none
Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2007 splwow64.exe performance issue

Question

• Hi,

Experienced extremly poor performance when using office 2007 applications and expecially powerpoint. 100% CPU usage almost all the time when editing small powerpoint presentations. Got to the point that my computer shutdown due to CPU-temp(which the computer vendor will have to answer to). Anyway, I noticed that numerous splwow64.exe processes started to run when I launched powerpoint. Can't find much information on this process but an article pointed to that this process enabled printing in 32-bit applications on a 64-bit operating system. I uninstalled my printers; xps printer and windows fax printer. Problem gone, computer has excellent performance and no splwow64.exe processes running. Whats going on here?

Lenovo T500 (2055-3AG), Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, all drivers installed from windows update. Office 2007 Standard.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The system uses the Splwow64.exe process to translate between 32-bit programs and the driver model of the 64-bit operating system. The file is a critical file when trying to use the printer. Regarding the performance issue, it can occur by following factors:

1. The printer driver is not fully compatible with 64 bit version of Windows 7. Hence, it's highly recommended to upgrade the latest printer driver from the manufacturer website.

2. The printer spooler is corrupted. You can access the spooler folder and clear them for a test. For more information, please refer to the link below:

Clear Printer Spooler

If the issue persists, please let me know the brand or model of the printer.

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, October 02, 2009 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The system uses the Splwow64.exe process to translate between 32-bit programs and the driver model of the 64-bit operating system. The file is a critical file when trying to use the printer. Regarding the performance issue, it can occur by following factors:

1. The printer driver is not fully compatible with 64 bit version of Windows 7. Hence, it's highly recommended to upgrade the latest printer driver from the manufacturer website.

2. The printer spooler is corrupted. You can access the spooler folder and clear them for a test. For more information, please refer to the link below:

Clear Printer Spooler

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, October 02, 2009 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

I have the a similar problem.
    I can print a testpage and can print also from Windows Photo Viewer and scratchpad.
    But not from Excel and Word 2007 Pro Plus.

A detail from Windows Log:
    Date : 7-10-2009 11:27:53

P1: splwow64.exe
    P2: 6.1.7600.16385
    P3: 4a5bd3a
    P4: DIXP.DLL
    P5: 0.3.0.0
    P6: 466a9f71
    P7: 1000041d
    P8: 0000000000004137

OS: Windows 7 64bit-Ultimate Printer: Dell Photo AIO 928.

Before installing Windows 7 did a check on my configuration with the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
    The result was:
    Dell Photo AIO 928
    Action recommended Run Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make this device compatible. 

After install of Windows 7, i did a full update of the printerdrivers with Microsoft update. I tried to print from Word and Excel 2007 no succes.

I uninstalled the printers, XPS FAX and Dell Photo, shutdown the computer. Restarted and updated the printerdrivers by Microsoft update.

Problem still exist.

Exuses for my poor English.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:17 PM
  • This solution didn't seem to help me at all. I have to uninstall my HP 2480 All in one printer if I intend to work in Word or Excel otherwise, it is impossible. I have downloaded the latest drivers for Windows 7 64-bit but this didn't solve it.
    Monday, December 06, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I have been having a similar issue. I have a fairly simple EXCEL work book. However to make a new entry into a cell it often takes 25-30 seconds o process or say it is not responding. Using the resource monitor analyze wait chain indicates that EXCEL EXE is waiting on splwow64.exe.

What I have read mostly indicates that this is a printer related problem. I am not printing, nor have I printed this work book. There seems to be a significant amount of chatter on this topic, and no definitive response from Miscrosoft indicating they are working the probelm, have a solution or are too busy to get to it. It is frustrating and lends credence to the LINUX geeks at work who always laugh when I mention MS problems. Can one o fthe 89,000 employees please at least provide an acknoledgement of the problem

Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

Clear Printer Spooler

Thanks,
    Novak

The link you shared says NOTHING about clearing the Print Spooler (actually starts talking about updating sound card drivers instead of printer drivers). 

Also, it Makes NO mention of SPLWOW64.exe at all, and is just a general resource for people who are having trouble printing, and hopefully  those unlucky souls could benefit with updated audio drivers as well...

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:18 PM