none
Win7 Ghost and Drivers

Question

• I am trying to build a hybrid image containing most of my core apps and use ghost to push it out.  I am having a problem with how to get the additional drivers for my hardware platforms pulled into the image.   We are mainly an HP shop so most of the drivers I need to have pulled in are soundcard, memory card readers, 3d drive guard, or AMT related.   How can I get these drivers built into the image so that when deployed out they are there for PNP to pick them up.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• When you are using WAIK to create an anser file, there is an option which says "PersistAllDeviceInstall".. Set it to true.. under generalize pass..

Works perfect for me..please refer to the WAIK documentation on how to use WAIK..and where the option is..

MSV

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Considering the question is related to Ghost, please contact Symantec Support see if they have some constructive suggestions since they are more familiar with their products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:33 AM

All replies

• AFAIK, you cannot insert anything into Ghost image. Ghost Exploer allows read only and "extract" acess to Ghost images.

Perhaps you should try to post your question on Symantec forum.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Not exactly what I mean.   in xp I had a folder called drivers that contained all my drivers for all models desktops and laptops.  In the sysprep.inf I pointed to these drivers for a PNP location.  I am just trying to duplicate that.   I know that in the long run I will be doing the WIM format which makes this much easier but getting over the intitial big push for the offices ghost will be much easier on the network.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:14 PM
  • I did come up with a solution that works but not as well as I would like. I use MDT to build the reference image and sysprep and capture it in the WIM format. I then use DISM to add the drivers into the image. Next I restore that back to the reference machine with WDS then I sysprep and capture it with Ghost. This will work since my plan pending approval from the project leaders is to only use ghost for mass deploment such as when we are converting entire offices over in the intitial push out then to use WDS for all the on going normal system replacement or rebuilds. If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it though.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:15 PM
  • When you are using WAIK to create an anser file, there is an option which says "PersistAllDeviceInstall".. Set it to true.. under generalize pass..

Works perfect for me..please refer to the WAIK documentation on how to use WAIK..and where the option is..

MSV

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Considering the question is related to Ghost, please contact Symantec Support see if they have some constructive suggestions since they are more familiar with their products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:33 AM