none
Customizing a folder menu in taskbar

Question

• Hello.

We have a customer who will migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7. All users have their own "Office menu" in their start menu which contains folders and shortcuts which creates a menu-hierarchy. But according to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/3fe9f7f9-53a5-4792-adb7-03ae4b80516c this can't be done in Windows 7.

I'm close to finishing off an alternative: Putting the menu into the taskbar, but there is a snag. I set up the folder (with subfolders and shortcuts) on the local drive and create a new toolbar poiting to the folder. I set it up like we want it and then I export the reg-key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop. This .reg file is then deplaoyed as a startup script with GPO (User configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Scripts\Logon) and the script is regedit.exe with parameter "/s officemenu.reg" which is the name of the exported file. The file is placed in the folder which opens when you press "show files" in that window.

So far everything is peachy, but the result is that the folder is barely visible when placed next to the start menu reagardless how far to the left I drag the quick launch bar. As soon as I lock the taskbar the folder peaks out a little bit.

The folder shows slightly

A potential solution a friend of mine discovered was to set the theme to Windows basic, pull the quick launch all the way to the left, lock it and then switch the theme back and it works. But this position is not saved when I export the registry key again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? We have a couple of thousand clients so manual routine is not an option at all, neither is runnung in basic theme.

Thank you in advance

Regards Per-Torben Sørensen

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

I performed the steps via the guild “enable the Quick Launch bar in Windows 7”. The display is normally and the folder is visible.

Create a folder in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. Drag the Quick Launch bar to the leftside of the task bar. Clear Show Text and Show title. Lock the taskbar and it displays as it should be.

If the issue occur after the deployment, you may check the issue from the deployment side.

Meanwhile, you can post your question in Scripting forum for assistance.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/scripting

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, July 02, 2012 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:11 AM

All replies