none
Check Disk Error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Question

• I have reviewed the Microsft.com threads about the question of how to fix the problem of receiving a Check Disk, 766f6c756d652e63 3f1, error on Windows 7 without any luck in finding any clear answers to the problem. 

The error message appears as follows:

Check file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is OS.

The volume is clean.

Cannot open volume for direct access.

Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software

package.

Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system

to a point prior to the

recent software package installation.

Unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1)

I have tried running Check Disk from Safe Mode, from the installation disc, and from the sysem repair option on the F8 startup screen without any success in accessing drive C with Check Disk.  Even if this something that has been caused by a recently installed software program I know not any way to pin down which programs to uninstall or how to figure out which programs are compliciti in causing this failure.  Could someone please me figure this Windows problem out.

Currently, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit edition) on a 232.88GB 3 partion hard drive (Toshiba MK2565GSX) that was installed a little over a month.  The partions are organized as follows 1.)55MB (OEM Partition) 2.)RECOVERY (D:) 15.00 GB NTS Healthy (Primary Partition 3.) OS (C:) 217.83 GB NTSF Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

• In most cases antivirus programs will cause this issue. I suggest you temporary disable the antivirus and check the result.

If the issue persists, please troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:46 AM
  • I tried your suggestion Arthur, however I still am having the problem.  The act of disabling the antivirus and firewall, as well as doing several types of clean boots made no difference.  Please, I am at my wits end with this problem. Could you me tell what other options there are to fix the problem?
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:57 PM
  • I had similar problem, but in my case I could start chkdsk successfully from F8 System Repair option using D: as the drive. The command ckhdsk C: /r /f executed in couple of seconds so I realised that the OS is not in that partition. The execution of chkdsk on D: took almost two hours and fixed the dirty NTFS file system. The partition (drive) letters in System Repair don't seem to match those in Windows 7, not in my case anyway.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Hi, 

I'd instert the Windows 7 installation DVD and boot from it. Go through the repair system motions, open up a command prompt and run:

chkdsk /f /r c:

After chkdsk completed and Windows would be stable again. After that, I removed some of the most recent packages on the computer with system restore (just to be safe) and voila.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:51 AM