none
Windows 7 Start Menu and Document search not working

Question

• Heres my problem:

Ok so Im running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I have 3 users on my computer. On my user account the search dosent work at all. I open up the start menu and then I enter any letter or word or phrase and NOTHING shows up. When I open up control panel I go up to search and when I press enter to search It wont search either. It just stays on the control panel page, not even trying to search. The wierdest thing also happened.. Google chrome couldnt find its data directory and all my program Icons from the list were gone except for the ones on the upper part :\ And I cant launch any programs besides Internet explorer and some other programs. But when I go onto the OTHER user accounts its works perfectly and everything works. Ive tried scanning my computer and Ive tried sfc /scan command and everything.. yet windows dosetn locate any problems.. Ive also tried system restore and Search Indexing troubleshooting. But no go.... I recently updated a day ago with the new updates that automatically install when I try to shutdown my computer.

My specifications are

4 GB of Ram

AMD Turion II Ultra M600 2.4GHZ Dual Core proccesor

320 GB HD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:50 AM

Answers

• Uninstall the Catalyst Control Center and install the latest version from ATI Support Webpage. If your computer is laptop, get the latest driver from your laptop manufacture support site.

Working perfectly on the Safe Mode means there might be some applications or services interrupting the Windows functions from working correctly. Open the msconfig by Pressing Window Key + R at the same time and typing "msconfig" and enter.

Try "Diagnostic Startup" and see what happens when you try to do those searching and opening other applications after reboot.

Ryan Kim
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:03 PM

All replies

• Does that specific account still have that problem when you try in Safe Mode?

Ryan Kim
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:27 AM
  • Yes it works perfectly in Safe mode.. Another thing Id like to tell you is that Catalyst Control Center keeps crashing on start up
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Heres my problem:

Ok so Im running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I have 3 users on my computer. On my user account the search dosent work at all. I open up the start menu and then I enter any letter or word or phrase and NOTHING shows up. When I open up control panel I go up to search and when I press enter to search It wont search either. It just stays on the control panel page, not even trying to search. The wierdest thing also happened.. Google chrome couldnt find its data directory and all my program Icons from the list were gone except for the ones on the upper part :\ And I cant launch any programs besides Internet explorer and some other programs. But when I go onto the OTHER user accounts its works perfectly and everything works. Ive tried scanning my computer and Ive tried sfc /scan command and everything.. yet windows dosetn locate any problems.. Ive also tried system restore and Search Indexing troubleshooting. But no go.... I recently updated a day ago with the new updates that automatically install when I try to shutdown my computer.

My specifications are

4 GB of Ram

AMD Turion II Ultra M600 2.4GHZ Dual Core proccesor

320 GB HD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Ati Radeon HD 4200 Forgot to add :\
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Uninstall the Catalyst Control Center and install the latest version from ATI Support Webpage. If your computer is laptop, get the latest driver from your laptop manufacture support site.

Working perfectly on the Safe Mode means there might be some applications or services interrupting the Windows functions from working correctly. Open the msconfig by Pressing Window Key + R at the same time and typing "msconfig" and enter.

Try "Diagnostic Startup" and see what happens when you try to do those searching and opening other applications after reboot.

Ryan Kim
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Try right-clicking your user folder, click Properties and look for Security Tab. In the Group or user names, highlight each one of them and see what permissions it has in the list below.

If Home Users group has Deny checks, click Edit... and uncheck all the Denials. Click Apply and OK.

I think that will do it.

Regards,

mau151

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:50 PM