none
Connecting to SQL Server 2008 using Application Compatibility Manager

Question

• Hi,

I just installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express so I could use the Application Compatibility Toolkit.  I tried to begin the process by starting the Application Compatibility Manager and using the ACT Configuration Wizard.  I selected "Enterprise edition", then went to the next screen and tried to "Browse" in order to specify the SQL Server.  However, no instances appeared after browsing.  I checked under All Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 >> SQL Server Configuration Manager and I noticed that there were two SQL Services running - SQLEXPRESS and a named instance.  Any ideas of how to get the Application Compatibility Manager to "see" these instances?  Or any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

• Apparently I just needed to change the permissions on the SQL Server folders.  After doing so, the instances that were running were available in the drop-down list.  

Thanks for the reply! 

• Marked as answer by Diretiger Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:46 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:45 PM

All replies

• what are you trying to achieve?

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Hi Vegan Fanatic,

I'm trying to test in-house applications for compatibility with Windows 7.  We are migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7, and some of the applications will not run in Windows 7.  I was hoping to find the problems using the Application Compatibility Toolkit.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Apparently I just needed to change the permissions on the SQL Server folders.  After doing so, the instances that were running were available in the drop-down list.  

Thanks for the reply! 

• Marked as answer by Diretiger Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:46 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:45 PM