none
Windows 7 Professional Downgrade to Windows XP Professional

Question

• I just received a new computer (Dell Optiplex 380) I ordered with Windows 7 Pro Downgrade to Windows XP Pro (for ease of tranferring files and applications from my old XP computer) and have the OEM license key for Windows 7 Pro.  I've performed a scan of my system components with Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and the report indicates no problems I cannot fix easily (only one problem reported).

My question is this:  Will activating my Windows 7 OS likely present any problems with migrating my applications, preferences, and settings from XP to Windows 7 (since Windows 7 is already loaded on my machine)?

The Advisor report indicated that I would have to "perform a custom installation ...", so I'm a little worried about transferring up to Windows 7.

Any advice for me?

Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:50 PM

Answers

• Your post is quite confusing.  A downgrade to Windows XP is the option to delete Windows 7 from your computer and install Windows XP in its place - so you have one or the other, either XP or 7 but not both.

You cannot migrate applications from XP to Win 7 unless you purchase a third party program like Laplink PC Mover.  You can use Windows Easy Transfer to export your settings and data files from XP to be imported into Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by mARK hARROD Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:52 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:14 PM
  • If I understand you correctly, your best bet would have been to get your new computer with only Windows 7 and saved whatever it cost you extra for the XP downgrade.  Then you should have used PC Mover to migrate from your old XP to your new Win 7 computer.  That is one oif the purposes of PC Mover.  By ordering your new computer with XP on it and moving everything from your old computer to your new one you created more work and problems.

If you still have everything on your old computer, then just install Windows 7 on your new computer and use PC Mover to migratre everything.  Read the info on the Laplink website and you will see that is exactly what they are recommending.

Microsoft made it clear when it came out with Windows 7 that there was absolutely no upgrade path from XP to Win 7.  There is one from Vista to Win 7 but even that is not really recommended.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by mARK hARROD Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:42 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:27 PM

All replies

• Your post is quite confusing.  A downgrade to Windows XP is the option to delete Windows 7 from your computer and install Windows XP in its place - so you have one or the other, either XP or 7 but not both.

You cannot migrate applications from XP to Win 7 unless you purchase a third party program like Laplink PC Mover.  You can use Windows Easy Transfer to export your settings and data files from XP to be imported into Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by mARK hARROD Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:52 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion, Rick ... I'll try to explain ...

When I recently ordered my new computer from Dell I opted to get (as an pre-loaded option ... thinking it would make migrating my applications and files easier, since my old computer had XP) what Microsoft refers to as "Windows 7 Professional Downgrade to Windows XP Professional".  I used Laplink PC Mover to transfer all my applications and files from my old XP computer to the new computer.

However, as I stated earlier, I'm now ready to use the already-loaded (but not operational at the present time) Windows 7 Professional OS, and I have the Windows 7 disc and license key that Dell sent with the new computer.

My concern is that (also stated earlier) after running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, I was instructed that I would have to do a "custom install" ... necessitating a complete back-up of all my applications and files ... and re-installing all my programs.  And I'm also worried that all my settings and preferences in Office 2007 will go by the wayside whan I covert to Windows 7.

It seems that Microsoft would have a more seamless method of migrating, since the Windows 7 OS is already installed on the machine. 

Thanks for the reply, Rick!

Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:08 PM
  • If I understand you correctly, your best bet would have been to get your new computer with only Windows 7 and saved whatever it cost you extra for the XP downgrade.  Then you should have used PC Mover to migrate from your old XP to your new Win 7 computer.  That is one oif the purposes of PC Mover.  By ordering your new computer with XP on it and moving everything from your old computer to your new one you created more work and problems.

If you still have everything on your old computer, then just install Windows 7 on your new computer and use PC Mover to migratre everything.  Read the info on the Laplink website and you will see that is exactly what they are recommending.

Microsoft made it clear when it came out with Windows 7 that there was absolutely no upgrade path from XP to Win 7.  There is one from Vista to Win 7 but even that is not really recommended.

• Marked as answer by mARK hARROD Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:42 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:27 PM