none
Windows 7 Screen Saver with Extended Display

Question

• Really enjoying Win7 and can't wait for the RTM product.  I have my 22" display set as my main display and my laptop screen set at my extended display. One issue I have noticed is that when the "Photos" screen saver comes on the picture is split between my laptop screen and my main monitor. I would think it should put the screen saver on either one or both of the displays.

Monday, July 20, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• i agree. the only way you can make it do that is to set up your monitors as dupluicates of each other. i find it rather stupid that when you have dual monitors it does that with the desktop but not the screen saver.
    hope this helps, nitrous_74
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Duplicate with each other mate. And take a look at this

Windows 7 Screensaver Download

Cheers.
    • Edited by meannn Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Not looking to have duplicate screens running. I prefer an extended desktop view so I can have more screen real estate to work with. I just would like my screen saver to understand the extended display. Didn't this work in pervious version of Windows? I could have sworn that it worked correcctly in Vista, XP and 2000.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Technically, it's not Windows that is doing it wrong - it's the screen saver. I was using the pictures screen saver (the one that does a slide show of pictures in the specified folder), and the pictures are always oriented to the top/left corner of my secondary monitor. Since that monitor is smaller than my primary, some of the picture will display on my primary monitor.

In essence, the screen saver(s) needs to be re-written to accommodate multiple monitors.

Friday, August 14, 2009 11:38 AM
  • How do we let the right people know? I think this screen saver worked in Vista and XP. I would hate to see something so small be flaw found in Windows 7.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:51 PM
  • I'm having the same issue (with Pictures screen saver, dual monitors extended, and Windows 7), and you're right, it worked fine in XP.  Not sure what happened during development, but it's definitely something they should patch.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Precisely the same issue, and it was working perfectly in Vista. Here's hoping for a hotfix.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I'm having the same issue (with Pictures screen saver, dual monitors extended, and Windows 7), and you're right, it worked fine in XP.  Not sure what happened during development, but it's definitely something they should patch.
    Basically, I think they said 'If it worked in XP, let's break it."
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:07 AM
  • If you configure your laptop screen to be on the right hand side of your main display the screen saver will run on your main display, if not it will run on your laptop...
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:54 AM
  • FYI to all on this thread. The issue with the screen avers was resolved with Win 7 RTM. It was a RC bug. Have a great day! Brian T.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Well I still have the same problem and my computer is fully up to date.

Could you give a link of the fix?

thanks in advance

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:15 PM
  • It was fixed when I installed the RTM product. Not sure why it isn't working for you.

Friday, March 26, 2010 4:25 PM
  • BenoBEICT said:

Well I still have the same problem and my computer is fully up to date.

Could you give a link of the fix?

thanks in advance

BTMaker said:

It was fixed when I installed the RTM product. Not sure why it isn't working for you.

I'm having the exact same problem.

I'm trying to use the "Photos" screen saver with two monitors set up with extended display and it doesn't display correctly for me either.

Definitely a bug... I have all windows updates and am using Win 7 Professional.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:34 AM
  • I concur (must have been a summer student writing the line of code), my direction is of 19” LCD monitor to 32” HD LCD TV format. At present I’m running both XP pro and “7” on my CPU (much power from old BIG BLUE Thinkcentre!) and have not been able to fumble my way thru this (I do remember my old V.P.’s comment “SOFTWARE will be the death of us all!”) Take heed, we are not designed to rewrite lines of code.. just make a issue with MS, they do comply in time.

Regards, Pls. keep me posted.

Robert

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:08 PM
  • OK.  So when do we think Microsoft will chime in and come up with an answer.  If I remember correctly, the past screen savers allowed tile, center or full screen?  This version does not, which makes me wonder why there has not been a fex yet.  The last post was April, 20 and it is now Sept 20, 2010 or did I miss the fix?
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Check out this thread as well. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/3aab4f4b-8f69-400b-94ff-95bf294ef492

The MS guys jumped in over there and claimed to have a resolution.  Good luck with that.  But what I found helpful was Yancey's post about Google Picasa.  It's free and works perfectly for the extended dual monitors in Windows 7.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:51 PM
  • These are not supported Microsoft procedures so don’t go bitching to Microsoft if it doesn’t work.

From a Windows XP (mine is 32-bit w/ SP3), copy the ssmypics.scr file from "%windir%\system32" folder (mine is C:\Windows\system32) to your Windows 7 "%windir%\system32" folder (mine is C:\Windows\system32). I successfully used the ssmypics.scr file on both 32 & 64 bit versions of Windows 7. The screen saver behaves exactly as it did in Windows XP. Good luck.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:01 PM
  • These are not supported Microsoft procedures so don’t go bitching to Microsoft if it doesn’t work.

From a Windows XP (mine is 32-bit w/ SP3), copy the ssmypics.scr file from "%windir%\system32" folder (mine is C:\Windows\system32) to your Windows 7 "%windir%\system32" folder (mine is C:\Windows\system32). I successfully used the ssmypics.scr file on both 32 & 64 bit versions of Windows 7. The screen saver behaves exactly as it did in Windows XP. Good luck.

This worked great for me, thanks Vinh!
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:41 PM

In my 64bit Win7 installation, its called PhotoScreensaver.scr, and you can't rename or move it: requires permission from trusted installer.

Instead, drop the XP screensaver in the dir with a unique name. Right click, "install".

And it just works.

Thanks for the tip.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:31 AM
  • I use this for my other monitors -  2nd Screen Saver runs an independent screen saver on the other screen(s)!
    http://2ndscreensaver.blogspot.com/
    Monday, September 22, 2014 5:33 PM