none
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Hardware & Drivers FAQ - 5600

General discussion

• Hardware Compatibility and Drivers 5600

Q: Why doesn't my <insert hardware device> function properly? It worked without issues in XP.
    A: Most of the causes of hardware (sound cards, keyboards, etc.) not properly working is because of drivers. Either the driver is incompatible or missing from the system. In these cases, checking the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers can solve your issue. The Windows Update site also regularly pushes out updated drivers for various devices.

Q: Why do I have to install the drivers for my Legacy AC97 audio device, where it was built-in for Windows XP?
    A: All Legacy Audio devices must be downloaded from Windows Update, or from the vendor's website. We have removed all Legacy Audio built-in driver support from Vista in its entirety.

Q: There used to be Creative drivers available on Windows Update, why can't I see them anymore?
    A: All Creative drivers were brought down because these drivers were the Windows XP WDM drivers. We have seen many issues that these drivers cause on Vista, therefore we have brought them down from Windows Update. We want to insure the highest quality drivers on Windows Update.

Q: Are MIDI/Gameports supported under Vista?
    A: We've removed support for these types of devices, in favor of USB connected devices.

Q: Is my <insert hardware device> compatible with Vista?
    A: One of the caveats of participating in a beta program is that you're never really sure if your device will properly install and function. Some drivers will either be incompatible or missing. As we get closer to the final beta and the eventual RTM, devices should begin to be listed on our Hardware Compatibility website.

Q: Why isn't a driver for my device included in the current build of Windows Vista, although it was present in a previous build?
    A: A vendor may remove their drivers from the build for various reasons, your best bet for help on this is to ask fellow testers and Microsoft staff for assistance in the private Longhorn newsgroups. Also, please be sure to file a bug report on hardware that doesn’t install.

Q: Why does my Creative SB Audigy have poor performance and eventually stops working altogether?
    A: This is most-likely a driver compatibility issue. Along with checking the Windows Update site you can check Updated list of Creative drivers compatible with Vista.

Q: Is SLI supported?
    A: At this time there are no SLI drivers available for Windows Vista, we expect to have these available by RTM.

Q: Why is my Marvell Yukon driver still not working?

A: This is a known issue and is still under investigation as it was thought to be fixed in the previous build. It will continue to be investigated until it is fixed.
    Monday, September 11, 2006 10:06 PM

All replies

• "Q: Is my <insert hardware device> compatible with Vista?
    A: One of the caveats of participating in a beta program is that you're never really sure if your device will properly install and function. Some drivers will either be incompatible or missing. As we get closer to the final beta and the eventual RTM, devices should begin to be listed on our Hardware Compatibility website."

This post seems to be a bit out of date, since Vista is now out of beta.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:17 AM
  • Well Im trying the new drivers for SoundBlaster Live 24 to see if I can get my M-Audio synth to sync with the Midi/Gameport.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:46 AM
  • It`s rather SILLY of microsoft to disable the gameport, it`s putting alot of my friends off buying vista in the first place, they are music producers, have the gameport use for MIDI devices, synths etc..................

Personally i went out to buy a USB Midi cable from a well known auction site and Vista doesnt even support that. :(

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:26 AM
  • will  microsoft ever have sli drivers for vista
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:27 PM
  • SAME OL YADA YADA YADA!   AT THE ROLL-OUT EVENT, YOUR MILLIONAIRE STAFE TOUTED HOW MUCH "PRE-RELEASE" EFFORT WAS SPENT ON VISTA!  WELL.....Y O U  O B V I O U S L Y  DIDN'T SPEND ENOUGH TIME WITH HARDWARE VENDORS.   I WONDER IF  A P P L E  HAS THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THEIR NEW SYSTEMS.........I   W O U L D  B E T  ONE MONTH OF   Y O U R   SALARY THAT THEY DON'T!

WHY SHOULD I RECOMMEND TO MY CUSTOMERS TO SPEND 200+ ON A MB, 200 + ON MEMORY, 200+ ON A AN ATI AIW, YADA YADA YADA! 

I COULD SPEND 45 BUCKS ON MSI OR ONE OF SEVERAL OTHER MBS AND THEIR WOULDN'T BE THIS PROBLEM!

I THINK BILL NEEDS TO TAKE A 10000 MILE TRIP TO NORTH IDAHO AND VISIT ME!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:19 AM
  • I installed   windows vista  and  do not have sound , windows vista will not get to reconize my

sound system  ,with xp was no problem but this new system of vista is not that good

please help me.

manny2bs

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:32 PM
  • i'm sure it's the same reason motherboard makers are building their mbs without more than one pci slot. 

it's all about MONEY! 

you can make a one-piece mb in china for cents and charge everyone that wants to build a real puter hundreds. 

do you think ms or creative or any hardware vender really give a rats *** about us; we are only .00001% of their market!

here we are, for some stupid reason,  trying to build "real computers" for REAL people and all we get is their half-*** os and driver support! 

