none
Task Scheduler Error Message

Question

• I have Windows 7 x64. Whenever I open the Task Scheduler I get an error message that says "The selected task "(0)" no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click refresh."

I had this problem awhile back which I thought I had solved after reading a post on a tech site. What I did was go through all of the Microsoft folders and for each one where that error message came up, if there was no reference to it in the main window, I would delete whatever information that was in the C:\ Windows\System 32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows folder.

That solved the problem completely, but now since the error message only comes up when I open Task Scheduler and not in a specific folder in Task Scheduler, I don't know what to delete in the System32 Tasks folder.

I should also mention that I cannot do anything with the Task Scheduler service because everything is greyed-out though it does show it's running. Also here is the data from Event Viewer: "Task Scheduler service failed to load tasks at service startup. Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402."

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:38 AM

Answers

• Actually I solved it...I had read an article about others having the same problem and what one guy did was go into Task Scheduler and go through all of the Windows folders one by one making note of which folders show the popup error and what data comes up in the middle window.

Then you go to that same folder in System32/Tasks and delete whatever data is not in the main window of Task Scheduler and it solved it. It came back to do it again though once after I did the procedure but this time, I would only get the error message when I opened the Task Scheduler and not from a specific folder so it was hard to tell where it was coming from.

So I went into Task Scheduler this time from "Computer Management" and the error showed up in the Windows Media Sharing Folder. Since there was no information in the middle window for that, I deleted the data in the System32/Tasks/Windows Media folder and now everything works fine.

I'm assuming that the reason I did not get the error in the Windows Media Sharing folder is because Task Scheduler was locked, so by getting into it from "Computer Management" I was able to access it differently.

Don't know why it happened twice but like I said, everything is fine now. From what I've seen on Google many people have  had a problem with this, so I don't know if it's something Microsoft needs to fix or what.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you stop and restart Task Scheduler service to check the result.

If it does not work, you may also test the issue in Clean boot to check if there are any software conflicts.

If it still cannot work, I would like to suggest you download and import Task Scheduler service registry to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Sorry but that was  a little confusing when I got to that link! I didn't know what to download nor did I see anything to download!

Also I was not able to stop the service, either in "Services" or Task Manager and in "Services" everything is greyed-out

Friday, March 26, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

The Task Scheduler service can be damaged due to it is grayed out.

Do you see the blue words of “Task Scheduler service registry”? you my click it, download and import it to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Downloaded and imported it but no change. Should I have rebooted first?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

What’s the result after restarting the computer?

I also would like to confirm the following questions:

1.    Does this computer in a domain?

2.    Does this computer limited by group policy?

If the issue persists and the computer is not in a domain, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the group policy settings.

Delete All Group Policy Registry keys

========================

1. Click “Start”, type “regedit.exe” (without quotation marks) into “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Locate the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

Right click on "Microsoft", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

3. Highlight Microsoft and click "Delete".

4. Please repeat the above steps for the following registry keys.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Note: if some keys do not exist, please ignore them.

3. Exit the Registry Editor.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:14 AM
  • Actually I solved it...I had read an article about others having the same problem and what one guy did was go into Task Scheduler and go through all of the Windows folders one by one making note of which folders show the popup error and what data comes up in the middle window.

Then you go to that same folder in System32/Tasks and delete whatever data is not in the main window of Task Scheduler and it solved it. It came back to do it again though once after I did the procedure but this time, I would only get the error message when I opened the Task Scheduler and not from a specific folder so it was hard to tell where it was coming from.

So I went into Task Scheduler this time from "Computer Management" and the error showed up in the Windows Media Sharing Folder. Since there was no information in the middle window for that, I deleted the data in the System32/Tasks/Windows Media folder and now everything works fine.

I'm assuming that the reason I did not get the error in the Windows Media Sharing folder is because Task Scheduler was locked, so by getting into it from "Computer Management" I was able to access it differently.

Don't know why it happened twice but like I said, everything is fine now. From what I've seen on Google many people have  had a problem with this, so I don't know if it's something Microsoft needs to fix or what.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:28 PM