none
How to create a virtual lab like microsofts virtual labs

Question

• I was wondering how to create virtual labs like microsoft has for free on thewir website. I work at a school and wish to try turning a virtual hard drive into a lab with a little programming. What should I look for to attempt this? (Really appreciate if your reference material you provide a link to it unless unable to. Helps me to understand you better. :))

Thanks and i hope im not asking too much. Im think of making a computer image with adobe photoshop on it and making a lab for multimedia publishing, image editing, and classes taught by computer teachers in the school i work at. Im an IT in KY.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    • Edited by The Thinker Monday, December 12, 2011 5:25 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• But for an example can you help me through something much simpler like if the person installs adobe reader correctly then the lab is complete and it resets itself to an earlier state without adobe reader?

Thats an example of something simple and then i might be able to figure out if want to do if you can list the functions i would need.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Hi Thinker,

Sorry for the offtop. I am trying to develop a mouse emulator, OS should detect it as a "real" mouse, but I need to have control over it from my c# app. I guess this is something what you were trying to implement (I need just 1 mouse, not 4 :)). It would be great if you share some code, maybe links, hints etc, since it looks you know a lot about mouse emulators, dsf and other related technologies. I have looked over your posts, but didn't find any complete sample, though maybe I am missing something. Thanks in advance.

Sergey.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Look at kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com (my project) and in the downloads section their should be a test script im using but dsf is only for learning/internal testing purposes so you might get in trouble if used in commerical setting for money directly.

The script works like the wdk guys said it would but the 0's in the input report are for the mouse wheel. But you could just use windows apis and virtual pc does have a sdk included with that lists a api to move the mouse in it.

The default behavior if i dont have a multi mouse program is for the second mouse to try to "take over" the first mouse in windows.

Theirs not much difference between my sample on codeplex and using the windows apis except you can control the mouse wheel. Why cant you use windows apis? Ask the VB forum first but usually you can find good examples to control the mouse using the windows api in most languages or google "control  mouse in vb.net or your language".

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Thinker, thanks for your reply!

I am working on some kind of remote desktop control app. The problem with windows API is that mouse clicks and moves are marked with "injected" flag when generated from Win API, so some apps that check this flag may not respond properly. The only way I see now is to develop a "fake" mouse/keyboard (VM is not an option as well)

I am installing WDK to try out the sample wsf you've uploaded to kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com. Did you manage to control the emulated devices from .Net code? Maybe it is better to move our discussion to kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com forum?

P.S. I am not working on a commercial project, it is an academic project.

Sergey.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Yes, it would be fine to use it then if for educational projects. But my use of the kinect was for purely for educational purposes anyways.

I would move to the discussion out kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com or wdk forums but i have found out that tim and pavel are the best at help on wdk and sometimes doran is helpful with hints but you usually have to know simple things about driver development or a simple term for them to help you in correct manner.

Also, you just have to use the dsf com components from dotnet or find that article on msdn or wdk help files on making the com components appear in dotnet and the recode of my test script in vb.net or c# would not be that much difficult to do because its in aplha testing stage right now.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Anyone know about the VRMC control? I heard someone talk abut using it to control the virtual machine but would i need a script or asp.net program to reset the machine after the virtual machine is over?

Trouble is detecting if a program was installed or if someone clicked a certain button.

Can anyone help me with this virtual machine problem?

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Sergey,

Instead of going off topic you should have started your own thread using the Ask a Question link at the top right of the page.  What you are doing here is called hijacking a thread.  It makes it difficult for others to sort out what subject they are responding to.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Anyone help with my scenario? I understand about undo disks to undo the changes made but is their a way to save the state of a virtual machine and then compare that to say the state their machine is in now and say they completed the lab if it is the same? Also, this is optional but preferrably i was wanting to try and create steps like when they complete objective 1 thats first step until they reach the final state of the lab which goes back up to the previous question above.

Does involve virtual pc sdk but i though i would ask since this is virtual pc forums and i hate getting pushed to another forum that might push me back here.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Have you tried asking in the Technet Virtual Labs forums about how they do it?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/ms772425

This forum is predominately XP Mode and WVPC users who have single-user questions.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Can you list a more direct link to virtual pc sdk because i have a hard time finding that forum from google or a search.
    • Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:22 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:54 PM
  • P.S. that link is borken that virtual labs forum doesnt exist anymore. They gotten rid of other forums and try to put the responsibility on you and other people. I know it seems like the right place but i still cant get the forum from you link above can you recheck maybe?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:23 PM
  • The link is working fine.  Try the the main page at

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb467605

If that doesn't work then copy and paste the link into your browser address bar.

• Edited by Cbarnhorst Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by The Thinker Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Yeah they have closed down a lot of forums in last year or two and wouldnt doubt it if that is one of them!
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Im still having trouble finding the right page and i couldnnt find a support email on their either.

If you find one on windows server 2003 with virtual server 2005 R2 then tell me because i've searched high and low and only found a virtual server forum but have received no response.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:02 PM
  • I can't help you with that.  I don't use the Virtual Labs. 
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Thanks for trying though i almost thought your link would help but they dont have a forum or support other then microsoft answers for the virtual labs.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:12 PM