none
Connecting to Media Center via Xbox 360

Question

• I have upgraded Vista with Windows 7 RC.  Everything works as expected except for the Media Center connection to Xbox 360 as an extender.  The connection appears to be established.  However when attempting to connect to Media Center from the Xbox I get the following error after the Media Center splash screen appears.  I have also setup Media Player streaming and it works fine with the Xbox.

"Connection Failure

The Xbox 360 cannot connect to the network.  Make sure the network cable or adapter is plugged into the Xbox 360 and the network connector light is on.  If the Xbox 360 still does not connect, check all network connections between the Xbox 360 and the Windows Media Center PC.  Would you like to reconnect?"

If I select Reconnect the same thing occurs.  The splash screen appears but before the Media Center menu comes up the error message appears.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 12:16 AM

Answers

• It turns out being a member of a domain is part of the problem.  I did a fresh install and didn't join the domain.  Media Center worked as expected.  I didn't have a chance to try this with Win 7 beta so I'm not sure if the problem was there as well.  Vista does not have this issue.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi ctumbles:
        I think Win7 requires the latest update to the Xbox 360 software to make the connection to the Win7 PC.  If you have a console without a hard drive or usb Memory Unit you probably will need to get one or the other in order for the Xbox360 to be able to go online and get the latest update.  Those whose Xbox 360 came with a HD or Memory Unit may already have the update.  The easy way to tell if you have the update is that when you turn on the Xbox 360 with the latest update you will have an "avatar" and your XBox Live ID name comes up saying you are signed on.  I think Win7 requires this so that you can more easily stream protected content from your PC thru the Xbox.  (No DRM issues to the O.S. if it knows your PC and Xbox can identify the PC as being ok to legally stream protected content.) 
       If you don't have this new Xbox 360 software but do have a hard drive or memory unit,  just find the blade on the Xbox360 and look for an update option.  After updating the console you'll have to sign up for a free XBox Live ID for your XBox360.  After doing all this my Win7 Pc automatically popped up a window saying it detected an XBox 360 and would I like to connect to it.  I did and it did!
    Monday, May 04, 2009 12:36 AM
  • When was this update released?  I have the update that came a while ago that added Avatars.  However I am still unable to get connected.  Any other ideas?

Monday, May 04, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Hi ctumbles:

That is the update I was referring to.  The only other thing I can think of ......have you signed up for  XBox Live on the XBox360?  I think that is a requirement before Win7 can connect to the XBox360.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:12 PM
  • I'm signed up for Xbox Live as well.  I did notice some error messages in the event log.  I get an Event ID 9003 "the desktop window manager was unable to start because a composited theme is not in use" each time I try to connect.  That is followed by Event ID 9009 "The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x4001004)".
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:29 PM
  • I attempted to reinstall Windows 7 RC fresh to correct the issue however it is still happening.  Is this an issue with using Media Center on a computer in a domain?
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Were you able to connect to the Xbox360 with Win7 Beta?  Was that install set up on a domain?  I am  wondering if you have the answer as my system is not configured with a domain.  It sort of makes sense that there may be some sort of default protection stopping exterior connections that may be coming from the internet when you are on a domain.  Is it possible for you to set up a user account that doesn't have access to the domain and try to connect with that account to the Xbox360?  I know, it's probably a long shot.  I think I  remember with the original XP Media Center 2005 that those who installed it and selected joining a domain during the O.S. install had problems connecting to an Xbox 360. The default install was an OS install without a domain.  This is probably a good question to send in as a possible bug.  I've never joined a domain so I don't know if there is a way to temporarily disable joining to a domain to see if that resolves the connection to the XBox360.  Sorry I don't have the solution for you.  Good luck! Below is a quote from a Microsoft XP MCE2005 site that may or not be helpful in deciding on how to solve your problem.  I couldn't find any info similar about Vista or Win7 in this regard.

"Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?

While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included."

