none
fixed spooler subsystem app stopped working

Question

• Hi All,

I had "spooler subsystem app stopped working..." and found solution that may help you to fix your case.

I don't know some how vista turn off LDP port after installing new printer driver and leaves only Internet client port only. That why the printer spooler service failed to start. Solution is:

1. Go to Programs and Features in Control panel > click Turn Windows features on or off

2. click + sign of Print services

3. Select LPD and LPR. You should remove Internet Printing Client. > restart your PC to ensure there is no error of spooler service.

4. Add your printer driver again.

It worked for me. Let try.

Chan

Friday, April 13, 2007 12:37 AM

All replies

• Thenks Chane

It's working

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Thanks! It definitely worked...It took me by surprise to find that LDP and LRP was disabled...
    Monday, May 07, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Worked for me too after two attempts. All my printers reapeared on their own.

What causes it?

Yogi

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:21 PM
  • didn't work for me...i got message saying " An error has occured. Not all of the futures were successfully changed."

so I tried to go to services..under Printer Spooler...it was stopped, so I restarted it...didn't help!

I have no idea what caused it. My printer was running fine for 4 months and than suddenly all offline! Tongue Tied

I've tried to run antivirus and registry cleaner...no help either, looks like I have to get fresh vista in Sad

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:24 PM
  • My hero!!  I've been all over the 'net, spent a couple weeks trying all sorts of things to fix this problem, and this one finally did it!  Thank you!!!!

John

Friday, May 25, 2007 1:59 PM
  • I got the Not all features were installed also  - can't get the print spooler started brand new emachines with a lexmark printer. The printer has Vista drivers  - I Like Vista would like it even better if I could figure out a way to print. Any Ideas I would be very grateful.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:05 AM
  • Dear Chan,

I require your assistance if you could.

I'm running Vista Business on a Dell XPS laptop.  Everything was operating nicely.  Then the Spooler went down to reasons I can't figure out. 

I tried your approach, but unfortunately didn't work.  Even though in Windows feature the LPD and LPR is turn on, I am unable to add a printer (HP Deskjet 930 - simple to do).

I'll turn it on, reboot and then try to install the printer drivers again to no avail.  Spooler Subsystem would inexplicably shut down again.

I've also tried the other steps on I've Googled like the following:

Click Start, Run and enter sc config spooler depend= RPCSS (there must be a space after "=" but         not before it.)

This didn't work either. 

I also followed the recommendations on this site at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/810894

This didn't work either. 

I'm sure what else is causing the problem.  Also check for viruses and malware and the programs didn't find any.

Your assistance and guidance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Please advise.

Monday, June 04, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Some folks found that they got an error trying to change these settings. I did too and found that you need to do this in two steps.

First Select LPD and LPR and save the changes.

Second, go back in and unselect Internet Printing Client. This one causes a reboot.

I also found that the reboot came back with lower screen resolution - that seems to occur every time my reboot is related to updates. I rebooted again on my own and then everything seemed back to normal.

I successfully added one printer, but on the second one the print spooler still crashed (both are network printers on the same server, same model printer so it should not have needed to install the driver for the second one). Checked these Windows Features settings again and they were fine. Restarted print spooler through Services, and then I successfully added the second one.

Hope this helps others...

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Thanks, Chan. 

Your solution worked for me too.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Thank You Chan , that was the solution i was looking for.

Thanks Again

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Chan, why I don´t find Print services item in my Windows features window?

Thanks for help me.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Thank you very much Chan!!..

Great Help.....

Friday, August 17, 2007 9:54 AM
  • Thanks for the post it does help. I was getting the spooler sub app error and worked around it by telling the printer app to send direct to printer and not to spool. Sending the job direct to the printer did allow me to print from all apps except ie7 browser. Now I can spool and print from all apps but still unable to print from the browser. Microsoft does not allow me to download and reinstall ie7. I thought that might help but am unable to to try this. Any idea what would cause the browser to be unable to print. I have tried printing from the print button, from print preview, even from print this page link on some websites. The only way I can print webpages is to copy and paste into msword and print from there. Thanks for any help and/or ideas.

count0 

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Thank a lot, this really  is the only solution I found all over the Internet, IT REALLY WORKS!!! Thank a lot again!

Paulo from Argentina 

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:58 PM

• Hi Chan,  Great work on this Spooler fix.  I made the reccomended corrections which helped.  Thank you!!!!!

In my case the " spooler subsystem app stopped working" kept popping up.  to correct this i went into the registry and
    finally found the problem, the registry key for the printer pointing to the
    drivers got corrupted:

Start -> Run - Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 ->
    Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> Version -3 -> Remove
    All Printers From Here (Delete HP First See If that resolves the problem)

That should fix all issues to the SubSystem App crashing, after you delete
    the registry entry, start the printer spooler and reinstall the printer
    drivers, most likely Vista will have these drivers built in.

>
    > > Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
    > > 0x4549b734, faulting module localspl.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
    > > 0x4549bcf7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00070a15, process id
    > > 0x5e8, application start time 0x01c753cf82366c15.
    > >

RE: Spooler SubSystem App Stopped Working And Was Closed

>
    > Start -> Run - Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 ->
    > Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> Version -3 -> Remove
    > All Printers From Here (Delete HP First See If that resolves the problem)
    >
    > That should fix all issues to the SubSystem App crashing, after you delete
    > the registry entry, start the printer spooler and reinstall the printer
    > drivers, most likely Vista will have these drivers built in.
    >
    > > > Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
    > > > 0x4549b734, faulting module localspl.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
    > > > 0x4549bcf7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00070a15, process id
    > > > 0x5e8, application start time 0x01c753cf82366c15.

this corrected the problem and i have not had any issues since.   good luck i hope this information helped.  i found it on:

http://www.tabletquestions.com/windows-vista/52936-spooler-subsystem-app-stopped-working-closed.html

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:33 PM
  •  

i am so glad that i had seen this page i was trying to fix this issue for about 3 to 4 hrs. i had called lexmark  and he told me something was wrong the the spooler subsystem and i was just have n issues. i was thanking the lord i was so happy thanks so much for the info i had to reboot my computer again because i left the internet printing box checked i did not remove mine but i am so happy that my printer works now to me that is what matters
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Hi Chan,

Excellent Article. Though not able to identify the root cause, it worked. Hats off...

