none
How do I turn off taskbar thumbnails

Question

• I tried the Group Policy and registry methods.  Niether method works.  When I hover over a taskbar button (wheather intentionally or not) I pops up preview thumbnails.  This is an annoying feature and should have a simple right click option to turn it off.

Gary
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 4:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, this feature is enabled by default if your computer supports Windows Aero effects and you enable Aero in Windows 7. To turn off Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 7, we can either configure it in Group Policy Editor or Registry Editor, these two methods can be easily found on Internet. You said that you have done these two methods with no avail, I'd softly remind that you need to log off and log back on or restart your computer by performing both of these two methods.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, you also can either disable Windows Aero Theme or delay Mouse Over Respond on Taskbar to disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview. 

For references:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/  

Note: we provide this website for references based on our tests. However, there may be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't control this site and doesn't guarantee the security in this website.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao
    Monday, August 03, 2009 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, this feature is enabled by default if your computer supports Windows Aero effects and you enable Aero in Windows 7. To turn off Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 7, we can either configure it in Group Policy Editor or Registry Editor, these two methods can be easily found on Internet. You said that you have done these two methods with no avail, I'd softly remind that you need to log off and log back on or restart your computer by performing both of these two methods.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, you also can either disable Windows Aero Theme or delay Mouse Over Respond on Taskbar to disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview. 

For references:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/  

Note: we provide this website for references based on our tests. However, there may be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't control this site and doesn't guarantee the security in this website.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao
    Monday, August 03, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Thanks Dale

I did reboot after setting Group Policy "Turn off taskbar thumbnails" to enabled.  I looked at the registry key and it was there and set to "1".

I suppose the extra long delay would suffice as a work around.  Disabling Windows Aero is in my opinion throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I was hoping that just the thumbnail preview (and associated overhead) could be disabled to alleviate system usage and un-needed pop-ups.  I usually know which button I am looking for.

Bottom line, "It seems like an attempt to keep up with the MAC'ies cute stuff."  (doesn't really help the user)
    Monday, August 03, 2009 11:49 PM
  • This article from this website is out of date. There are two methods it preposes. One tutorial is for a group policy setting but this is depreciated and will not work for build 7100. The other method is switching to basic theme and does eliminate taskbar previews.
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Monday, August 10, 2009 3:15 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:14 AM
  • The only known method to somewhat but not completely remove these disgraceful taskbar "popups" and keep aero is with a registry modification.
    Do you want me to tell you which key to modify?
    • Edited by ONE ZERO Monday, August 10, 2009 3:21 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:20 AM
  • I'll tell you anyway.

Go to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create a new dword. Name it  "ExtendedUIHoverTime" no quotes. Set it's value to something like 90000 decimal.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OR
    copy and paste the info below to a new .txt file and chang the extension to .reg then double click it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"ExtendedUIHoverTime"=dword:00002328

• Edited by ONE ZERO Monday, August 10, 2009 3:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by valamas Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:57 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:29 AM
  • This succeeds in removing the thumbnails, but what I'd really like is just a text list of the items in the group. For example, a list of directories for each explorer window.  Any way to achieve this?
    Friday, February 05, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Hi

Neither of Group Policy and registry methods worked for me too. Only increasing the delay solved it. Thx @ DEFCON.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Hi

Neither of Group Policy and registry methods worked for me too. Only increasing the delay solved it. Thx @ DEFCON.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Here's a thumbnail sizer someone wrote for windows 7 which delays the popups.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-taskbar-thumbnail-customizer-released

Update 7-15-2010

Better program than above link, use the one below.

Disables thumbnails. Tested and working so far so good.

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Dale, you know neither of the methods listed in the linked page work in the released to marketplace version of Windows 7, don't you?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:03 PM
  • I'm sorry, but while the regedit method slows down the display, the taskbar is still using machine resources on a feature I don't want.  It does keep them from being in my way - which is my primary complaint - but if I don't want to see them, I also don't want to dedicate resources to them, if you get my meaning.

I make applications for educational institutions, primary schools, and small non-profits, all of who use shared - oftern over-burdened - resources.  Efficient use of scarce resources is always of primary concern to me, and even on my workstations - which are hugely powerful - I am obsessed with how I use clock cycles.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Unfortunately there isn't any group policy, setting or registry configuration, the only supported way to disable taskbar thumbnails in Windows 7 is by turning desktop composition off; in other words, revert to the Windows Classic theme. This is an option to consider if you prefer performance over visual effects.

By design, Windows 7 shows taskbar thumbnails if the following conditions happen:

• Desktop composition is on (i.e. Windows Aero is on).
    • The number of windows opened by the taskbar program is less than or equal to the value specified in the NumThumbnails registry value in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband.

For example, you can set NumThumbnails to 1, and the taskbar will show a thumbnail if you open Internet Explorer; but if you open a second page (or tab), a window list will show instead. The problem is that we cannot set NumThumbnails to 0, because it is ignored (the minimum is 1).

It's a design limitation of Windows, and the best workarounds in my opinion are the ExtendedUIHoverTime registry value and the "7 Taskbar Tweaker" tool.

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert Consumer | http://blogs.msmvps.com/dmartin/ | http://www.wintecnico.com

Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:12 PM