none
To Chris Keroack [MSFT] - Slipstreaming

Question

•  

Hi Chris

What would be the end result or difference when I slipstream SP3 RTM into either

1. XP Pro RTM

2. XP Pro with SP1

3. XPPro with SP2

Best Regards

Jannie

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:49 AM

Answers

• Wrong.

XP SP3 RTM can be slipstreamed into XP Gold (RTM), SP1 or SP2 installation sources. I and others have done so and it works just perfect.

Now for installing SP3 after XP is already installed, that's where the limitation supposedly kicks in, requiring at least SP1 and recomending SP2. I have no idea why this is so.

Also, don't slipstream SP3 under Vista or Server 2008.

I had this issue with betas and RCs of SP3 but I ignored it since they weren't RTM.

In summary, if you perform the slipstreaming of SP3 into XP Corporate under Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, then it will no longer accept your proper VLK keys. I don't know if similar issues are present when performing slipstreams to other editions of XP under Vista/Server 2008.

Other people have confirmed that they still had this issue with SP3 RTM, and I did as well. Re-slipstreaming under XP SP2 instead of under Vista allowed the resulting installation source to still accept my VLK keys.

Links to articles and/or user comments pertaining to this issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3209970&siteid=17&mode=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=3

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/04/21/microsoft-releases-windows-xp-sp3-to-manufacturing.aspx

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Jannie,

There would practically be no difference between the OS image obtained from any of these.

They would all be the same (XP SP3 OS images).

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:57 AM
  • >What would be the end result or difference when I slipstream SP3 RTM into either
    > 1. XP Pro RTM

That is impossible, because SP3 requires at least SP1 to work, just like it used to be in the good ol' Win NT 4.0 days, when service packs used to be incremental, instead of cumulative.

Therefore, you should use a "WinXP with SP2" install CD as the basis for SP3 slipstreaming. You can find bootable CD-ROM ISO files for "WXP with SP2 included" on MSDN subscriber downloads.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Wrong.

XP SP3 RTM can be slipstreamed into XP Gold (RTM), SP1 or SP2 installation sources. I and others have done so and it works just perfect.

Now for installing SP3 after XP is already installed, that's where the limitation supposedly kicks in, requiring at least SP1 and recomending SP2. I have no idea why this is so.

Also, don't slipstream SP3 under Vista or Server 2008.

I had this issue with betas and RCs of SP3 but I ignored it since they weren't RTM.

In summary, if you perform the slipstreaming of SP3 into XP Corporate under Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, then it will no longer accept your proper VLK keys. I don't know if similar issues are present when performing slipstreams to other editions of XP under Vista/Server 2008.

Other people have confirmed that they still had this issue with SP3 RTM, and I did as well. Re-slipstreaming under XP SP2 instead of under Vista allowed the resulting installation source to still accept my VLK keys.

Links to articles and/or user comments pertaining to this issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3209970&siteid=17&mode=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=3

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/04/21/microsoft-releases-windows-xp-sp3-to-manufacturing.aspx

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Dear Chris,

i did a small test

1) XP Retail CD "Gold" German -> slipstream to SP3 RTM

2) XP Retail CD "Gold" German-> slipstream to SP2 -> next to slipstream to SP3 RTM

if found that there are several files that are different.

E.g

Gold->SP3
    MSRDP.CA_ is from 18.08.01
    MSTSC.EX_ is from 18.08.01 -> 5.1.2600.0

Gold->SP2->SP3
    MSRDP.CA_ is from 04.08.04
    MSTSC.EX_ is from 08.08.04 -> v5.1.2600.2180

So Gold to SP3 will have some file older than, like slipstream SP2 before SP3

Why ?

BR,

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:07 PM
  • If you slipstream the SP3 into a Windows XP SP2 set, will the installation media accept SP2 only keys or will it also accept the SP2c extended key set?

Or do you have to create two media discs - one with SP3 ontop of SP2 and the other with SP3 on top of SP2c for the product keys.