Sam

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:21 PM
  • It didn't work for me. Neither with regedit...  Is ther another way to fix it?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:17 AM
  • Greetings!

I have followed pretty much all of the tips and tricks listed here and still ended up with spooler quitting on me so I kept poking around and - after deleting the registry entries related to my HP 1018 (but not in the ControlSet1 but rather in the "CurrentControlSet"), reinstalling the proper driver again (I run Vista Ultimate 32-bit) - I went into the printer's properties and checked the port it was listed at ... and to my amusement, I found my USB-connected printer to be listed at LPT1.

I changed the assignment from LPT1 to USB, saved, and voila!  Printing has been restored from ALL applications, incl. label-maker xPressIt and both IE7 and FireFox. 

Tested and re-tested, and tested again, and it still works!  So happy!!!

bendis

Friday, December 07, 2007 6:28 AM
  • Thanks Chan,

This worked for me.

Friday, December 14, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Excellent help for someone  who had less knowledge about the intricacies in Visata. one  suggestion worked and saved my work day

Thanks a lot

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you! Did I say thank you?

My printer mysteriously stopped working after 6 months, just like that. I thought I was sol until I finally came across this awesome post. 1, 2, 3 and the printer started working again, no problem. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way. There was no help whatsoever anywhere else. Much appreciated!
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:14 AM
  • So far, this is the best fix, but I had to delete the registry entry for my HP 1020 printer. It worked on one of my Dell Notebooks, but my second Dell notebook is now throwing the error and will not let me update the LDR and LPR. I am going to try the registry edit on it tonight.

I'm concerned that this error "suddenly" popped up on TWO different machines. I have not performed any software or hardware installations in at least two months. The subsystem error started on Notebook #1 a week ago, and then on Notebook #2 yesterday, exactly one day after I repaired the problem on the first Notebook.

I find it very odd that this should occur on multiple computers at about the same time. 

Did Microsoft push an update to Vista recently that caused a spooler subsystem problem?

I never had problems on XP Pro.  I hate Vista.  It's a memory hog and has driver issues with printers and video cards, especially on notebooks.  Instability is greater on Dell notebooks running AMD processors and ATI video cards.

Unfortunately for Dell, ATI andn AMD, the problems I've had have me looking at other vendors. I will never buy an AMD again, and I will never buy ATI, and Dell's customer service has been lax in finding answers.

Vista seems far more stable on Intel running a Pentium class processor with an nVidia video card. My third notebook has this configuration and does not give me problems.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:18 PM
  • I am having the same issue like yours. But mine customers are using HP laserjet 1022n (network) printer. I'm not really sure what document did they print out. But it starts to crush after they hit print and even restarting wont help.

The only way I go is to restart the printer spooler service (from administrator) and do a fast delete on the documents stuck in the document list. After that the printer spooler works again. But it still repeat the same issue after printing some certain documents which i have no idea what causes it. I will tried this method to see if it might prevent this problem in the future.

checking back on this thread after I come back from service as Im going to tried it on my customers laptop.
    Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:07 AM
  • As a Microsoft Partner I just wasted half my day on this issue....Microsoft needs this in its KB which I searched high and low, trying to apply downloads only to be told they don't apply.  Vista has been a stability issue with my clients and seems to change things is shoudl not....the cryptic error messages suck and are no help to us in the field trying to diagnose a problem and a source a=of frustration for all of us.  The self diagnosis failed here as well..   

Thank you Chan for this post!

Rus

Monday, March 10, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Chan,

I followed your directions and it worked.  Thanks.

JC
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:34 AM
  • In case anyone needs another solution (there can never be enough solutions ) for Vista x64, here's a tip I posted.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3038738&SiteID=17 

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Chan, I have the same problem and have been trying to correct with online tech and I still am not able to print. I get spooler subsystem app closed  . My problem is when I open control panel I can't fine on & off print services to be able to select LPD & LPR, I'm using Windows XP Pro. Can you tell me where I can locate, where do I click to turn windows feature on/off. i will be anxiously waiting for your response I need my printers. Thank You, Lupita 

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Hello Chan,

Where do you see LDP and LRP in the control panel?  I couldn't find it, please help!!

THANKS!!

Cutiepiglet

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Salvation! I was running a Lexmark 6570 with a HPG8000 on Vista. After some 8 hours of various fixes yours worked. Thanks.

Bob

Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Hi Chan & team ...

thanks for the information. It seems you may just sort something out for me in relation to this. Mine is a "spooler subsystem app closed ..." under the Server 2003 environment. I further noticed that every few seconds or so, the Print spooler service stops. None of the many users is able to print off the nework printers and no network printer appears under the printer & Faxes window.

Kindly assist!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:52 PM
  •  

This worked for one printing; then the setting went back to Internet port client only.

Can someone tell me how to print directly to the printer and not spool?  I've restarted my computer at least 8 time to print what I needed, but I need a better solution - otherwise I'm back to XP.

Thanks

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Hi chan,

i couldnt locate where is windows features in my laptop with Windows Vista

Please help me find it

thanks

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Thanks Chan - you saved me - printers and problems....

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:33 AM
  • Thank you,

I have a mobile office and really needed the fix. THIS IS THE ONLY FIX THAT WORKED for my  HP laserjet 1020.