WHAT DO WE THE OEM'S GET FOR:  wasting billions of  OUR  F R E E...HOURS ...on THEIR betas?

....ONLY A KICK IN THE *** AND.... YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA!

HERE WE ARE ON THE FRONT LINES,  ANSWERING A GAZILLION  QUESTIONS FROM PEOPLE THAT DON'T EVEN BUY FROM US; BECAUSE THEIR  10 CENT "BOX STORE"  puter does not work!

maybe we would be better off back living in caves.

it's like everything else, the whales are eating all the small fish.  amd/ati.....and the like.  the oem or inventor or innovator is a dying breed. 

i wanted to know why ati would not come out with video capture software for THEIR "few hundred dollar" aiw in vista.  sure, the graphics and sound driver are there butts that's it. 

maybe ms only wants us to use media player rather than ati, roxio or real player. 

oh......if we only had a UNION!

maybe its time for another anti-trust class action! 

all in wonder has been my bread and butter since they first began.

ms and ati's aiw software has allways been a pain in the ***...and to ati's credit, it was getting better.....that is until Vista came out!

in closing....I WOULD NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH WAITING FOR ANY OF THE CON GLOM IRATES  to get back to YOUR pidly-*** PROBLEM...for they have

way too much money to make!

hope this helps.....glen....kb7bth@hotmail.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:45 AM
  •  tantank wrote:
    will microsoft ever have sli drivers for vista

No, AMD/ATI and Nvidia will create those drivers though...  Nvidia's SLI support has started for Vista (x86 & x64) but I am sure its not as mature as its XP counterpart, so be prepared for a major performance decrease between XP and vista on the same hardware.  I have a geforce 7950gt and it performs about 10-15% lower FPS in vista as opposed to XP.  This should be expected though you would have seen the same decrease moving from win98 to win2k back in the day.  The only difference is the hardware you ran '98 on was much easier to migrate to 2k than xp to vista (from my experience).
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:19 PM
  •  kb7bth wrote:

SAME OL YADA YADA YADA! AT THE ROLL-OUT EVENT, YOUR MILLIONAIRE STAFE TOUTED HOW MUCH "PRE-RELEASE" EFFORT WAS SPENT ON VISTA! WELL.....Y O U O B V I O U S L Y DIDN'T SPEND ENOUGH TIME WITH HARDWARE VENDORS. I WONDER IF A P P L E HAS THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THEIR NEW SYSTEMS.........I W O U L D B E T ONE MONTH OF Y O U R SALARY THAT THEY DON'T!

WHY SHOULD I RECOMMEND TO MY CUSTOMERS TO SPEND 200+ ON A MB, 200 + ON MEMORY, 200+ ON A AN ATI AIW, YADA YADA YADA!

I COULD SPEND 45 BUCKS ON MSI OR ONE OF SEVERAL OTHER MBS AND THEIR WOULDN'T BE THIS PROBLEM!

I THINK BILL NEEDS TO TAKE A 10000 MILE TRIP TO NORTH IDAHO AND VISIT ME!

Bill needs to take his Vista and go jump in a lake!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:26 PM
  •  kb7bth wrote:

i'm sure it's the same reason motherboard makers are building their mbs without more than one pci slot.

it's all about MONEY!

you can make a one-piece mb in china for cents and charge everyone that wants to build a real puter hundreds.

do you think ms or creative or any hardware vender really give a rats *** about us; we are only .00001% of their market!

here we are, for some stupid reason, trying to build "real computers" for REAL people and all we get is their half-*** os and driver support!

WHAT DO WE THE OEM'S GET FOR: wasting billions of OUR F R E E...HOURS ...on THEIR betas?

....ONLY A KICK IN THE *** AND.... YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA!

HERE WE ARE ON THE FRONT LINES, ANSWERING A GAZILLION QUESTIONS FROM PEOPLE THAT DON'T EVEN BUY FROM US; BECAUSE THEIR 10 CENT "BOX STORE" puter does not work!

maybe we would be better off back living in caves.

it's like everything else, the whales are eating all the small fish. amd/ati.....and the like. the oem or inventor or innovator is a dying breed.

i wanted to know why ati would not come out with video capture software for THEIR "few hundred dollar" aiw in vista. sure, the graphics and sound driver are there butts that's it.

maybe ms only wants us to use media player rather than ati, roxio or real player.

oh......if we only had a UNION!

maybe its time for another anti-trust class action!

all in wonder has been my bread and butter since they first began.

ms and ati's aiw software has allways been a pain in the ***...and to ati's credit, it was getting better.....that is until Vista came out!

