none
Win 7 workstation having trouble logging in

Question

• Hi everyone, 

I've been searching for an answer to this in forums for hours, but haven't had any success. I just reloaded a Win7 Pro machine, set it up with an admin account, and had no problems at all.

Then I went to login with the end user's account, and it took 15-20 minutes to login. I let it go the first time (I was doing updates), but then it kept happening. This user is able to login to other win7 machines without any problem, but on this specific machine, that specific user takes 15-20 minutes to log in every time. About the same time to log out. 

I also noticed that the system seems to be logging into a temporary profile (creates a new user folder, with [domain_name.000] after the user name).

Anyway, did not set this domain up so I'm not super familiar with it, but I know we do use roaming profiles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gabe

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Gabe,

There are a couple things you can check but these go back to basics.

Since you checked the user loging into a different machine and it is working fine you have elimanted the user account as the problem.

Next I would move onto the computer.  Run a hard drive diag on it, sometimes slow logins are attributed to failing sectors on the disk.  Windows is pretty good about bypassing those sectors on installation but have disjointed sectors is like having a extreamly fragmented hard drive taking a long time to read and write data.

Next I would check the network connection to that specific workstation.  You mention using roaming profiles, make sure that you are getting the full speed from you network gear to that machine.  Move the machine to a known good working port and try another log on.

Thanks

Sean

MCTS: Windows 7 MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Administration MCSA: Windows 7

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the issue referring to the methods in the following Knowledge Base article:

You experience a long domain logon time in Windows Vista, Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2561285
    Hope this helps.

Also, you can check if the issue persist when you pull out network line before you login in to domian.

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:59 AM