Thanks again

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:15 PM
  • I'm still having the problem, trying all the fixes, but they don't work.  Same problem came up in July and finally I talked to one of the Techs at EITHER Gateway, HP or MS (doubtful it was MS), and someone actually got a fix for me.  The clue to me is that I was trying to print out a PDF doc sent by a client, and that was the first time the error occurred and rendered my printer useless...took out all of the options, including PDF printer.  So, after 2 days back in July with an unknown tech guiding me to a solution, I made the mistake AGAIN, of trying to print out that clients letter.  Sure enough, up popped the problem!  Now it's down, and I'm posing this to see if anyone has another idea before I spend DAYS trying to solve the problem.  The client scanned and then saved the PDF at the office and sent it from there.  They print on a network, so I'm thinking somehow this network default is in the PDF file, somehow.  Is this possible?

I'd appreciate any help!!!!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:04 AM
  •  ooovay wrote:

This worked for one printing; then the setting went back to Internet port client only.

Can someone tell me how to print directly to the printer and not spool?  I've restarted my computer at least 8 time to print what I needed, but I need a better solution - otherwise I'm back to XP.

Thanks

I'm curious about this as well, i don't see an option of print directly to the printer, and i can't really imagine why i wouldn't be doing that anyway.

anyway, i'm trying to work through this but the issue i seem to be running into is that this .pdf file that caused the issue in the first place, is still pending and once the spooler subsystem crashes then i can't access the printer queue list to cancel it.
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:12 PM
  •  

Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing this issue also on a Vista home basic system.   My printer is a HP Deskjet D2560.

The printer works fine if I print locally, however if after sharing it and try to print from a another PC in the network, I kept getting   "Print spooler app has stopped working" error.

HP was pretty much useless and blamed the problem on MSoft.  However, I was able to fix the problem on my own .   I did not delete any registry or anything.  I simply went to the printer properties and clicked on the advanced tab and  unchecked the option for  "enabled advanced printing features"

Personally I am thinking it has to do with the drivers but I could be wrong

Sunday, October 05, 2008 10:26 PM
  • You are greate it's working fine Smile

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Hello,

i've got this problem also for a few weeks and I've tried your way but it doesn't work (also on Vista:-(

a) removing the internet printing client is no problem

b) getting the LPR on and ok , is working too

c) getting the LPD is is a problem

> as soon as I press ok, it takes a few minutes and then it says : theres a fault, not all parts are changed.

So I only get the internet client of and the LPR on but the LPD stays a problem.

I hope someone has an idea

Saturday, November 01, 2008 7:11 AM
  • I just had the same problem mentioned earlier.  I received a .pdf file from someone, and after I printed it, my printer spooler went down, and I can't see any printers anymore, or print out on any printer.  I tried the main fix recommended by Chan, to no avail.  Has anyone ever found a solution to this?  I talked to Adobe for about 1 1/2 hours, but no solution yet.  They suggested repairing Adobe Acrobat and uninstalling Adobe Reader, but that didn't help. 
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Thank you VERY much for this.  Bought a wireless Lexmark X6690 printer which connected perfectly to my daughters Dell laptop proved impossible to install on my PC (kept getting the spooler error).  Numerous exchanges to Lexmark Tech Desk failed to help.  After reading this and 2 mins later working - albeit connected by USB.  Chan u are a star!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:17 PM
  • I've had the same Spooler Subsystem App shut down errors  and it's taken me a whole day of farting around with blogs and contemplating costly calls to Dell and MS but decided to just do the Windows Update service packs for Vista including reinstall of HP drivers and so far it has done the trick.
    I hate Vista - so many  bugs like compile errors I used to get in Computing 101 - MS should sack the test team, oh sorry they already did that's why we have this product! 
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:57 PM
  • thanks man

big up 4chan =)
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Chan, used your steps and printer drivers reappeared. thanks
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:07 PM
  • what worked for me was this:

stop the print spooler service

Delete all files and subdirectories contained in "C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers"

start the print spooler service.

(i already had the ldp and lpr installed and didnt bother with the regedit sine this worked.)

-odyth

• Proposed as answer by odyth Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:49 AM
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Thank you for writing your solution in terms that I can actually understand and work with. You helped repair my problem!

All the best,
    d-
    Friday, April 17, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Did you ever get the problem solved? This is exactly what happened to me today.
    • Proposed as answer by Shmooze Guy Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:51 AM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:38 PM
  • I've encountered this spooler problem only twice, & both times, the common denominator was trying to print a "scanned" pdf document.
    I can't remember how I fixed it last time as hours of trying methods noted on this & other forums. But today, in this forum, I noticed a note from "bendis",
    dated Dec 7, 2007. Check printer's properties, check port assignment, change to USB from LPT1. VOILA ! All is well. My printer is HP Laserjet 1020.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:02 AM
  • im running on windows xp and i cant find this

1. Go to Programs and Features in Control panel > click Turn Windows features on or off

3. Select LPD and LPR. You should remove Internet Printing Client. > restart your PC to ensure there is no error of spooler service.

i have the same problem

tnx

i hope u can help me

Monday, June 15, 2009 4:42 AM
  • This is only a fix for Vista and not XP.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Not working for me. LPD & LPR and on and Internet Printing Client is off, but still can't get the Spooler to stay up long enough to print anything. Microsoft's new fix-it tool restarts the spooler and will print a test page but as soon as I try to print anything else the spooler crashes again.
    Can anyone help with this problem with a solution that lasts more than a couple of weeks? I'm on my 3rd Vista computer since January and all have had the same problem.
    Thanks,
    K
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:30 AM
  • Hello All,
    I rarely post this kind of info online - However...

After having 4 hours of total frustraion trying to fix this spooler issue with my HP1020 w/ VISTA OS... I finally - I found the fix:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

Scroll down to the Microsoft Fix it button - follow the directions - download the fix - DONE - no rebooting required. 

Simple, Fast, and Easy.  Hope it solves you spooler issue!

Good luck and God Bless!

Kenta
    • Proposed as answer by mevans88 Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:43 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Thanks Chan,

I have always think for computers as alive thing - sometimes they do what they prefer :)

Your advice was helpful partially.

