none
BIOS not fully ACPI compliant - ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Ed

Question

• My system:

1. ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition Socket AM2 Motherboard
    2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.60GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Dual Core (Windsor) / Socket AM2 / Processor with Fan
    3. 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory
    4. Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.9 SATA-300 Hard Drive
    5. XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCIX16
    6. Windows Vista Premium Home Edition
    7. Thermaltake 750w PS

I also have a Sony CD-RW and Pioneer DVD-RW, the DVD used to be slaved to the CD; however, in order to get Vista to boot from the DVD drive, I had to reverse this, so now the CD is slaved to the DVD. I point this out as removing the CD may be the next thing I try.

Last night, I fired up this build, and could not get Vista to boot because of the situation I just described regarding the DVD/CD slave issue, so I put XP in the CD-RW just to make sure that was the issue. XP loaded fine to the Partition screen. I know people have had this ACPI error with XP, but I'm not sure when they get the BSOD - but if it happens when XP is running all it's pre-partition checks, I know that when the CD-RW was the master device, XP had no problems to that point.

When I set it up with the DVD-RW as master, and put in Vista, I get the following message:

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant.
    STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00001000, 0x00000000, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000140)

I have tried a number of solutions I have found on various message boards including:

1. Updating to the most recent bios - v.0202.
    2. Restoring Bios Defaults.
    3. Turning off legacy USB support.
    4. Changing the ACPI settings to S1 only (default is S1&S3)
    5. Confirmed that Parallel Port was enabled (default)
    6. Swapped Boot Order for Floppy vs. DVD-RW

I have not tried hitting F7 because I had read that this was only for XP, not Vista.

The option to disable APM appears to be greyed out.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:52 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem on the new computer I just built :(

1. ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition Socket AM2 Motherboard
    2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    3. 4x1GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM (CL5)
    4. Raptor SATA drive, Maxtor IDE, Panasonic DVD-R/CD-R
    5  EVGAGeForce 8800 GTX
    6. Windows Vista Ultimate

7. Thermaltake 750w PS

Any new ideas?

Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:13 PM
  • i have purchased 4 new vista os's.  one vista oem 64 bit, 3 upgrades: vista basic, vista business and vista home premium.  out of the 4, only one works!  after close to a grand in software what in the hell is ms doing selling this *** if   I WILL NOT WORK!

ANOTHER GOOD ONE.  I HAVE BEEN AN ATI AIW BOY FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.  ATI, NOT TO MENTION AIW IS  N O T  CHEAP.  I WOULD USE "HIGH PRICEED"  EXCEPT THE ET SUPPORT IS LIKE BUYING THE OLD "MADE IN JAPAN"  ***!

YOU SELL A CUSTOMER THE 1900 AIW FOR HALF A GRAND, THEY WANT TO UPDATE TO VISTA.....AND  T H E N  Y O U  H A V E  T O  T E L L   THEM THAT  THEY PAID THROUGH THE *** FOR A "TOP OF THE LINE" GRAPHICS CARD........THAT IS ONLY PARTLY SUPPORTED BY  VISTA!   WHAT THE FU....ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKIN"  Sad!

MAC.....MAC.....MAC.....MAC.......

ATI......MICKEY SO CROFT....GET YOUR *** TOGETHER AND GET IT TOGETHER SOON OR YOU WILL BE LIKE THE BETA MAX.  OH ...AND APPLE WILL BE WHERE YOU ARE NOW!

GLEN R FISHER; KB7BTH@HOTMAIL.COM

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:16 AM
  • I have had the same problem with the motherboard as well, i figured out how to get pass the error. Try using 3 sticks instead of 4. For some reason it works. I just got mine hooked up yesterday, and i already had to send it in to get repaired b/c it shut off on me and will not start.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:30 PM
  • thanks for the reply, but mine is with a gateway m350 laptop.

glen

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Yeah I have noticed the 3 sticks instead of 4 workartound as well with my setup, but it's not really a solution.  I now have memory that is listed as approved in the manual where it actually states that it works with all 4 slots...I guess I might try giving Asus a call since it seems to be on their end.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:25 PM
  • Just called Asus, they said it's either a bad CPU or mobo.  dumb butts.  Going to RMA the board....

-joe

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Joe,

Let me know if this solves your problem. I've been using the 3 sticks of RAM workaround, too (I stripped the system down to bare bones and discovered that no matter which stick I left out, 3 sticks worked fine, 4 sticks prevented operation (so I feel like I eliminated the RAM as the problem).

The best I can tell, when only 3 sticks are in, the POST screen shows "Single Channel 64-bit." When I put in all 4 sticks, the POST screen says "Dual Channel 128-bit." I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or not. I was told to try relaxing the timings in my bios, but I have not tried that yet.

I got some more input from over at Asus Independent.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Zeph,

I've decided not to RMA the board because I don't tihnk the board is broken, persay, rather than incompatible with this memory.  I've now tested the 4 sticks at slower DDR2 bandwith (400-800) and slower timings with no progress.