URL:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 1:21 AM
  • It turns out being a member of a domain is part of the problem.  I did a fresh install and didn't join the domain.  Media Center worked as expected.  I didn't have a chance to try this with Win 7 beta so I'm not sure if the problem was there as well.  Vista does not have this issue.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I’m experiencing the same problem.  I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 RC1 and actually had the setup working with my PC and Xbox 360 connected wirelessly to the network.  I was having some performance issues with streaming TV to the Xbox so I rearranged my setup to allow me to have a wired connection to my PC.  It was when I changed from the wireless to wired that I started seeing this issue.  The computer is not part of a domain and it never has been.  I get the same theme error in my event log as well as the following error whenever the Xbox tries to connect:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

Has anyone had any luck resolving this?

Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Hi AzWildcat:
         Have your tried going into the Xbox360 settings and disconnecting from the PC if it shows "you are connected to a PC"?  Then in the Xbox settings select Media Center to re-connect and then re-run the PC's Media Center "add-an-extender" set-up,  type in the number provided by the Xbox and it should automatically make the correct setting adjustments on the PC and Xbox 360.  If anything was fouled up this should re-set everything to a working condition. 
        On another note.......how come with "Global warming" it's been 10 degrees cooler than usual here in Tucson? LOL
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I have actually tried uninstalling the extender and running through the setup a couple of times wondering if that had something to do with it.  The connection to the PC is actually fine as I’m able to stream entire movies directly from the PC outside of Media Center without a problem.  I even followed another suggestion from a similar issue posted on another forum and deleted the extender certificate directly through windows.  Nothing seems to have made a difference.  I’m able to disconnect the Ethernet connection and go back to wired and everything works fine.  I’ve also tried rerunning all network setup wizards to no avail.  Sadly I think the cool snap has ended and we're now supposed to be getting above normal temps :(

Monday, June 22, 2009 4:02 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem.  I uninstalled the extender to ground my son from tv for a couple of days.  When I went to reinstall, Media centre stops after the first two checks on the extender set-up screen.  The XBox360 lags on 'connecting to windows media center'  On the PC it has the option of next or cancel, next takes you back to the 8 digit set-up code.  When I minimize MC a notification that 'new hardware installed and ready to use' for the media extender comes up.  I've disable the firewall, disconnected the XBox extender from the PC on thexbox media center set-up screen, power cycled the router and done it all again.  The XBox is updated, so I'm at my wits end. . .
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:18 AM
  • I was finally able to track down the issue to the Windows 7 driver for my network card.  I reverted my OS back to Vista and no longer experienced the issue after the fresh build.  Whoever after running through all of the updates I started seeing the disconnect happen again so I reviewed all the updates that had been applied.  Ultimately I was able to track it down to an update of the network card and after rolling back the driver the issue disappeared.  I reviewed the available drivers on the manufacturers site and the latest Vista driver was released along side the Windows 7 driver so I'm guessing they both contained the same issue.  So before I make the jump to Windows 7 again I'm going to wait for an updated version of the driver, or put a new card in my rig.
    • Proposed as answer by newnerd Friday, July 03, 2009 4:48 AM
    Friday, July 03, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Hi AzWildcat:
         Glad to hear you've zeroed in on the problem of connecting to your Xbox 360.  Good job narrowing it down to your updating of the network card!
    Friday, July 03, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Using Windows 7 RTM the problem is still there.  Are they going to attempt to fix this since it worked fine with Windows Vista?
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 10:12 PM
  • It seems I just solved this problem in a different way. Remembering that one of the updates from MS was a NIC driver I figured AzWildCat was right. Taking the network card driver hint I checked my settings first and simply re-enabled jumbo frames and hard set it at the to 1Gb FD. That seems to have solved it for me.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 2:47 AM
  • THANK YOU nil8tor2k! This was driving me nuts.

My xbox 360 worked fine as a WMC extendor for wireless-connected PC's, but consistently failed w/"Connection Failure" screen paired with my wired PC.

After enabling my nics Jumbo frames (set to 4K), the xbox connected for the first time, and seems to be working fine.

Now with divx codec pack, nearly everything plays natively(w/5.1 sound) on the xbox 360 (no low-rez transcoding via orb, tversity)

fyi-All machines running Win 7 Pro x64.

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:55 PM