none
how can I disable taskbar transparency in windows 8 RTM?

All replies

•  mukj
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Right click desktop -> Personalize -> Color -> select the color which you like -> adjust color intensity

Is it resolved?

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:38 AM
  • > Is it resolved?

No. Setting the intensity slider all the way to the right still leaves the background wallpaper bleeding through the taskbar - very distracting and ugly.

So, can we disable the transparency?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:30 PM
  • The Adjust color intensity slider only applies to window color and  does not superbar color. Say, selecting white color does not make superbar white.

Notice, Internet Explorer's window is now white but superbar remains colored in asphalt blue.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, Desktop Window Manager (DWM) is always ON and cannot be disabled by end users and apps in Windows 8.

From Windows Developer Preview, desktop composition is enabled for all themes. Users of Windows Classic and high contrast themes can use the experiences enabled by desktop composition such as Windows Flip, automatic scaling for high resolution (DPI) scaling, thumbnail previews, and full screen magnifier.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System - Advanced System Settings - Performance Settings button - Adjust for best performance seems to help.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

It's interesting. As far as I remember, translucency provided in Aero has been managed by Desktop composition feature since Windows Vista.

The Desktop Window Manager article reads:

Desktop composition is performed by the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). Through desktop composition, DWM enables visual effects on the desktop as well as various features such as glass window frames, 3-D window transition animations, Windows Flip and Windows Flip3D, and high resolution support.

This option is however missing from look and feel settings because Desktop composition has been deprecated from DWM.

The Do not allow desktop composition policy is also missing from Administrative templates now... What's considered transparency in Windows 8?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi. I guess you can use windows Lite Theme.

Here's the way to enable it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irYQeJqhRzo

So the transparency shall have gone. But the animations of maximum, minimum, and switching windows will also disappear.

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:00 PM
  • If you want to disable Aero in Win8 RTM you can do it manually or you can just google/bing AeroLite themepack

To do it manually:

1. press your windows key + r to bring up the run dialog
    2. type in resources, hit ok
    3. open the themes directory
    4. open aero.theme with notepad
    5. go to line 5 and change the display name to simply say "Aero Lite"
    6. go to line 51 the VisualStyles section and change where it says aero.msstyles to aerolite.msstyles
    7. save the file to your desktop and make sure you do not save it as a txt file, it must be saved with the extension .msstyles
    8. now copy that file to your themes directory

Now you're done. Right click desktop, click personalize and select the theme "Aero Lite" and voila, no more Aero BS.

I only post if a thread doesn't contain the actual best answer... So please mark this as the answer if I provided you with the information you were looking for. :)

Good luck,
       -Kain

• Proposed as answer by Kain Highwind Monday, October 22, 2012 2:34 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 2:34 AM
  • How was this proposed as the answer by Microsoft employees? This option is NOT available in RTM.

I provided the only answer. Didn't mean to embarrass you guys.

Monday, October 22, 2012 2:35 AM
  • It is true that Aero desktop composition is always enabled in Windows 8.  Any arguments that removing visual styles nets any sort of computer efficiency or battery life gains are laughable.

It all boils down to Microsoft castrating Aero Glass on purpose, turning it into something barely usable, devoid of style, and virtually unconfigurable in any meaningful way so that we will begin to dislike working on the desktop.  The sheer and utter lack of respect for we users that that implies will stop you in your tracks.

AeroLite does indeed eliminate that ugly non-blurred transparency of the Taskbar.  But it is debatable for practical use.

The trouble with your proposed answer, Kain, is that Aero Lite is debatably uglier than (what remains of) Aero.

I'll have to agree, though, that your answer is more to the point than Niki's.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:50 AM
  • I just wanted to follow up here to say that specifically starting with an Aero style then adjusting it in an editor to use AeroLite.msstyle has yielded a much better result for me than my prior efforts which involved starting with one of the High Contrast themes.  So thank you for that, Kain. 

I take back what I said above about it being debatably uglier.  It's actually easier to differentiate multiple overlapping windows with this approach.  This is actually more workable - thanks again.

-Noel

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:44 AM
  • >I take back what I said above about it being debatably uglier.  It's actually easier to differentiate multiple overlapping windows with this approach.  This is actually more workable - thanks again.

I have to agree with you on this one, I tried it a week or so ago and
    actually like the lite theme better.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, October 22, 2012 12:48 PM
  • That worked but err... now all the text is black and I can't see my clock or any of the text in the.. (trying not to giggle) 'superbar'. He heh..

*ahem

Anyway, I am sure there will be updates patches hacks and fixes to make it look the way we all want. The OS is still very new and young and is destined for improvements like all of the other OS platforms.

Cheers,

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Seems to me there's very little merit in the colors of the High Contrast themes!  :-)

Try it this way instead:

• Right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize.
    • Select an Aero theme first.
    • Save a new named theme with a name something like "Aero Lite"
    • Navigate to the following folder and edit the .theme file just created:
      %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes
    • Scroll down to the [VisualStyles] section near the bottom.
    • Change the Path= filename from Aero.msstyles to AeroLite.msstyles
    • In Personalize, go select another theme then this theme again.

That gives you this:

Only downside I've seen so far with this is that when dragging and dropping things in File Explorer the icons that appear with the cursor are no longer partially transparent, so you end up have to guess just a little where you're dropping them.

-Noel

Friday, November 09, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Install the latest version of Classic Shell which has a setting on the Start Button tab to disable taskbar transparency. If you don't want to use a Start Menu replacement, use Winaero's Opaque Taskbar tool to disable taskbar transparency.
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:25 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:25 AM
  • In the long run I agree with xpclient.

I am now and have been using the program "Aero Glass for Win 8.1" which not only restores translucency to window borders, but which also provides Taskbar translucency when used in conjunction with Classic Shell's "Disable Taskbar Transparency" setting.

Beyond that, Aero Glass for Win 8.1 also facilitates the replacement of the Aero theme atlas, which can restore drop shadows and even a bit of style beyond the complete garbage flat look that is touted by Microsoft as "digitally authentic".

-Noel
    Sunday, May 04, 2014 11:01 PM