LPD and LPR were switch off.

The problem was resolved after deleting the brabch for HP LJ1020 in Controlset1 etc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\HP LaserJet 1020

The steps were:

1. Your approach - activate LPD and LPR which were switched off

The problem was persisting. the spooler service start automatically and switch off if you try to do smth

2. I have deleted the key shown above for 1020 prn

3. I have restarted

The funny thing was that Vista did not catch the printer 1020 which I have forgotten to switch off.
    nevertheless printers view of control panel was functioning properly

4. I decided to switch off 1020 and switch it again - I was just curious.

Vista catch device and install the driver (it is the same as before; I have downloaded it from HP as recommended for Vista)

Now the system is OK. We' see after extensive print job what will happen.

Thanks and Bye

Valeriy

Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I just had the same error. Came out of the blue...

Here is the fix that helped me:

Start the print service manually.

Then very fast open the queue of your first printer.  If there are documents in it cancel the print job. You have to be fast, as the dreadfull error comes up only seconds after starting the print service.

Once the hanging print job is canceled everything turns back to normal.

Friday, July 31, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Ugh! I have an HP PSC 1350. My printer is connected to my desktop which is running Vista. I followed your advice, Bernie, to print from the network with my laptop which is running Windows Server 2008. It seems that with the HP drivers included with Vista/Server 2008, there's no way to disable the "advanced printing features" permanently. I haven't had the error again, but it looks like I'll always have to manually disable the advanced printing features.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Hello All,

After having 4 hours of total frustraion trying to fix this spooler issue with my HP1020 w/ VISTA OS... I finally - I found the fix:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

Scroll down to the Microsoft Fix it button - follow the directions - download the fix - DONE - no rebooting required. 

Good luck and God Bless!

Kenta
    This is what finally worked for me.  I have encountered the problem twice, both times when trying to open an emailed PDF.  I've tried EVERY other solution and spent hours on this.  The key here is to ignore the message on the linked site that says it is for a previous version of windows.  The Vista version of Microsoft Fix It did not fix the problem at all, just told me that my printer was not the default printer and checked if it had paper.  Useless.  This link above fixed the problem.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:45 AM
  • hello Kenta: Thank you so much for this fix that I could finally understand.  I have had no printing for a couple of months and have spend hours upon hours trying to fix it.  I went to this website hit the fixt it button and voila it fixed it.

Thanks again.

sunny
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Chan
    i dit all that but still don t worck
    any other solution?
    please let me nkow

Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:06 PM
  • WOW! 2 plus years from your orignial post and you're still helping people.  I upgraded windows vista to windows 7 and lost the ability to print.  Both LPD and LPR were off and enabling them allowed my printer to print again.  THANKS Chan!

Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Hi Chan;

Thank you sooooo... much!  It worked for me and I have literally been seaching forums, been online for about 5 hourse with HP and Lexmark techs, paid for registry cleaners and even paid Microfsoft Support.  I have spent, without exagerating, about 30 hours sitting at my PC trying to solve this problem.  I am almost afraid to say it's fixed because this system seems to always have some new kink.... but for now it seems to be!!!!  I am so appreciative for this advice.
    Thanks Again! You saved me from having a total meltdown!
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Chan - after days of frustration and sitting in front of my laptop trying to resolve the spooler subsystemap....problem, I tried your fix last night before calling it quits and to my surprise and great relief, IT WORKED!!!  I can't say thank you enough.  Mt Dell 720 printer is old but still serviceable and this problem started when I reconnected my Dell Vostro 1510 to printer.  At that time, I could only print one print job then I had to turn the printer off, clear the print queue, and go to the next print job.  But the printer never cleared out the previous print job and I would end up printing a bunch of stuff that already printed before getting the next requested print job.  Thank you again!
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Hi Chan,

I tried it, I'm on a WinVista 32 OS. I've got a Lexmark X5650 printer. I'm still getting the same thing: Spooler Subsystem App Stopped Working. This is just terrible. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've followed all of the things I'm supposed to do and still nothing. It's really ridiculous and I've got my next semester coming up where I'll need to print from my computer. Any other ideas? Thank you for your help. Deb
    Friday, January 01, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Hi All,

I had "spooler subsystem app stopped working..." and found solution that may help you to fix your case.

I don't know some how vista turn off LDP port after installing new printer driver and leaves only Internet client port only. That why the printer spooler service failed to start. Solution is:

Chan

This didnt work for me, everytime I tried to print (even after restarting the spooler service) it would stop and give the error message. Thankfully I found another website that worked for me, and it isnt listed in any of these other comments, so if you are still stuck, try this website (no ads or bullcrap here, just good advice!) : http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-to-fix-spoolsvexe-application-error/
    • Proposed as answer by Richard.B. _ Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:28 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:21 AM

• At last, after 5 hrs of search, now it worked for me after trying this.

Thanks chan,
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

I am getting  "spooler subsystem app has stopped working" on windows server 2008 Any help will be appreciated

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:18 AM
  • I've seen this a number of times, and particularly with POST-XP era systems, it seems to be more prevalent when rendering jobs from the network.

The first option is to bypass the spooler by selecting "Print Directly to the printer" in the printer properties (I believe this has been mentioned) but this does slow down printing, and is not appropriate in complex environments.  However, while you are in those printer properties, under 'advanced' there are options for "Print Processor" - I've found that 'WinPrint' for the processor and 'RAW' for the data type are what the doctor ordered.

Give it a go! - Good luck!

Friday, March 26, 2010 10:40 PM
  • HI

After every restart on my windows 2008 server still i am getting the same error spooler subsystem app has stopped working

it ask for search for recommened solution but when i click on that it doesent navigate me to the solution

facing this issue for last few days

Any quick help will be appreciated

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:54 AM
  • this was the only one that worked for me now my printer works thank you

Monday, May 03, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Me too - great advice.

