none
Monitor gets a "signal out of range" error during installation

Question

• (Moved from here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/438d940e-78f1-4d7f-8643-9cae02f524c9)

I launch setup, it works, then it reboots, the monitor gets a "signal out of range" error and enters stand by for a while BUT then it seems to work, everything goes on, it arrives at the last step, after "installing features" and "installing updates" the setup arrives at completing installation, then reboots.

After this reboot, nothing. I see that the hard drive is working, but the monitor get "signal out of range", then the signal comes just for a second, just for a second I can see the mouse on black screen, then, "signal out of range" and the monitor doesn't exit stanby mode anymore.

I waited a lot, I waited for the hard drive to finish working, then I waited for half an hour. I forced reboot and I encountered the some problem.

Actually I have win xp sp3. The monitor is a FLATRON L1510M, my motherboard is a MSI 651 M-L (pentium 4 monoprocessor).

On another machine (dual core) it works perfectly. Hardware issue? Well, I tried to check for compatibility issues before installing with the program that setup suggests to download, and well, of course it says that I'll have to update the mobo's driver, but no other issues were detected.

Any suggestion?

What is your graphics card?
    On this PC there are no graphics cards. I use the built-in SiS chipset in windows xp.
    On the other one (dual) there is a NVIDIA and I had no problems.

I've tried to use the other monitor (the one that worked during setup on the other PC), but on this PC it doesn't work properly. It works with winxp, it doesn't with the setup process.

So, I guess I have to rule out that this is a hardware issue. I hope that, as snifferpro stated, this happen just because it's the RC1 version. This second PC, in theory, meets the minimum requirements:
    it's a MSI 651M-L (MS-7005), 1 Northwood processor, 2 GB RAM; it performs perfectly with (relatively) cpu-intensive programs in xp.

Oh, by the way. I've tried to install Win 7 on a second drive (D:). When setup failed, I haven't been able the reboot normally. I had to use the recovery console via win xp cd, make a fixboot (and - optional - delete the hidden boot directory created on the *first* drive).
    If your video card has 2 ports, try connecting your monitor to the second port on
    final boot.
    Just one port, I use just the only mobo's port. (No graphic cards).

Ok, I tried again. With no result.
    I tried beginning the installation from xp (XP in c:; destination of win7: D:), I tried (after needed reset of MBR and boot via xp cd) to install booting from the DVD, I tried (after needed second reset of MBR and boot via xp cd) to install via Virtual PC too (!!),

with NO result.

I tried to switch monitor,

with NO result.

As far as I can understand, when it boots from the DVD at first it let the monitor catch a "Out of range signal" error, but after that it loads (I presume) a generic VGA driver (as normal: it's normal to install mobo's driver after win).
    The fact is that, when it boots from hd for completion, it leaves the monitor with the "out of range signal" error. It tries (it seem to try) to correct it, and I can see the mouse icon just for a second. But after that, nothing.

Can you do an f8 and get to the windows options menu to Turn On Boot Logging?
    No I can't. On reboot the monitor is immediately frozen (just after the bios). I tried with no success.
    I can't try again right now, as far as I already "casted" a fixboot + fixmbr (in order to load win xp).
    I can give it a try once again, it will take a while (...)

@jeffkenney5150: I have only the VGA cable. It's not VGI/DVI issue. It's impossible for me to access, in any way, the windows 7 desktop.

@snifferpro: I start immediately pressing F8, believe me, I know how to access windows Boot Options (for Safe Mode or whatever).
    It's simply impossible. The monitor goes out just after the BIOS post.

I recovered boot, this time, via the Windows 7 DVD (and not via win xp recovery console). It starts with windows xp, I'll try later to access Boot Manager (will boot loader recognise win 7?), now I'm on the first machine [the other one, on which win 7 has been successfully installated].

I thought that maybe, if I first download the SiS Vista compatible driver and then launch setup, maybe Win 7 setup will "see" them (even if I had to do that within xp, prior to reboot for completing installation of the Vista drivers - they would not run under xp, I guess). I've read somewhere that Win 7 "could" be able to locate them, I'll let you know.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Harvey, what are the system specs for the machine your are having a problem with?

You seem to have an error with an ATI device and Silicon image device.

I know CRT's are not used today, but using a CRT to possibly get Win 7 fully installed
    is definitely worth a shot.  Even if you have to go to a second hand store and buy
    one for 10 bucks.

Check Grayhorses response in the BSOD 7 RC thread.

I did almoist exactly the same thing and now have my LCD back on. (No CRT)
    MSI 651M-L (MS-7005)
    Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (Northwood)
    2GB Ram
    North Bridge: SiS 651
    South Bridge: SiS 962L

Video: SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740
    SiS 315 Integrated    Video Adapter
    SiS 315 Integrated    3D Accelerator
    GPU: SiS 315 Integrated - 315IGP - 1039-6325 / 1462-0058  (Rev 00)

Monitor: LG L1510M
    Oriz. Freq: 31 - 63 kHz
    Vert. Freq: 56 - 75 Hz
    15" LCD (XGA)
    Maximum Pixel Clock: 80 MHz

That's all.

I tried to install vista drivers (from xp it hasn't been easy), I checked the drivers for vista available at MSI and SiS, and succeded to install just one (vga driver for vista).
    No success, anyway.
    And I haven't been able to restore boot via Win 7 DVD (monitor with signal out of range even if I start from DVD...) I had to take the old win xp cd.

Thank for all the answers. I guess I'll wait for a while, I've finished ideas.

l moved these posts to a new thread under suggestion of a moderator.
    My posts are the quoted ones.
    Any suggestion is welcome.
    • Edited by HarveyRC Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:34 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• HarveyRC:

Are you still having this problem? Please reply and we'll see if we can help you.

- Nick
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Was there ever any resolution to this? I have the same MSI 651 ML motherboard with onboard video, and Windows 7 Retail. I have the same issue that the video goes out of sync between the initial BIOS screen and 'Starting Windows'  so if there is any need to go into safemode/recovery console, I'm out of luck.

I blindly made it through setup to get to that stage, and have a working system, but this isn't ideal.

(No CRTs to test with..)

-Chris

• Proposed as answer by Petetech888 Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:17 PM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Check out a boot in Safe Mode and downgrade the resolution of the onboard graphics (press F8 after the poweron or restart - whatever is the state)

Monitor supports lower resolution than onboard graphics...

-VAD

VAD Athens, GR
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Was there ever any resolution to this? I have the same MSI 651 ML motherboard with onboard video, and Windows 7 Retail. I have the same issue that the video goes out of sync between the initial BIOS screen and 'Starting Windows'  so if there is any need to go into safemode/recovery console, I'm out of luck.

I blindly made it through setup to get to that stage, and have a working system, but this isn't ideal.

(No CRTs to test with..)

-Chris

NO DISPLAY AFTER POST SOLVED

Same deal as those above I am a local PC Tech was doing a repair install on a kit-set PC made by some amateur local outfit for an old couple.

I used two monitors, both 15 inch, one a Dell the other a Packard Bell, this is not relevant except that they displayed the same message differently.

So.. hardware is NOT IMPORTANT.

The first was "Out of range", The second "Cannot Display This Video Mode"

After a lot of frustration I did the following which is working at present.

1/    Remove the installation CD for XP Home SP 1.

2/   Restart and enter safe mode by pressing F8 like I was  a test monkey trying to get treats.

3/   I selected "Enable VGA Mode".

4/   No more annoying messages and the installation is continuing, I am also assuming on reboot I will need to select F8 and VGA mode again to complete it.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:26 PM