I basically want 1 SINGLE CD with XP PRO SP3 which I can install on any PC of any age that has a licence for XP (whether it be pre-SP2c key or not)

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Interesting info, 127.  I haven't confirmed it but I believe you and wonder what the experts have to say about this.  Common sense would now tell me that slipstreaming SP3 to a SP2 XP source is the way it should be done now, but I'll at least wait until I verify this myself and/or read what others have to say about it first.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:06 PM
  • @127

thats because the files you mentioned above were not updated.

only the files changed in their date, which was updated to sp3

while not "all" the files are coming via sp3 Wink

slipstream on sp1 or sp2 the files sp1.cab and sp2 would be on your disk.

i also surprised, why the above files gets not removed after slipstreaming .

greetz from austria

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hi Ismail,

i don't belive that especially these files (i used as example above) should be removed.
    These files are the Remoteterminalclient. This is still needed and in use.

Even there is a newer version v6 available optional, it makes no sense to remove them
    (than you also can remove IE6 patches out of the SP3 cause IE7 exists optional )

I would not wonder if files like MSJVM etc. would be gone, cause it is known that this was removed by SP2 already.

EDIT:

i just found that a slipstreamed SP3 contains and install the Remoteterminalclient v6 (was optional before)
    So SP3 will use newer version, just still strange that the files are old ones (and file name of the v6 is same)
    I think the v6 will be in some CAB file.

BR,

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:51 PM
  •  roirraW "edor" ehT wrote:

Common sense would now tell me that slipstreaming SP3 to a SP2 XP source is the way it should be done now, but I'll at least wait until I verify this myself and/or read what others have to say about it first.

Hello,

I did a little test to satisfy my curiousity about this and believe your thought is correct; slipstream SP3 onto a SP2 source installation. My test involved using the utility 'Beyond Compare' to compare two source installations of XP Professional (OEM RTM). Note I used the 'binary comparison' and compared every attribute possible. The source on the left is XP » SP3; the right is XP » SP2 » SP3. Integration performed via the standard /integrate: source switch, no third-party programs.

This picture demonstrates only the reported mismatches: Link. *updated picture for clarity.

For this reason I think RTM » SP2 » SP3 is also the way to go. Of course my test method could be flawed, but I have found it useful in the past.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:06 PM
  • It seems the listing only shows files that are in both cases not touched by the SP3 patch (based on the dates).

M'soft calls out upgrading only from SP1 or newer.  Since SP3 does not replace all OS files, I'd have to assume

that they have only tested back as far as the SP1 release as far as integrating with the non-modified parts of the OS.

YMMV, but why not just start with the SP2 base?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:36 PM
  • That's right! They are different, but they will NOT BE USED!

The files that will be installed are called "lhmst...".

mstsc.ex_ = 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) (NOT INSTALLED)
    lhmstsc.ex_ = 6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) (INSTALLED)

They just remain in the image like "yahoo.bm_" that hasn't been used since Windows 2000
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:48 PM
  • As a only moderately tech-savvy end user, what is the recommended procedure for slipstreaming sp3?

I have an original xp cd as well as my own sp2 slipstream creation.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:00 AM
  •  forfriends wrote:

As a only moderately tech-savvy end user, what is the recommended procedure for slipstreaming sp3?

I have an original xp cd as well as my own sp2 slipstream creation.

The easiest ways I know is to either use nLite and choose only the Slipstream option, or use RyanVM Integrator and choose Slipstream from the File menu.

The RVM Integrator is the simpler to use if you're only slipstreaming.  Both are useful for other things as well, and can help you recreate and burn the newly slipstreamed bootable ISO.

Both nLite and RVM Integrator perform the slipstream in the same official fashion that MS provides, just behind the scenes of a nice point and click GUI.  I am definitely tech-savvy, but I still prefer these.  Smile  Of course, I use them for other purposes as well.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Thanks for the helpful reply - I will definitely consider those methods.

However, I meant what I should slipstream sp3 on top of >_< (I don't know the word. Sorry), normal xp cd or my already slipstreamed sp2 cd?.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 5:02 AM
  • Whoops, sorry.  If you have the normal XP CD, I would go with that.  Slipstreaming SP3 to a SP1 or SP2 disc just leaves some old files behind (SP1.cat/cab, SP2.cat/cab) that aren't necessary anymore.  It doesn't hurt anything if you do slipstream to SP1 or SP2, and as MS said, it doesn't make any difference in the end result (the XP installation).