Thank you so much

Monday, May 03, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Chan,

I am running W7 64 bit and your solution worked for me first time.  Epson and Lexmark were no help at all.  I understand HP has patches for its printers.

John

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Hi Perumexican,

HP PSC 1350 Driver Printer All-in-one Vista Downloaded

Monday, May 31, 2010 8:16 PM

• Hello All,

Good luck and God Bless!

Kenta
    This is what finally worked for me.  I have encountered the problem twice, both times when trying to open an emailed PDF.  I've tried EVERY other solution and spent hours on this.  The key here is to ignore the message on the linked site that says it is for a previous version of windows.  The Vista version of Microsoft Fix It did not fix the problem at all, just told me that my printer was not the default printer and checked if it had paper.  Useless.  This link above fixed the problem.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!

IT WORKS!!! I was also stuck not being able to print until just now. I tried deleting files/drivers/registry entries almost everything that was listed but Kenta's  suggestion above proved to be a winner. As Mevans88 says IGNORE the message regarding the windows version and use the Microsoft fix it button at the bottom of the page and follow the instructions. This worked for my Vista 32 bit.

Thanks guys!

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Okay, I worked on this for 2 days and finally did the following and it worked for me:

1. Right clicked on my printer icon
    2. Clicked on Open all Active Printers
    3. Clicked on Printer and then Properties
    4. Clicked on Advanced
    5. You will see in the second box the options "spool print documents" or "print directly to printer"
    6. Clicked on print directly to printer
    7. Clicked on Apply and OK

Had my printer printing again in about 10 seconds.  Now if someone could suggest the proper glue to put my hair back on my head, I would appreciate it.

Hope this helps you all.

• Proposed as answer by exjrsygrl Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:43 PM
  • i've spent two days trying to solve this print spooler problem. A few minutes ago, I found your note of 2007.  It worked.  Thank you for your advice.

Monday, August 02, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Usually the driver crashes and preempts the print spooler. the famous HP LJ 1020 made an expert on printing, because the driver is faulty. read on... IF you have the HP LaserJet 1020 then the fix is found all the way down on this reply.

you have two options:

OPTION1

www.TheComputerManual.com and buy the ebook there it will help you solve your problem and others. go to the end of this to find another link for the print spooler fix .

Chapter 1    7
    First things first, Don't forget to LOL    7
    Before OOB (Out of the Box)    8
    Out of the Box Experience    9
    Single Click or double Click?    10
    The Start button, Start Menu and Taskbar    11
    MY Computer or Computer    14
    The RUN Dialog Window    18
    Copy and Paste (Ctrl C, Ctrl V)    20
    The Undo and Redo Commands    23
    Selecting and copying multiple items    24
    Drag and Drop    25
    Create a new folder    27
    Browsing for files and folders, file proprieties    28
    Address Paths    34
    Screen captures – Screen shots    35
    Working with archive files    36
    Antivirus Antispyware vs. Ad-Aware or Bugs    39
    User Profile cleaning and maintenance    42
    Disk Cleanup – To clean your user profile    45
    Users and Profile Backup    48
    Wild Cards    50
    Chapter 2 Recovering your computer    51
    Burn your recovery DVDs    52
    Creating a System Image    56
    Recovering your computer from the System Image    63
    Recovering your computer from the recovery partition    72
    Recovering your computer from the Recovery DVDs    74
    Lenovo recovery from DVDs - Example    86
    Installing the Windows® OS    93
    Windows® partitions and Disk Management    95
    Installing Windows® OS from the CD/DVD    97
    Windows® XP Professional    98
    Installing Windows® 7    114
    Installing new drivers    124
    Problems with Automatic Driver Installation    130
    Chapter 3    132
    Expanding your Computer’s abilities    132
    Downloading and Installing Applications    133
    Installing RealPlayer®    141
    Installing ITunes®    144
    Burning CDs DVDs    146
    Necessary Software    150
    Downloading and installing OpenOffice®    152
    The Insert key Problem    156
    Chapter 4    157
    Windows® OS and Control Panel    157
    Inside the Box or inside the Tower    158
    S-ATA Hard-drive Connection    159
    Familiarize yourself with the Operating System    161
    Control Panel    162
    Programs and features    163
    Backing UP your data    165
    Default Programs and File Extensions    168
    Folder Options    171
    Network and Sharing Center    175
    Internet Options    177
    Windows® Update and Windows® Firewall    178
    Devices and Printers    179
    Add a network printer    180
    Installing a shared printer    188
    Sharing a printer    189
    Troubleshooting the printer    191
    Device Manager    197
    The Notification Area    198
    Microsoft SyncToy    201
    WinMerge    206
    Chapter 5    209
    Troubleshooting    209
    Troubleshooting your Windows Start-Up    210
    Hard Disk tools    212
    System Restore    216
    Troubleshooting your PC – Msconfig    218
    Troubleshooting your computer - The SysInternals® Tools    222
    ERD Commander    230
    Troubleshooting your printer and print spooler    231
    Chapter 6 Networking    234
    Network IP addresses    235
    Setting up your network    236
    Network Overviews    237
    Tweaking your Verizon DSL network    239
    Troubleshooting your wired network connectivity    243
    Connecting to your wireless network    248
    Troubleshooting your wireless network    252
    Transferring or migrating data to the new computer    256
    Remote Desktop    272
    Remote Desktop Options    278
    Windows® Firewall in Windows® 7    282
    Chapter 7    286
    More Fun Stuff    286
    Manage an IPOD® with ITunes®    287
    Downloading YouTube® files for iPods.    297
    HandBrake    299
    Manipulating CDs DVDs and ISOs    300
    Video LAN Player VLC player    305
    Virtual Machines    306

or

OPTION 2

www.gameaddict.eu where you'll find a tutorial for the print spooler and search for "print spooler" to find the thread, or HP 1020.

