none
MS Office Document Scanning Crashes

Question

• I'm currently running Vista Business with MS Office 2007 Pro. Our office frequently uses the MS Office Document Scanning (docscan) application to convert paper documents to files that can be emailed/archived/etc. The problem that I'm having, is that everytime I try to scan a document, the docscan app unexpectedly crashes. I have tried setting up a different profile for the scanner, changed security rights, even uninstalled Office and reinstalled it, all to no avail. Is there something inherent within Vista that is preventing this? I was able to use the docscan app in XP Pro with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks - Russ

Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:21 PM

Answers

• I have the same problem with my Brother MFC-7820N.

My fix:

Disable OCR in the Microsoft Office Document Scanning utility.

No more crashes.

With Windows XP 64-Bit....

1. Start

2. Programs (or All Programs if you're using new start menu style)

3. Microsoft Office

4. Microsoft Office Tools

5. Microsoft Office Document Scanning

6. Click once on the COLOR profile (I scan in color,... you can edit any profile or create your own).

7. Click the box that says PRESET OPTIONS

8. Select EDIT SELECTED PRESET

9. Click on the OUTPUT tab

10. In the FILE NAME area (at the bottom of the window) select either DATE AND TIME or AUTO NUMBER

9. Click on the PROCESSING tab

10. Uncheck the USE OCR TO RECOGNIZE THE TEXT OF THE SCANNED IMAGE

11. Click on the GENERAL tab

12. Click OK

Now scan.

Let me know if that works.

Mike

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:23 AM

All replies

• Found the same problem... the only option I know to use the scanner with such configuration is from the Windows Photo Gallery as indicated on the HP website.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:19 PM
  • Hello Oryon007:

Did you find out why MS Office Document Scanning crashed?  We just loaded MS Office 2007 and experienced the same thing you did and even took the same steps to correct but to no avail.  Were you able to solve your problem?  We are going nuts here trying to make our scanner work with MS Office 2007.

Thanks,

chelé

Monday, November 05, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Using Vista Ultimate x64, Office 2007 Ultimate and an HP C8180 I've got the same problem. It crashes after every page in varying ways and in many cases the scanned page is lost.

I'd like to be told I've got something wrong, because if I haven't this software isn't fit to be released for internal testing, never mind to the outside world. It just doesn't work.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:05 AM
  • I have the same problem with my Brother MFC-7820N.

My fix:

Disable OCR in the Microsoft Office Document Scanning utility.

No more crashes.

With Windows XP 64-Bit....

1. Start

2. Programs (or All Programs if you're using new start menu style)

3. Microsoft Office

4. Microsoft Office Tools

5. Microsoft Office Document Scanning

6. Click once on the COLOR profile (I scan in color,... you can edit any profile or create your own).

7. Click the box that says PRESET OPTIONS

8. Select EDIT SELECTED PRESET

9. Click on the OUTPUT tab

10. In the FILE NAME area (at the bottom of the window) select either DATE AND TIME or AUTO NUMBER

9. Click on the PROCESSING tab

10. Uncheck the USE OCR TO RECOGNIZE THE TEXT OF THE SCANNED IMAGE

11. Click on the GENERAL tab

12. Click OK

Now scan.

Let me know if that works.

Mike

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:23 AM
  • I don't know save dokument scanning files.

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:36 AM
  • This seems to be a common problem with the document imaging software and Office 2007

See this article

It appears that it is only for the printers listed, but we have Brother printers and it crashes with those also.

Seems to be acknowledged, but I am not sure that there will ever be a fix.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:57 PM
  • As far as I can see the article to which you refer can be summed up as saying "Don't use our software, use someone else's."

The software that cam with my HP C8180 is a very basic version of Adobe reader. To get any functionality worth speaking of I have to purchase any one of the Adobe offerings which are freely acknowledged to be wildly expensive - and that's in the US - don't even think about the rip-off prices Adobe charge in Europe.

So I for one am wondering what the point of this software now is, and why hasn't it been withdrawn? 

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:19 PM
  • I tried your fix but my MS Document Scanning is still not working.  It tells me that it has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.  It use to work with my HP office jet 6110.  I installed RegCure on my computer a couple of weeks ago.  It messed up a couple of other things on my computer.  It saw the things it messed up as problems with the registery and took them out.  I ended up having to reinstall MS office 2003.  Everything seems okay but the MS Scanning documents.

Any other suggestions?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 5:48 PM
  • even my MS Office has been crashed after installing Office2007....

Please give me suggestion to rescue this problem.Looking forward for your replies..

Thanks in advance..
    [url=http://www.e-datapro.net/][/url]
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Thank you Mike. I tried your suggested solution and it immediately corrected the problem!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Thanks, Mike.  Worked like a charm.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Thanks Mike, your solution worked for me too.  I had posted my scanning problem on another forum and an MVP by the name of Linney saw it and suggested it sounded like the problem you had an answer for and posted a link to your forum. The OCR was causing the crash. I was using Canon MF4370DN multifunction printer with Color network ScanGear.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:14 AM