none
Can't access COM or LPT ports in XP Compatibility Mode Virtual PC

Question

• I'm running Win 7 64bit on my new computer and I've installed XP Compatibility Mode to run older applicaitons. I've also installed a PCI-bus "COM and LPT card" in the new computer and Win 7 sees it just fine in Device Manager.

The proglem is: I have a Brother P-Touch Label Maker that only works on my old computer running XP. Brother has stopped supporting this label maker and will not write Win 7 drivers. Therefore, I'm trying use the label maker in XP Compatibility Mode on my new computer. The label maker connects to a COM port. However, XP Mode does not see the COM ports (on the PCI card) that exist on my Win 7 computer. I've also tried a P/N US232R-10 USB-to-Serial adapter from FTDI-Chip but XP Mode doesn't see this either.

Also, XP Mode Virtual PC cannot access the LPT port on the PCI card of my Win 7 computer. I need to use the LPT port for connecting an EPROM Programmer.

Is there any way for XP Mode to see the COM and LPT ports on the actual physical computer?

Thanks, Kevin.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:59 AM

Answers

• Once you have the virtual machine shut down.  (all the way, not just hibernated)

Go to

Start Orb -> All Programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Windows Virtual PC, right mouse click on Windows XP Mode, pick settings from the context menu, pick Memory on the left and then you can change it on the right.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows XP Mode can emulate the hardware devices, but cannot access the physical hardware devices on the computer directly. Yes, we can use some USB devices in Windows Virtual PC. Because Windows Virtual PC uses the Redirection Policy Manager (RPM) of the Windows to provide the USB redirection in a Virtual Machine. A total of up to 8 USB devices can be assigned to a Virtual Machine (VM) at a time. HID and Hub Class Devices cannot be assigned to the VM.

For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the reply. I did get the USB serial COM port to work. It turns out that you have launch the Virtual PC and then click on the "USB Connect" tab at the top of the Virtual PC window.

Can you answer another question?

The Virtual PC has 512MB of RAM assigned to it. I want to increase this but in the Tools menu it says that I have to shut down the Virtual PC in order to change this setting. OK then, if the Vitrual PC is shut down, where do I go and what do I click on, to change the amount of RAM that the VIrtual PC will use?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Once you have the virtual machine shut down.  (all the way, not just hibernated)

Go to

Start Orb -> All Programs -> Windows Virtual PC -> Windows Virtual PC, right mouse click on Windows XP Mode, pick settings from the context menu, pick Memory on the left and then you can change it on the right.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Thank you sir!

I'll give that a try.

Have a good day, Kevin

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:42 PM
  • You're welcome!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:50 PM
  • I think I have the same problem as Kevin Keinert: I cannot print to my old HP laserprinter with lpt1 port from my virtual XP in my Windows 7 64 bit. But there is no problem from Windows 7.  There is parallel port on the Intel motherboard. I have also a Canon USB printer, and it works well in both Windows 7 and in the Virtual XP.  What have I done wrong in virtual XP as I cannot print to my laserprinter connected to the lpt1 ? 

Thanks,

Peter

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 6:54 PM