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I tried this but print spooler still stop. I am not able to remove any printer, everytime I select a print to remove a message pops up print spooler not running. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

armando

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:49 PM
  • This worked for me too!!

Thank you so much.

Friday, November 26, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Hi Chan,

I did the above and it didn't help. I restarted my machine and then tried to delete the printer to reinstall it and got the same error message. I have also tried the microsoft fix it and that did not help

con

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I still have windows xp sp3. I too received the "Spooler subsystem app stopped working" on my lexmark x5650.  (Tip, you can restart the spooler service by typing 'net start spooler' at the run menu, or by going into comp. mgmt). 

I tried all the suggestions I could find, and uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, but finally was able to fix it by renaming the file LXDUDATR.dll in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3 to Lxdudatr.old.  A useful troubleshooting tool in windows is the event viewer, under administrative tools. It invariably faulted 'Lxdudatr' under 'application errors'. Maybe getting rid of this file, whose only apparent purpose is to cause frustration,  will also work in other windows versions, I don't know.

I'm still trying to figure out what changed; the printer originally worked. I have a suspicion it was windows update's patches, but unfortunately wasn't able to use system restore to prove this. 

In any case, I have a suspicion the ultimate solution is not to use a cheap printer with a poorly written printer driver. I couldn't believe that when I tried to install the printer in the first place, windows XP warned me that the software had not passed windows logo testing! And that was windows XP, you'd think they would have fixed/kept the driver updated by now the driver by now! It's a nuisance returning stuff though, and the printer IS cheap, and hopefully I can get reasonably priced ink at overstock.com.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:47 PM
  • I found that this was caused by a document in the printer queue that had no name.

The key to solving the

spooler subsystem app stopped working

problem for me was to manually delete all documents in the queue.

This worked for me:

http://www.hightechdad.com/2007/06/11/fix-it-how-to-remove-a-document-stuck-in-your-printer-queue/

Sunday, February 06, 2011 1:20 AM
  • thanks chan your answer was very helpful even though it was 3 years ago it solved my problem...
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Well, Chan's solution didn't work for me, but this one did:

---> http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/4078/windows-7-how-to-clear-the-print-queue/

I followed the instructions to clear the print queue and restart the spooler, and like magic, my printer reappeared in Devices and Printers with an empty queue, and I could print again! Oh happy day.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and an HP 1020 printer.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:03 AM
  • thanks for the tips for typing commands in the run menu. however, after printing, the same error msg showed again. i have not tried what u have described as i need to back up all my files first. i am not sure if the brand of printer makes difference. i have HP laserjet 1018 which has no problem since i connected it for almost 3 yrs until today. last time, i reformatted my notebook was dec 2010. i am also using XP sp3. let me know if the renaming causes any crash. thanks

this is the followup from the above. i hope it maybe helpful for someone.

I used HP lasetjet 1018 which connected to Dell Vostro 1520 running XP SP3.

1) click "Start" to "printer and faxes"

2) Open printer

3) click Start then Run. type "net start spooler" in the run menu.

4) Be ready to right-click the HP printer as soon as the window of run disappears, and select cancel all documents.

After this, my problem seems resolved. Will updated if it recurs.

• Proposed as answer by phoenix2011 Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by phoenix2011 Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by phoenix2011 Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:15 AM
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:56 AM
  • I was able remove internet client. But I cannot remove my HP LaserJet 1018 printer drivers. My problem is not solved. I made mistake of installing printer driver on dtop of existing drivers. Thanks.

dhiraj gada

Monday, April 25, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Hello Chan.  I did what you said, but the LPD/LPR was checked and the internet Printing client was not?? When I said I tried everything I meant all that was in the forum for Printer Spooler.  I had a computer repair person online to try and repair it and he said he tried all the fixes he had and thought that my program was corrupted beyond repair and that I should have the factory settings re-installed.  I am right now backing up my pc and once that is complete I plan to format the hard drive and re-insstall the windows Vista and see if that takes care of the issue.  If you have anything different please let me know via my email.  Thanks

Kako1951

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Hi All,

Chan

INS

THIS IS A GREAT FIX. ALSO, I HAD TROUBLE INSTALLING THE PRINTER B/C WINDOWS WANTED TO USE A PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED DRIVER, AND THE DISC THAT CAME WITH THE PRINTER KEPT RECOGNIZING THE DRIVER WAS ALREADY INSTALLED. I HAD TO UNINSTALL EVERYTHING I COULD FIND, AND WAS ABLE TO USE THE FOLLOWING LINK FROM THE DELL WEBSITES DRIVERS. I HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE.

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R159345&formatcnt=0&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=213005

DM
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:56 AM
  • As others have stated, Chan,  YOU are the man!!! I did all the things you stated and also removed any files in the /windows/system32/spool/printer directory. There were only two files. FP00000.SHD that is a 3kb file and FP00000.spl? that is a 280kb 'shockwave object file'. I moved the two files into another directory and restarted the laptop and I am back in operation.

I scanned the two files with malwarebytes and ms security essentials and found them to be ok (no viri or malware).

I downloaded the entire reply log on this subject and put it into a word document. So far, I have gotten to page 4 of 32, so I don't know what lays ahead. Just got down to the part about deleting the files in the spool/printer directory and gave it a try. Viola!

Thanks again Chan!

Chuck

KC2QPD

Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Along with Chan, odyth is also part responsible for getting my spooler working the way it should. I performed all the steps in Chan's initial posting and then deleted the files in the spool/printer directory that you stated. All is working good.

Thanks

Chuck

KC2QPD

Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Chan, I have tried so many of the suggestions for this problem. Once I tried this simple (but unknown tome) fix it cleared up the problem.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Thanks, it worked!!! I'm so happy! Thanks for posting this Chan! I was going crazy trying to figure it out. MS should post this as a possible solution or place to check anyway.

Thank you!