in closing....I WOULD NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH WAITING FOR ANY OF THE CON GLOM IRATES to get back to YOUR pidly-*** PROBLEM...for they have

way too much money to make!

hope this helps.....glen....kb7bth@hotmail.com

/signed
    /Amen!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:28 PM
  • yo dude...are you an oem?

it's interesting that ati/amd or is it amd/ati and ms and gigabyte and nvid are teaming up again...like they have done before, to offer specials for certain products. 

i used to curse apple for being so anti-oem, butt after dealing for so many years with the ms sh** that i am seriously thinking about "going apple".  ps...don't try to sell the idea to apple......i've already created a "poor-mans" pattent for that idea. 

g

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:01 AM
  • andre' :  is it your "full time ms job to reply to our questions?

thanks..g

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:03 AM
  •  kb7bth wrote:

yo dude...are you an oem?

it's interesting that ati/amd or is it amd/ati and ms and gigabyte and nvid are teaming up again...like they have done before, to offer specials for certain products.

i used to curse apple for being so anti-oem, butt after dealing for so many years with the ms sh** that i am seriously thinking about "going apple". ps...don't try to sell the idea to apple......i've already created a "poor-mans" pattent for that idea.

g

Yes, I own a retail store and build PC's for End Users.  In addition, I have worked on "Poor Man Mac's" from the mid '90's era (Power Computing, Radius, APS Technologies, DayStar Digital, UMAX  you name it we've had it on a bench at some point) those Mac Clones are nightmares.. Don't worry about me I want nothing to do with Apple or spec'n out Apple clones.  There is nothing wrong with PC hardware technology, the problem lies in the Mainstream choice of operating system, and the control it allows the OS creator to have over the hardware market...Windows Devs should look at what's out there and be coding to work with it, not making hardware vendors design around its limitations and blocking other OS's from being allowed access to drivers and 3rd party apps.. (if you want your drivers digitally signed you can't open source them...)  This is what happens when bad (greedy) people gain control over good technology...
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:23 PM
  • i forgot to add the   "lol" after the ps.

anyway, i understand why very few puter builders will reply to my posts.  i'm sure ms monitors all the traffic and "black balls" anyone "o contrair" to the party line.

g

Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:16 AM
  • That's because all he did was copy and paste something. That's just the old Vista FAQ. I suggest NEVER asking him a question. ha
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 9:06 PM
  •  Andre Rivera - MSFT wrote:

Q: Is SLI supported?
    A: At this time there are no SLI drivers available for Windows Vista, we expect to have these available by RTM.

It's July 2007 now.  When will SLI drivers be available for Windows Vista?  Do you have an estimate? 

I'm wanting to buy a dual-graphics card system that is DirectX 10 compatible.  Since only Vista supports DirectX 10.... that means I need SLI drivers for Vista.  Checking at www.alienware.com they say that SLI drivers are not yet available for Vista.  Where else should I be looking to see when the drivers will be available?

Thanks,

Bolas

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:05 PM
  • It seems that Microsoft have taken out all support for MIDI in Vista, except the very basic interface needed for any soundcard to work. Neither gameport nor USB devices work, and all the support services, applets and interfaces have been disabled or removed. The only sound support in Vista is for playing commercial DVDs. Says a lot, doesn't it!

I shall be advising my customers to buy Apples.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:09 PM
  •  

>> "We've removed support for these types of devices, in favor of USB connected devices"

Wrong. USB devices are not supported either. There is no device support for MIDI in Vista.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:10 PM
  • well kids...same ol bla,bla,bla,bla,bla.  its all about money.  ms sends us to the maker, the maker sends us to ms and the cycle continues.  what they don't tell ya is that they all own each other and in order to make the max profit, they send to their partners for the "other" stuff you need to get your customers toy to work.

ati for their all in wonder products send you to their "partners"  so you can spend another 90 bucks for software that should be included, as it used to be, with the product they sell.

maybe with the dems in control of the house and senate, we should get them to regulate the makers of this krap, so they will be "REQUIRED" to furnish software to MAKE it work!

hummmmmmmmm

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:10 AM
  • kb7bth: Read the posting BEFORE pasting in your usual witter. There is NO support for MIDI in Vista; Microsoft is NOT passing you over to the manufacturers, they can't do anything about it. You are NOT being sent round any cycle, just dropped in the cesspit.

Oh, and we in the UK don't give a bleep about your funny little system of government over there in the ex-colonies, nor your laughable 'constitution'. If you want to play at pretending it matters, take your toys somewhere else.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Will I be able to use my MIdI usb to midi in / out from my keyboard on a new PC with Vista as an operating system?

I use my keyboard as do thousands of other people with an audio mixing programme. It is very creative and fun.

Should I opt for Vista or get the latest IMAC. I find it hard to believe that musical devices will not be able to be connected to Windows.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:30 AM