none
Windows 7 USB stick doesn't show up on "My Computer", impossible to set drive letter

Question

• Hi,

I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 with Windows 7 Professional. Everything works fine, but when I connect my USB stick (flash disc USB) or a flash card it is not displayed in the my computer view. All devices work on other PCs even with Windows 7 running. And further i use two external USB hard discs that work and I tried it with another USB Stick, that worked, too. If i use the disk management view trying to assign a drive letter manually I get some weird error, that the snap in view is not actual. If I refresh I get the same message. I've formated the USB stick using NTFS but this does not work. The device manager states no problem and the USB stick is also listed under "printer and devices". Ideas anybody?

Thanks

m

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:01 PM

All replies

• I have had that behavior when my isb stick has died or been damaged.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:15 PM
  • As I said, the stick works fine at other PCs and even on the same PC using Ubuntu...
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Does the disk show up in lower display in Disk management? If so, try assigning a drive letter to the usb sick.

Jerry

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

as I wrote above, if I try to assign a drive letter in Disk Management, I get an error message, that the snap in view is not actual. If I refresh I get the same message.

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

What is the error message when you try to assign a letter for this USB stick?

Try to delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for USB device:

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the “Search" bar and then press “Enter”.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select “Desktop” in the “Save in” box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in “File Name”. Click “Save”.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named “backup.reg”. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the “backup.reg” file.

4. Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} ), on the right pane, and then check if “Upperfilters” and “Lowerfilters” value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer to check the issue.

What is the result?

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:38 AM
  • Hi Alex,

thanks for your reply. The error message is in german, it says that the action can not be completed becausethe view of the disk management snap-in is not actual. "Refresh the view using the refresh task. If the problem remains, close the disk management snap-in and restart the snap-in or the computer." Well I tried all of it, but nothing worked. Also your trick doesn't work. I've got only an upper filter entry and that one has no value. I deleted it, restarted the computer... Same error. The bad thing is, that the same error occurs with the flash disks I use in my camera. Is it possible that this has something to do with my SSD Harddrive?

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you check if this issue persists in Safe Mode.

From your description, it seems this is related to Windows 7 configuration, you could try to test with another user account to see what the result is.

If this issue persists, try to reinstall USB controller:

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "Device Manager" (without the quote) in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:41 AM
  • As the usb controller recognises the drive this doesn't seem to be the problem. It seems to be something with the flash disk property, because I can mount usb sticks that use Harddrives internatlly.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Oh and I allready tried uninstalling the usb controller driver...
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

What is the result with another account?

Please check the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor

Ensure the start value is 3.

Note: if you need modify registry value, please backup first.

Also, check if you have set any policies to disable removable device:

Open Group Policy, and then navigate to Administrative Templates, System, and Removable Storage Access.

Ensure them are not configured.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Hi Alex,

first thanks a lot for your support. Now, the start value is 3 and as I write above, the system recognises the usb disc. The problem is, that it doesn't allow me to mount the file system on the stick. The computer is administrated by myself and I didn't change any policies. And as I mentioned, I don't have any problems connecting two USB-discs that have a hard drive inside, i.e. no flash disc. These are counted as removable  storage... Therefore I don't think another user account will help (and as I don't have one, I really hope to avoid to create another account due to the disc space... etc.). Is it possible that the type of the file system on the usb stick makes the problem? It is a MBR partition with formatted with NTFS...

Andreas

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

As this issue also occurs to camera flash disk, if it is related to the file system, you could try to format USB to be another file system for test.

Meanwhile, if we cannot assign the drive letter via Windows interface, just try command line for test:

Open a Privileged Command Prompt.

Type:

diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list volume

Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

At the DISKPART prompt, type:

select volume n

Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:

assign letter=L

Where L is the drive letter you want to assign.

If this fails, please paste the error information literally, it would be helpful to analyze this issue.

Alex Zhao

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Hi Alex,

it turns out, that the error only occurs using USB Sticks with flash storage, if i use sticks that are recogniced as usb mass storage device everything works fine.

I tried using diskpart. Using "list volume" I only see my main volumes. Using "list disk" I find the stick and can select it. I also find a partion on this stick, but no volume. THis seems to be the problem. Therefore I can not assign a drive letter. Any suggestions?

Andreas

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Do other USB sticks work, is it just this one particular stick? if so, just get another and move on.
    -- :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

i can reproduce this error with one usb stick (with an internal flash drive) and with any flash disc i tried. I have to look up the vendor. I will post this later.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 01, 2011 12:50 PM
  • hi Alex Zhaozx, and thanks

diskpart worked for me, it is mounted now on the volume list, and  shows healthy for status and shows the correct size but cant be formated.

by the way i think a virus caused this problem when used an infected flash, i guess.

i hope that its not damaged just for a virus.
    • Edited by ashnaboy Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:49 PM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Hello Alex, all:

The symptoms that Mephistoo is seeing are exactly what I am seeing as well - the USB drives show up in Device Manager but no volumes appear to be mounted. I can't assign a drive letter in Disk Management, I get the same error that Mephistoo got. When working in DISKPART, the "ListVolume" command only shows my C drive and optical drive, there is no mention on the connected flash drive.

I checked Upperfilters and Lowerfilters. The start value is 3. Creating a second account with administrator privileges led to the same result.

This happens with multiple USB drives in all USB ports. These USB drives all work fine on other Windows 7 PCs.

Any suggestions on what to try next?  

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Go to start->type cmd->right click on it->click Run as administrator. Click Yes, if UAC prompts. type

sfc /scannow

and press enter. Post the result here.

Balaji Kundalam

Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:10 AM
  • I did just as you said:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Perhaps another piece to the puzzle:

When I plug a USB flash drive in, the Device Manager pops up with both a "USB Mass Storage Device" in the USB section and and "Unknown Device" in the Other Devices section for each drive that's plugged in.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Try running Microsoft Fixit from the link: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems

Also, the following links may be helpful:

http://wer.microsoft.com/Responses/Response.aspx/13804/en/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=686cf0af-fdcc-4062-901f-f5c00806e59e

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/tips-fixing-common-driver-problems#tips-fixing-common-driver-problems=windows-7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900 (the methods works with Windows 7 as well)

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9802032

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-usb-devices

Balaji Kundalam

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:06 AM
  • Balaji-

Thank you for your response.

The first link is to the Microsoft Fix It application. With a USB drive plugged in, the Fix It app was able to figure out that a device didn't have the proper drivers installed, but it was not able to install the proper drivers.

The second link appears to have the same "Fix it" app along with some additional troubleshooting steps. I was able to make the changes to the computer's power settings with no change in functionality.

The third link contains the same "Fix it" app and some general Windows Update suggestions that didn't fix the issue.

The fourth link contains troubleshooting steps that have already been outlined in this thread, then a link to the Fix It app.

The fifth link straight up downloads the Fix It app.

The sixth link pushes the Fix It app again, then suggests steps that have already been outlined in this thread.

I seem to be right where I started.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:12 AM