none
Error 1325. 'Documents' is not a valid short file name.

Question

• Hi, everyone.  I'll apologize in advance for the length...

I'm trying to run AutoCAD 2011 and AutoCAD 2011 Mechanical on a Dell Precision laptop (i7, 8GB RAM, Win7 64-bit), but it acts in a peculiar fashion.  I installed the apps with my network admin account (hudsonsa), and can run them without issue using that account.  I have issues with a second user, however.  Although he is a local admin, he gets an "Error 1325. 'documents' is not a valid short file name" whenever he tries to launch either app.  Clicking OK on the error window will allow AutoCAD to start configuring the Language Pack, only to give the same error again.  I went through a similar issue with another user a few months back--our eventual "fix" was to change the name of his login ID, thus giving him a new login, but this is obviously a workaround and not a solution.  Nevertheless, I tried that with this user and it still didn't work.

Here's the kicker:  I can use a generic account that I've set up for some of our low-end users (standard user account, no particular permissions) and AutoCAD will work flawlessly with that account.  There is something about this particular account that causes the problem. 

It should also be noted that AutoCAD Inventor 2011 (part of the Mechanical install) worked for this user during this time. (?????)  All other software performs as required; this is the only package that doesn't want to work.

Using domain user accounts without roaming profiles.

Things I have tried (many based on forums and KB documents):

Made sure user's account has full control over appropriate applications

Made sure UAC is off

Used System File Checker--no integrity violations reported

Searched the registry for all occurrences of the word "documents," changed any reference to our redirected file share from a server link to a drive map link (ie <\\server\storage\user\documents> became <M:\documents>)--no help

Performed a clean uninstall of the AutoCAD software per Autodesk's instructions, used the Windows utility for removing User Accounts to remove the user's account, then reinstalled AutoCAD and added the user--no change

Tried removing the user's account from the PC and recreating no less than five times--never successful

Finally, I broke down and did a reformat/reinstall of Windows 7, installed antivirus and then AutoCAD 2011.  Logged back in as the user in question and... same error, right off the bat.

Tried searching the registry for installer components the user doesn't have access to, but it appears that the user has access to all of them.

I have worked with AutoCAD support extensively, and they believe the Windows installer is the source of the problem.  I can't refute that--the error message would seem to confirm it--but I can't fix it with any solution I've found online so far.

Also tried creating a copy of the user's account in Active Directory, then removing security groups from that account one at a time (launching AutoCAD after each removal) to see if that would eventually let the account log on.  It finally did--the account eventually was able to run AutoCAD--but when I tried removing that last group from the user's account it didn't work.  This tells me that there are probably two or more groups causing an issue (removed over time while I experimented), and there are so many groups that a trial-and-error approach to finding them would be useless.

I've tried running the app in Compatibility Mode, but it doesn't offer an option for Windows XP.  I've tried the options for Vista (including SP1 and SP2) as well as Server 2008 and none of them make a difference.

Other notes:

Used Process Monitor to capture both a successful and unsuccessful launch.  For some reason the unsuccessful launch tries to access data in <C:\Users\hudsonsa> whereas the successful launch never does.  We don't know why that is, and suspect that the answer may lead to a solution.

UAC was activated during AutoCAD installation after the Windows reinstall.  I've debated reinstalling all over again, but UAC was deactivated when the software was originally installed and the problem obviously existed then, so I haven't felt the need as of yet.

I'm not sure if I can add files to a post--if so, then I could post the PM logs for someone to inspect.  I can follow them, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for...

This problem has run me in so many different directions that I'm not sure exactly where I need to look for a solution.  AutoCAD support hasn't quite thrown up their hands yet, but they very firmly suggested I seek Microsoft help.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Please, ask me questions, jog my brain, anything to find a solution. 

Thanks for your time...

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:07 PM

Answers

• I just wanted to thank everyone who offered such helpful comments and suggestions over the last three weeks...

I have not solved this issue, but I have uncovered another workaround, so I thought that might prove useful to someone else out there.  I created an exact copy of my user's account in Active Directory and attempted to log on with it.  Unsurprisingly, I got the same errors as with the original account.  At that point, however, I began to remove permissions from the account (by shortening its "Members of" list) and trying to launch the AutoCAD software after each removal.  Eventually I pared the list of groups from 20 down to four.  At that point, the account was able to use AutoCAD without a problem.  I tried a few security adjustments to my user's account and couldn't get anywhere with it.

I created a completely new account, though, and added my user's "Member of" groups back to it, one by one, checking AutoCAD after each add.  AutoCAD worked upon initial login, and it continued to work as I added more groups.  I was eventually able to create a new, equivalent account for my user in which AutoCAD was finally an effective tool.  I can't call this acceptable, since it requires my user to change his login and set up his system all over again, but it does at least get him working.

I feel it important to note here that the AutoCAD family of products were the only applications my user had any problem with.  I say that because, although this appeared to be an Active Directory-related issue--there is obviously something wrong with my user's original account--no other software had any issue with that account whatsoever.  So, although I've circumvented the problem for the time being, I'm still no closer to an actual solution or explanation for what happened, and the fine folks who support AutoCAD are still eagerly pointing their fingers in Microsoft's direction.

• Marked as answer by StevieRea Friday, November 18, 2011 2:38 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:38 PM

All replies

• I just wanted to thank everyone who offered such helpful comments and suggestions over the last three weeks...

I have not solved this issue, but I have uncovered another workaround, so I thought that might prove useful to someone else out there.  I created an exact copy of my user's account in Active Directory and attempted to log on with it.  Unsurprisingly, I got the same errors as with the original account.  At that point, however, I began to remove permissions from the account (by shortening its "Members of" list) and trying to launch the AutoCAD software after each removal.  Eventually I pared the list of groups from 20 down to four.  At that point, the account was able to use AutoCAD without a problem.  I tried a few security adjustments to my user's account and couldn't get anywhere with it.

I created a completely new account, though, and added my user's "Member of" groups back to it, one by one, checking AutoCAD after each add.  AutoCAD worked upon initial login, and it continued to work as I added more groups.  I was eventually able to create a new, equivalent account for my user in which AutoCAD was finally an effective tool.  I can't call this acceptable, since it requires my user to change his login and set up his system all over again, but it does at least get him working.

I feel it important to note here that the AutoCAD family of products were the only applications my user had any problem with.  I say that because, although this appeared to be an Active Directory-related issue--there is obviously something wrong with my user's original account--no other software had any issue with that account whatsoever.  So, although I've circumvented the problem for the time being, I'm still no closer to an actual solution or explanation for what happened, and the fine folks who support AutoCAD are still eagerly pointing their fingers in Microsoft's direction.

• Marked as answer by StevieRea Friday, November 18, 2011 2:38 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:38 PM
  • I solved this problem by changing some values in my computer's registry.  It seems a thumb drive I used (SanDisk Cruzer) altered the drive location and path/values for Documents in the HKEY_USERS shells for History and Favorites.  Once I changed the drive letter back to C:, and entered the path and values for other items like Pictures and Music the problem was solved.  You'll need to look at all of the Shell items to make sure they have the correct drive ID, and the same values as like folders.  You'll need to run RegEdit to look at the HKEY_USERS folder.  Once you're there any anomalies should be easy to locate.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 1:44 PM