I'm mainly sticking to http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130 right now where it loks like I will get some professional help haha

-joe

Monday, April 02, 2007 8:14 PM
  • hey im having the same problem can some one please specify the proper way to load vista with the bios blue screen of death im running  the gateway m350 laptop 2.8ghz p4 100gb hard drive and 1gb ram can some one pleaze help when i ran the upgrade visor it said i would be fine never ever mention the bios and you cant return software
    Monday, May 21, 2007 7:52 PM
  • hey buddy. i am replying to your post with my gatgeway m350.  i had the same problem you have now.  the only difference i can tell is that i bought      THE     SOFTWARE at costco.     i took it back.  you can also...i believe...send it back to ms.  look closely at you musausa.....whatever lingo they use.  no matter what the software policy is at the store....the maker  IS OBLIGATED, REQUIRED TO GIVE YOU A REFUND  IF  IT DOES  NOT  WORK! THEMORE OF US THAT RETURN THIS *** TO MS BECAUSE IT   DOESN'T WORK ON COMPUTERS THAT HAVE ONLY USED MS, THE SOONER THEY WILL FORCE THE MAKERS OF OUR LAPTOPS TO UPGRADE THEIR BIOS SO WE CAN USE VISTA.   I HAVE SO MANY CUSTOMERS THAT  REFUSE TO UPGRADE BECAUSE EITHER THEIR PUTER WON'T RUN their   old   software       OR   THEIR EXISTING LAPTOP BIOS ARE NOT ABLE TO BE UPDATED.  THEIR USED TO BE A TIME THAT WHEN A US MANUFACTURER MADE A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT....A STEREO OR VCR FOR EXAMPLE,  THE WERE  R E Q U I R E D   TO BE ABLE TO FIX IT FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME.   WELL, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU NOTICED, BUTT  THE "BIG" BUSINESS PARTY HAS BEEN ABLE TO   K  I  L  L   ANY CONSUMER PROTECTION LAW, AMONG OTHERS, THAT EVER EXISTED!     IN TEXAS, IF YOUR PREME WAS ON LIFE-SUPPORT AND YOU COULDN'T PAY FOR IT, YOUR MEDICAL INSURANCE COMPANY COULD  LEGALLY  PULL THE  "PRO-LIFE" PLUG  IF THE INSURANCE COMPANY WAS LOOSING TOO MUCH MONEY!     PRO LIFE AND PRO DEATH PENALTY AT THE SAME TIME.  DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT ANY POLITICIAN GIVES A RIP ABOUT US AND OUR $1600 LAPTOP?  IF YOU DO, I HAVE A REALLY BIG GREAT BRIDGE IN NEW YORK CITY THAT I'M SELLING FOR ONLY $20,000.  IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, CASH ONLY.....NO CHECKS!

GLEN

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:35 AM
  • i am replying on the same gateway m350.   you can't take it back to the store, email ms and tell them you want to return it.  my email is kb7bth@hotmail.com.

Used to be a time when the consumer as well as the inferm were somewhat protected against the big "screw" job;  that all ended with uncle Ron.   Unfortunatly, it has continued with every "R" ever since. 

What little protection we had, has been replaced with a big "stick up where the sun don't shine"! 

good luck and good night!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:50 AM
  • OK -  Your system will not support 4GB of DDR2 MEMORY, thats why taking one stick out may have cleared up your issue.

I have the M2N32-SLI Deluxe and page "2-13" of the manual states that if you load the 64bit version of XP\2003 then you can get up to 8GB of memory.  But if you install a 32bit OS the max it will accept is 3GB, and on top of that the manual states that some components on the board reserve part of that memory.

My 1st issue is that I was able to download and install all the VISTA drivers for this board off ASUS' site but it appears there is no Cool N Quiet driver for VISTA for any ASUS  board or any board out there.  Does Vista have it built in?  Nothing on AMD or ASUS site regarding this.

My2nd issue, after installing all the drivers available and going to NVidia's site to download and install the 590 Chipset drivers for Vista, I still end up with one "unknown" device in Device Manager.  It shows as a Mass Storage Controller but when I tried to load the driver for Silicon Image SATA\RAID or NVidia SATA\RAID it would not accept it.  Currenlty under Storage devices the following are showing: three of "NVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller" , one "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator, and one Nvidia nForce RAID device which I have disabled - it shows it is not working correctly but I am gambling that is because I have it turned off in the bios.    My question remains:  What is this other device under "other devices"  showing as only  Mass Storage Controller with a location of "PCI bus 6, device 0, function 0"   I have no cards installed except my GeForce 8600GT Video Card.  ???

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Install the AMD chipset driver and that Unknown device should disappear.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 7:34 PM
  • I just picked up a used m2n32, and had problems when it was populated w/ 4GB of memory, but not 2GB of memory.  THANK YOU for your post - it answered my question of why that was happening.  I guess I've put together too many machines that I didn't bother to read the manual carefully.  Next time I'll RTFM!  :-)
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:10 PM