Nic

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:47 AM
  • When you guys did this (i.e. turned on the LDP and LRP features), how long did it take for them to turn on. I'm only asking because I get a message saying that it "might take several minutes" and it has been way more than several minutes.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Thanks Chan.After about 5hours of research and trying many other ways put forward on the internet, i finally managed to get the computers printing!!!!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:50 PM

• Hi All,

Chan

I have the same problem on a Windows 2003 server. Where would I find the 'Turn Windows features on or off' to try this fix?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 11:30 AM
  • You are "the man"... Thank you

(^_^)  Jay

Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:57 PM
  • thank you, Chan. It worked for me. thank you so much.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:13 AM
  • thanks!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Thank you ever so much my friend your suggestion worked a treat and now I can use my Printer again.

Have an excellent and rewarding day.

Friday, September 02, 2011 5:32 PM
  • I know this thread is old and this topic is solved many times but still if you are having problem with your spoiler system check this tips spooler subsystem app stopped working
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Mine recently quit working and I had to do a system restore to correct the problem.  It just happened again today, again the system restore.  Problem - printing from Adobe/.pdf file; Solution - unistall/reinstall Adobe.  hope this helps somebody
    Monday, October 10, 2011 9:26 PM
  • FWIW, a corrupt print job was causing this problem for me. After deleting the files in the spool directory (C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS), my problem finally went away. Interestingly enough, the date and time of the first file in the spool directory matched the date and time of the first occurence of the spoolsv.exe errors in my application logs (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application). Curse you Vista.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Chan - you're a legend, your solution worked like a dream.  thanks!
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Nice work; you have earned everyone's praise and admiration for sharing how to control printer operations from Windows Features.

Thanks so much

Chris 

• Edited by trancegood Monday, January 02, 2012 8:11 PM
    Monday, January 02, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Chan, this worked for me!!!  A million thanks.  You rock.  Chuck
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:23 PM
  • This one worked for me to help a friend today - FINALLY!!!

One small correction (one small step missing):

Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> DRIVERS ->Version -3 ->

Then Removed the problem printer.  Printer then worked fine.

After reboot, the printer was was gone  completely - actually, that was good because I could not delete it or make any changes to it at all before before.  Added back the printer, printed test page, it worked OK. 

Rebooted again -> it had 2 of the same printers.  Deleted the duplicate printer. 

Rebooted acouple more times and it seems to be fixed - FINALLY :)

Many thanks to all who posted suggestions here :) I went through them one at a time until I found the right combination. This friend (not computer literate) has struggled with this off and on for a long time and finally called me in desperation today.  I spent a couple hours with her trying all sorts of things.

UPDATE - 2 HOURS LATER ... my friend called when she tried to print something and it has crashed again .... So, I'll be going there again in the near future....This is insane!!

Barbara

-----

Calidreamworks wrote:

In my case the " spooler subsystem app stopped working" kept popping up.  to correct this i went into the registry and
    finally found the problem, the registry key for the printer pointing to the
    drivers got corrupted:

Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> Version -3 -> Remove
    All Printers From Here (Delete HP First See If that resolves the problem)

That should fix all issues to the SubSystem App crashing, after you delete
    the registry entry, start the printer spooler and reinstall the printer
    drivers, most likely Vista will have these drivers built in.
    ----

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Don't go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001

use

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet

The one you specified is one of two (sometimes more) keys that windows
    maintains to implement Last Known Good Boot. Whichever of the ControlSetnnn
    is current is mapped to CurrentControlSet.

It was only chance that ControlSet001 was the active CurrentControlSet else
    your changes would have been ignored then lost on the next boot.

--
    --
    "RainbowLady77" wrote in message
    news:cdbcef28-a14d-4126-8c0e-443e60582328...
    > This one worked for me to help a friend today - FINALLY!!!
    >
    > One small correction (one small step missing):
    >
    > Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 ->
    > DRIVERS ->Version -3 ->
    >
    > Then Removed the problem printer. Printer then worked fine.
    >
    > After reboot, the printer was was gone completely - actually, that was
    > good because I could not delete it or make any changes to it at all before
    > before. Added back the printer, printed test page, it worked OK.
    >
    > Rebooted again -> it had 2 of the same printers. Deleted the duplicate
    > printer.
    >
    > Rebooted acouple more times and it seems to be fixed - FINALLY :)
    >
    > Many thanks to all who posted suggestions here :) I went through them one
    > at a time until I found the right combination. This friend (not computer
    > literate) has struggled with this off and on for a long time and finally
    > called me in desperation today. I spent a couple hours with her trying
    > all sorts of things.
    >
    > Barbara
    >
    > -----
    >
    > Calidreamworks wrote:
    >
    > In my case the " spooler subsystem app stopped working" kept popping up.
    > to correct this i went into the registry and
    > finally found the problem, the registry key for the printer pointing to
    > the
    > drivers got corrupted:
    >
    > Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> Version -3 -> Remove
    > All Printers From Here (Delete HP First See If that resolves the problem)
    >
    > That should fix all issues to the SubSystem App crashing, after you delete
    > the registry entry, start the printer spooler and reinstall the printer
    > drivers, most likely Vista will have these drivers built in.
    > ----
    >
    >

Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:22 AM
  • I also had some hanging tasks that needed to be removed from "C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS"

Thanx for the solution!

Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:25 PM
  • First thing I did was followed the very first step where I have Selected LPD and LPR; this did not really fix my issue however I followed the instructions to change my registry settings and this change did do the trick. 

The only thing I did differently was on registry setting changes.

In my registry under Windows X64 ( Mine is a 64 bit Vista OS), Drivers --> Version -- 3 ...I have deleted my Kodak Printer Folder and left Microsoft XPS and Send to Microsoft Note as it is.

Also, In Windows x64 --> Print Processors...Here I have deleted my Kodak Printer folder too.

To my surprise this fixed my issue.

How do you need to fix it? Wherever I deleted Kodak Printer folder...You should substitute your printer name. For example lets say you have HP printer then delete the HP Printer folder in Windows X64 --> Drivers --> Version -- 3 and also in Windows x64 --> Print Processors.

