none
Concurrent sessions (Remote desktop) in Windows 7

Question

• I have been working on a base image for a few weeks now and almost have it exactly as I want it.  Now I am also working on an iteration with concurrent windows sessions enabled, as shown here: 

http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com%5Fcontent&task=view&id=3692&Itemid=232

The reason I am interested in this is, as an admin at my company, I can log on remotely and troubleshoot/install items behind the 
    scenes and not interrupt work flow for the end user.

There appears to be no privacy issue involved with this. I am wondering why it is not available as an option in RDP settings within 
    windows 7 but instead have to do this work around?

Are there security or other concerns a more experienced admin can point out to me? Any reason not to incorporate this?  
    I've tested it and it works great but know I am still relatively inexperienced in this field.

Also, is there a way to easily reverse this if one decides to change it later?

Thanks for any help!

Monday, March 15, 2010 5:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The Windows 2003 and windows 2008 support the Multiple Concurrent Remote Desktop, but Win 7 does not support Multiple Concurrent Remote Desktop by default.

In serever 2003, Remote Desktop allows for 2 administrative connections without the need to purchase additional licenses. If you want multiple people to connect to the server, then you can install terminal services on that machine and purchase the required licenses.

You can create a restore point before trying to enable Concurrent Sessions. Then you can simply perform a system restore to reverse it.

Thomas77
    • Edited by Thomas_77 Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:11 AM
  • It does not matter that the second login is a tech doing anything, it is still two current users.

It matters not that the license is a volume license.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:19 PM

All replies

• I think you find it is a license violation, as win 7 is single user at time OS.
    As with all version of windows you need a license for all current users.

If you "hack it" you have violated the TOS and have voided the windows license.

At any given time Microsoft could add this hack to the list to check for, and upon finding it could tag the install as not genuine.

Monday, March 15, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

The Windows 2003 and windows 2008 support the Multiple Concurrent Remote Desktop, but Win 7 does not support Multiple Concurrent Remote Desktop by default.

In serever 2003, Remote Desktop allows for 2 administrative connections without the need to purchase additional licenses. If you want multiple people to connect to the server, then you can install terminal services on that machine and purchase the required licenses.

You can create a restore point before trying to enable Concurrent Sessions. Then you can simply perform a system restore to reverse it.

Thomas77
    • Edited by Thomas_77 Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Hello. My post was missing some information now that I reread it.  These concurrent sessions would not involve multiple people using these workstations for work.  Each station has one end user logged on at a time and the concurrent RD session would be used only for tech troubleshooting purposes.  

Our company has a volume license agreement so it is one license for all users.

At any one point in time, no more than two people will be logged into a single workstation; One who is the end user at the physical location of the computer doing work, and one who is the tech logged on remotely for a brief period of troubleshooting.  Thanks for the responses.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:01 PM
  • It does not matter that the second login is a tech doing anything, it is still two current users.

It matters not that the license is a volume license.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I successfully used MissingRemote's guide, but it did not do what I wanted it to.  And now I cannot revert it without doing a system restore!  (too much of a pain now, as you will see if you read on)

While you can enable multiple sessions under the same account, and there are times in my life when this capability would have been useful, I really just wanted to remotely access a server in my house without kicking off the current user.  Basically "Remote Assistance" but perpetually.

Unfortunately that does not seem to be possible with RD server or Remote Assistance.  Thus I had to use UltraVNC since RealVNC is unsupported on Windows 7.  (Lots of errors when you try to connect, etc.)

This works quite well, even if it is not built-in to Windows, but I think I'd like to revert to the functionality where I can have remote access without duplicating the current user's account.  Anyone know how I revert without doing a system restore?

Many thanks.  (sorry to the Windows devs: I wish I could do this without 3rd-party software!  RDP and App sharing are both pretty cool without any of these hacks.)

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Real VNC 4.5.1 on all NON PRO versions will work. I'm workin on a fix or workaround for win 7 pro now so that I can connect but not log the other guy out.
    Monday, April 30, 2012 2:15 AM
  • To Enable Multiple Concurrent Users in Remote Desktop for Windows 7  check below link.

http://www.optimusbi.com/2012/12/05/enable-concurrent-rdp-connections-windows/
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:24 AM