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:33 AM
  • Okey dokey. I'll put it on top of the original, then.

Just to clarify however, I read on wikipedia that SP3 does not have IE7. Does that imply that SP3 will be in some ways more incomplete than a SP2 installation?

I do realise it has been noted that it will be exactly the same. . but I'm just checking.

Thanks for all your help again! I tried editing my previous post to apologise for my own ambiguity but both your posts have been useful so far.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:37 AM
  •  

Correct, SP3 doesn't force people to have IE7.  SP2 doesn't include IE7 either.  From what I read, MS said IE7 will stay on your system if you already have it installed and then install SP3.  You'll just lose the ability to uninstall IE7, but who really cares about that?  They said if you do still want to be able to uninstall IE7, uninstall it under SP2, install SP3, then reinstall IE7 after.

You're welcome!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:45 AM
  • Ahh. I was under the (obviously incorrect) impression that SP2 includes IE7.

One thing though - Wikipedia also mentioned that SP3 is incremental rather than cumulative.

Is this correct?

If it is, why does it have no implications for .. slipstreaming on top of a normal xp cd as opposed to an sp2cd / installing sp2 first?

If it's not then . . Stick out tongue

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:07 AM
  • It's incremental when installing on an existing installation. You need sp1/sp2 at a minimum.

Also, slipstreaming SP3 onto original disks appears fine. At first I was wondering if the differences some people had picked up when comparing the actual files actually made a difference, but as SunBeam pointed out, i don't think they're used. most of the files mentioned, once installed, are indeed SP3 versions. when one installs from a (XP original » SP3 slipstream) CD.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:46 AM
  • I wonder why then it cannot be installed on its own; if it can be slipstreamed onto an original cd providing an up to date(as far as sp3 goes anyway) installation why then it cannot be installed on its own on regardless of what service pack is installed currently.

I guess this is just my insecurity that slipstreaming sp3 onto a cd will somehow be incomplete.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:49 AM
  •  forfriends wrote:

I wonder why then it cannot be installed on its own; if it can be slipstreamed onto an original cd providing an up to date(as far as sp3 goes anyway) installation why then it cannot be installed on its own on regardless of what service pack is installed currently.

I guess this is just my insecurity that slipstreaming sp3 onto a cd will somehow be incomplete.

I don't think that saying that when installing SP3 it is incremental is exactly correct, but I'm still not completely clear on the reason either.  I may have read it somewhere but in all the knowledge I've had to attain since SP3 final was leaked, I've forgotten it.  There's several weird things about SP3.  I think it was just last week on SP3 systems an older hotfix appeared under Automatic Updates.  One that some people claimed MS said was included in SP3.

The only things not updated on ANY SP3 slipstream are the optional tools which reside on the CD in the Tools and/or Support folder, but those are things that aren't installed along with the o/s (at least not from there).  If you d/l the complete SP3 ISO, the updated versions of those tools are there and you can just straight replace the old ones with the new versions.

I and others have done some comparisons of the files on XP installation discs.  One of them was a disc slipstreamed ->SP2->SP3 and the other straight ->SP3.  We concluded the differences were files that were left behind when using the ->SP2->SP3 source which SP3 no longer needs for various reasons.  The reason for at least some of them was because SP3 stored the new installation files in a .cab whereas with SP2 they were just files not compressed.  So going ->SP2->SP3 left the uneccessary individual files that never get used.

I would be more concerned with the stupid extra files that get left behind (as I mentioned, SP1.cat and cab, SP2.cat and cab, and these other files I described) when not slipstreaming SP3 with an XP Gold (RTM) disc, but either way you'll get the same net result.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 7:44 PM
  •  forfriends wrote:

Ahh. I was under the (obviously incorrect) impression that SP2 includes IE7.

One thing though - Wikipedia also mentioned that SP3 is incremental rather than cumulative.

Is this correct?

If it is, why does it have no implications for .. slipstreaming on top of a normal xp cd as opposed to an sp2cd / installing sp2 first?

If it's not then . .

No, SP2 came out in August of 2004.  IE7 didn't come out until late 2006 (very near to when Vista went RTM, about October of 2006).

MS knows that especially with companies but including everyone, some people don't want IE7, so they won't include it in any XP Service Packs.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 7:47 PM