none
Video hardware error (LiveKernelEvent BCCode 117), tried different video cards

Question

• Hello,

I am having a strange problem with a home office PC running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional. It happens most often when playing Spider Solitaire, but sometimes even when idle. Here is the output from the Action Center

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID:    1033

Files that help describe the problem
    WD-20101220-2220.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
    Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode:    117
    BCP1:    FFFFFA80043504E0
    BCP2:    FFFFF88003B8C67C
    BCP3:    0000000000000000
    BCP4:    0000000000000000
    OS Version:    6_1_7600
    Service Pack:    0_0
    Product:    256_1

I thought that my video card (originally a ATI Radeon HD 4550) is faulty, so I uninstalled all of its drivers and bought a brand new one (Nvidia GeForce GT210), but I get exactly the same freezes with the same BCCode 117. I have updated the system bios to the latest one available and that did not help. I have also tried running both memtest86+ (v4.10) and the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and both of them report no errors in the RAM. I'm really at a loss as to what can be causing this -- does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Friday, December 24, 2010 8:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Correct me if i'm wrong, you mean you get frequent freeze be it you are gaming or at time even if the rig stays idle? Suggest you to look for clues and sign in event logs under adminstrative tools>event viewer
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 1:22 AM
  • I get frequent freezes when "gaming" (read: playing Spider Solitaire) and much less frequent freezes when doing anything else (although it does happen). I have looked at the Event Viewer and all it reports at the time of the crash is a Kernel-Power error which I would assume is due to me rebooting the computer.
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 2:29 AM
  • We can't debug this because the public symbols are missing the required data. Contact the MS support to get help.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

Could you provide the details of Event Viewer?

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I found a tool on a different forum that prints the event viewer logs; I have put them in a zip file and uploaded them to this link . They're rather large and contain a lot of events so if you would like something more specific, please provide instructions and I will trim it down to a subset.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

After checking your log files, I found the main issue is a Kernel-Power error.

Did you test this issue in Safe Mode? If not, I suggest you run a FULL scan in Safe Mode, and then check the result.

If this issue persists, you could also update the chipset driver to the latest for test.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following link with you:

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first”

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:48 AM
  • If updating the graphic card driver and the BIOS doesn't work you should contact the support. We can't debug this.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Alex,

I tried updating the chipset drivers and it does not help. Safe Mode works fine and in fact my current workaround for this issue is to use the Standard VGA driver that Safe Mode uses. As long as I do this, then even normal Windows works without crashes, but of course the price of this trick is a lower resolution for the display, no Aero and software rendering of everything so it's not a good solution. Kernel-Power is just me pushing the power button because there is nothing else I can do after it freezes.

Andre,

I though these forums were a means of contacting Microsoft support. Is there a more direct way?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Andre,

I though these forums were a means of contacting Microsoft support. Is there a more direct way?

No, this is an user are helping users forum with moderators which work for MSFT.

To contact the support follow this link:

Contact a support professional by E-mail, Online, or Phone

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:36 PM