none
DNS Lookup problem - Windows 7

    Question

  • I have a very odd problem
    Sometimes when browsing to a site I get the response that the site isn't found and then a retry fixes it. However sometimes it doesn't but then running ipconfig /flushdns fixes it completely.
    It is as though the DNS store in Windows 7 is getting corrupted.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:41 PM

Answers

  • This could be a problem not only with Windows7 DNS but with your ISP dns. You could change to different DNS servers and see if that helps the situation

    Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Right click --> Properties --> IP V4 --> Click properties Then select use the following DNS Server addresses and enter new DNS servers such as OpenDNS

    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    • Proposed as answer by prytzen Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 23, 2009 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:23 PM
  • At this point, you can try to get a latest versionf of Firefox to test, since the IE8 works fine now, the issue should be caused by the incorrect setting or corrupted system files in the Firefox.
    John
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:55 AM

All replies

  • This could be a problem not only with Windows7 DNS but with your ISP dns. You could change to different DNS servers and see if that helps the situation

    Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Right click --> Properties --> IP V4 --> Click properties Then select use the following DNS Server addresses and enter new DNS servers such as OpenDNS

    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    • Proposed as answer by prytzen Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 23, 2009 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I had a similar problem. I could not access .edu websites. Changing the DNS to the addresses above solved the problem. I had Windows 7 Ultimate beta version and everything was fine. When I installed Windows 7 home version when it was released, the problem started.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I also think the issue is caused by your hosts file or the ISP DNS. To fix our issue, you can try to clear the Hosts file using the following steps:

    1. Click the Start Button, type "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Right-click on the file "Hosts" (without quotations) and choose Delete.
    3. Click Continue to confirm the deletion and verify the administrator permission.

     

    After that, please run the command “ipconfig /flushdns” to clean up the DNS cache again. Now, what's up? If we still have trouble in browsing websites, it’s better to set our local DNS to an Open DNS, Such as: 

    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

     

    I hope this can help you!

     

    John 


    John
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:16 AM

  • First point - my DNS servers are set up to use OpenDNS as primary and  my ISP DNS server as secondary so I doubt if that is the problem.
    Regarding the hosts file can you explain why this could cause the problem given that the only active line is 127.0.0.1 rad.msn.com to stop the annoying adverts in Messenger which I would want to retain.
    Is it worth disabling the DNS caching as a check
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:50 PM
  • I did that but no improvement.
    However in desperation I started using IE8 instead of Firefox 3.5 and that fixed it
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:24 PM
  • At this point, you can try to get a latest versionf of Firefox to test, since the IE8 works fine now, the issue should be caused by the incorrect setting or corrupted system files in the Firefox.
    John
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:55 AM