a work around, you can use HDMI connecting with TVs.

For references:

Windows 7 Ultimate / Samsung LN32A650/ATI RADEON./1920 x 1080 Problem

mode not supported on my samsung 20 inch flat tv when i try to install windows vista.. HELP! i cant find any solutions to this

Best Regards
    Dale

Friday, January 29, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Oh, thanks! I could've swore it was a known problem, I was just having trouble finding that.

So you're saying if I buy a newer video card (one that is designed with WDDM 1.1), then I will not have this problem anymore?
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:21 PM
  • I am using an antique shader 2 card at the moment. Expecting a shader 4 card soon. Windows is built around shader 2 so that is all you need.

The problem is with connecting the disparate displays that have come to the market.

Windows Vista is shader 4, Windows 7 is shader 5. That is for DirectX not for the Aero desktop.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site, need a video card for the Windows machine, the 8600 GT fried
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:25 PM