none
Black Screen after Boot on Windows 8

Question

• Hello, I have a very annoying problem on Windows 8 Enterprsie 90 day trial.

After the boot screen, my laptops screen turns off.

I had this problem on consumer and release preview but it seems like developers don't care.

My computer is an MSI CX640 with and Intel Core i3 2310M with an Inteld HD graphics 3000, and it also has a nvida gt520m.

I read about this porblem on other sites, and forums, that people have this problem on other computers with simular config too...

On the other hand Windows 7 works great on it and it's only a one year old computer, so this is very unfortunate.

It's very bad to find a bug like this in an RTM state operating system. :(

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suggest report this issue to your PC manufacturer too.

You might need to install some drivers or update your BIOS.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:17 PM
  • I have had this problem with my HP Tablet and it's a pain to fix. The key I learned is that the screen isn't directly connected so you have to setup a second screen then mess with the settings and drivers until you can get the laptop/tablet screen to work. I've spent hours and hours.

Also AMD/ATI released a RTM driver today so if that's the card you might try. I think it's still limited support for older equipment. Any DX9 video cards I've tried have been pretty poor and I've had tons of video problems in W8.

Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:14 PM
  • If you can, try it with the NVIDIA card removed. I have several computers with Windows 8 that Black screen with NVIDIA cards and the debug always points to the NVIDIA driver.

Sean

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:08 AM
  • I agree with Sean, disable the NVidia card in BIOS and see if it will gel on the Intel alone.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Did you do such a thing? Can you confirm that removing or disabling the Nvdia card makes your Widows 8 flawless?

Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:59 AM
  • If that happens on a laptop's computer how could you remove the nvidia card when it's built-in with motherboard? 
    Monday, October 29, 2012 11:27 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue.  I'll be working away on my computer for a period of time then all of a sudden the screen goes completely black.  My machine is a laptop: Dell M6500 with an NVidia Quadro FX 2800M.

It appears that the machine just "stops" - it does not Blue Screen -- the screen just goes black and nothing responds.  Even pressing the caps lock key stops toggling the caps lock light on the keyboard.

I performed a system restore and that changed the frequency of it happening from multiple times an hour to once every 2-3 hours, but it is still happening.

I tried un-installing the NVidia 310.70 driver I had installed and going back to Windows drivers, but that did not help.  It still goes "black" every few minutes/hours.

Darren

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Do you guys have your screen black right after the POST and before the Boot Manager shows up, or does it get black after you see the Windows Logo on the screen (that is, after the Boot Manager's menu)?

In the first case I had to update BIOS on my laptop.

With the second case, this looks more a VGA driver problem. Updating video card driver help me before that. Do you see "Windows recovered video driver" (or similar, I can't recall the exact message) balloon popping-up to you?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Update: I happened to have an older hard drive with Windows 7 loaded on it and put that drive in my machine.  I ended up with the exact same black screen problem.  When it happened on a different OS, I realized there must actually be a hardware problem.

I called Dell, and they agreed that it was in fact a hardware problem -- looking at the BIOS there had been some overheating warnings from 6 months prior, but the Dell tech figures that something may have been damaged during one of those times.

They replaced the motherboard and the NVidia video card.  I haven't had a "black screen" hang since under either Windows 7 or Windows 8.  (So in my case, it was defective hardware).

Darren

Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Its know Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 issues & its related to Display Adapter & Monitor Driver issue. You have to boot your PC into the Safe mode to disable Display Adapter & Monitor Drivers. 

Check below guide, 
    http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/step-by-step-how-to-solve-windows-81.html

www.mytricks.in

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:52 AM