none
Windows 7 Professional and Drivers for WD My Book Essentials WD1000H 1 U-00

Question

• Recently had Windows 7 installed replacing vista. OS does not recognize this external drive. Contacted WD who advise as follows:".... the drive in question
    was discontinued before the Windows 7 operating system was released and our
    engineering does not perform retro testing of discontinued products on newer
    operating systems. Although WD does not formally support this device in Windows
    7, the drivers are built into the OS and from the WD standpoint it should work.
    I would recommend contacting Microsoft, through www.support.microsoft.com
    and download the latest patches and Hot Fixes for Win 7. Please check link
    below with a list of WD drives compatible with Windows 7.

Windows 7 does not recognize this device based upon the drivers built into 7. DO I just scrap the drive or is there a fix?

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has no "fix" to publish for this and there are no special drivers for it.

You need to look at your system.

Does the drive show up in the Disk Management?

Is a drive letter assigned?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Please kindly know that WD My Book is a device rather than a simply driver, so you’d better download the latest driver for Windows 7.  Does it show up  in the Device Manager?
    Meanwhile, you may update mother board driver and check this issue again.

Another way is to remove the disk to another external USB device if it is not encrypted.

I suggest you contact WD support for assistance.

My Book Essential (USB 3.0) firmware update for Windows users
    http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/firmware.asp?id=wdfMB30_Essential&os=WIN
    Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:19 AM

All replies

• Microsoft has no "fix" to publish for this and there are no special drivers for it.

You need to look at your system.

Does the drive show up in the Disk Management?

Is a drive letter assigned?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Please kindly know that WD My Book is a device rather than a simply driver, so you’d better download the latest driver for Windows 7.  Does it show up  in the Device Manager?
    Meanwhile, you may update mother board driver and check this issue again.

Another way is to remove the disk to another external USB device if it is not encrypted.

I suggest you contact WD support for assistance.

My Book Essential (USB 3.0) firmware update for Windows users
    http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/firmware.asp?id=wdfMB30_Essential&os=WIN
    Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Like someone mention, is the external drive detected under adminstrative tools>computer management> disk management? If is detected under disk management, just format it & next assign a drive

Btw what is the size & capacity of the external drive?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:20 PM
    Answerer
  • My external drive (USB WD My Book 1TB) is detected under administrative tools>computer management> disk management.  Explorer does not show it - so no drive letter assigned.  How can I format this drive and assign a drive letter?  I cannot find any "Action" to allow formatting.  Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:19 AM