Just re-install your printer driver to start using your printer again.

Hopefully you can fix this issue..Don't loose hope.

Please do your part and post your experience with these instructions; this would be a good way to give back to the internet community.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:36 AM
  • you are a life saver
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Thanks to Odyth (April 8, 2009)!

Went into windows/system32/spool/printers and DELETED THE FILES.  Then restarted print spool service.  Magic!  All my printers are back in business.

I first checked out the LPD & LPR settings (and they were okay), then found Odyth's magic solution.  I'm using Vista (tho I still prefer XP).  I think problem initiated by installation of new networked printer (HP Photosmart 7510), tho don't yet know why it caused problems.

Thanks to all for cleverness.

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I had to complete it twice as well but if finally worked.  Thank you so much!!!!
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Thanks Odyth, your method works for my HP 1020 printer.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, after trying so many idea from the web; yours finally made it happen :)  :)

AP

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:41 PM
  •  hi!! I will try this...
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:21 AM
  • FWIW, a corrupt print job was causing this problem for me. After deleting the files in the spool directory (C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS), my problem finally went away. Interestingly enough, the date and time of the first file in the spool directory matched the date and time of the first occurence of the spoolsv.exe errors in my application logs (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application). Curse you Vista.

This fixed my Vista machine in one minute, Just copied this in to the search box C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS and deleted two weird print jobs. Works great!
    • Proposed as answer by Rolfejr297 Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:49 AM
  •  Re odyth above:

This worked like a champ for me.   My problem occurred when I was printing a pdf file and the power suddenly went out.  Yes I was connected to a UPS but the UPS failed and I kept getting this error.  This fixed it for me.  I would give you a million dollars but I dont have it.

• Edited by tbever Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Hi Chan

Thanks heaps. I finally fixed it up thanks to your advice.Have a great day!

Friday, September 28, 2012 12:21 AM
  • Followed your suggestions. Success!! Thank you.
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:14 AM
  • chan thank you very much from tehran

I guess now you are an IT rock star!

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Chan -

You've saved us!!  We had tried everything and even called ZT Computers who supposedly gave us lifetime tech support.  They quickly blamed the problem on HP and told us to contact them.  We're so grateful you participate in these forums and help people.

Cattamus

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thanks.  I have done all your suggestions.  The spooler is working properly and running and the printer driver is up to date. The printer is recognized but cannot communicate.
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Hi Chan,

Thank you so much! I was given this link from another forum and so glad I got it!

I needed a few more steps to get mine working because when I connected my printer it would print the last document, give me the spooling error and printers disappeared from my printer folder.

My additional steps were:

1. Turn off the printer and disconnect from my computer

2. Re-install downloaded (from HP website) driver

3. Ran Windows Fix It

4. Cleared out print que (I couldn't access before)

5. Shut down computer

6. Connect the printer to computer

7. Restart computer

8. Jump for joy!

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:43 AM
  • odyth, you are the best. Stressed and worked on this for hours. Used all the tips above to no avail. Did what you stated above and printer reappeared and I'm back in business. Thank you so much. Just as additional info, I was trying to print a pdf file when the error appeared and I couldn't even find a printer listed. Thanks again.
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Thanks, Mr. Chan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I faced to the same problem trying to install the usb printer HP LaserJet PRO 100 M175a on Win Vista 64-bit with printserver.

For USB  comp connection this 64-bit diver seems to be OK, but with printserver this not works…

Than I try use the universal HP driver, and this driver has  destroyed the spooler, and Spooler SubSystem App crashed, and all printers disappeared (((((((((((((((

The solution is here:

1/ delete like Administrator all new created bad  files in the spool directories

C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS and spool\drivers. Than -

2/ Start -> Run - Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86

and lef here only Drivers and Print Processors

3/Start -> Run - Regedit ->

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

and lef here only Local port, LPR port, Srtandart TCP/IP port, USB monitor and WSD port,

4/ Start -> Run - Regedit ->

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

and lef here only real needed printers,

5/ Than do Mr Chan  perfect procedure with restarting LPD and LPR print services.

And than restart the comp… And go for better net printer with RJ45, and without HP 64bit drivers ))))) 

Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Thanks! I tried & it's works. You're number one!

Friday, August 02, 2013 12:08 AM
  • Hi chan - if you are still participating, now in 2013, I am having the same problem, but it only started about 6 months ago...Vista HP Pavillion 64 bit Laptop...I tried your suggestion but it did not work. Tried Driver Detective and everything this else to no avail. Every time it looks like things are fixed (I can see my printers again) and I either try to print and/or reboot and then try to print, I get the subspooler not installed error message. Any suggestions??

As an author, this is driving me crazy!!

Thanks,

Katrina21

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:24 PM
  • I did the LPD & LPR about a week ago - no change.  My Vista PC still won't print a document coming in from the wireless home network from my Win 8 laptop PC. I can still print to the printer from the Vista via the USB port.

The Win 8 laptop PC will print when the printer (HP4280) is connected to a USB port on the laptop and any document that I send from the Vista PC over the wireless home network.

Vista PC ---> wireless ---> Win laptop = works OK

Win 8 PC ---> wireless ---> Vista PC = printer spooler error.

CamperSteve ...

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:31 PM
  • yeh, this worked for me well yet, no problem occured 

thanx "chan vu"

pk

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Dear Chan,

I was so frustrated when I kept getting the "Spooler Subsystem App stopped working and was closed" message.

Then I found your suggestion and it worked beautifully - thank you, thank you, thank you!  

You have a grateful new fan,

Brenda

Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:35 AM
  • The internets are great. This was the resolution to my problem. I tried installing 64bit driver as a second driver to a networked printer so that my new 64bit laptop could print. My printer spooler constantly shut down on my 32bit host computer, but deleting the registries for it worked like a charm. Thanks!!
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:45 PM