none
Mouse pointer disappears

Question

• Gateway MX6955 laptop ,Core Solo T1400 1.8Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250 GB  HD

My mouse pointer disappears after a few minutes of inactivity. When I toucih the mouse pad, a square appears with little blue dots appears for a second or two, then goes away. The mouse pointer at this point may or may not re-appear. If not, it takes a lot of moving the mouse around to get the pointer back.

I know there is a trick, if you turn on mouse trails and set the trails to the lowest setting, it never disappears. BUT I have certain games which do not work with mouse trails on.

Is there a fix for this?
    • Edited by ThainH Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:29 PM No help here!
    • Edited by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:58 AM Edit tile to reflect question
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• No one has any answers?
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I have tried Upgrading mouse pad drivers to no avail.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:30 PM

• I have a different brand notebook.  Mine has Synaptics touchpad.  I recall booting into Safe Mode and noticing it still works as a generic PS2 mouse even though the Synaptics driver isn't loaded.  It seems the only thing that driver does is make the touchpad's scrollbar work.  I'm sure the driver also enables other trickware that I always turn off anyway.

My point being, try to find some easy way to temporarily disable the touchpad driver.  Then, does it behave correctly as a generic PS2 mouse?

Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I can't disable the touchpad drivers... If I do, they just re-install during the boot process.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:42 AM

• I have something in Administrative Tools > System Configuration > Startup (tab) called "Synaptics Pointing Device Driver".

Maybe you have something equivalent?

Also, how does your mouse behave in Safe Mode?

Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:53 AM
  • My mouse usually works perfectly, it only happens when I leave the computer for a few minutes.

Yes, I have the Synaptics control panel and all, and the only setting I found to work is the mouse trails. But I have games that do not work with mouse trails activated and it's a pain to switch every time I play a game.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:41 AM

• Did you try un-ticking its driver in Administrative Tools > System Configuration > Startup (tab), and/or booting into Safe Mode?  You know, just as an experiment.

Here's another tidbit of info.  I had whack-o problems with the scrollbar in IE8 (under VistaSP2) until I reduced the default setting of Control Panel > Mouse > Wheel (vertical) from 3 to 1.  It seems so weird that would affect Synaptics behavior like it did.  It's kind of why I have interest in learning what's going on with your system.  Hope I'm not being too pushy.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 5:06 AM
  • No, any suggestion is a great help. I appreciate the interest in my case.

Though it is a minor problem, it is irritating.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Hi Thain

Go to the following website.

Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit) Synaptics Touchpad DriverVersion: 9.1.3.0

Click the file   D20023-002-001.exe  and download it to your Desktop.

Next go to this thread and carefully follow the instructions there to install the driver. Select the Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) in the compatibility drop down menu.

HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode

After the driver is installed, reboot the computer and test.

This is the latest Vista driver from Gateway for that touchpad. There are no specific Windows 7 drivers available.

Let us know the results.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:49 AM
  • I had the file on the system already. I downloaded it again, and installed it using compatibility mode, and rebooted.

After boot, I looked at the control panel, and it states "Synaptics Touchpad V5.9" just like the last one, I left it alone, and after 3min the cursor disappeared again. with the same symptoms.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:14 AM
  • There is a long discussion on the CNET forums for this problem, where I found some solutions and a few good workarounds. Most of the people having this problem (myself included) have dual monitors and an Nvidia graphics card, and are losing their pointers when coming back from hibernation. One solution may be to make sure the 2nd monitor is off before letting your computer go into hibernation. A workaround is to turn on mouse trails in the mouse settings. Check out the forum if you want to see the full discussion: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=243929&tag=forum-w;forums06.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Thank you caf21, that workaround is great to mouse trails on.  I too have hit the disappearing mouse arrow problem and I also have multiple monitors (4 in total and used your workaround to resolve the issue.  Thanks for taking the time to share it.
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 11:29 PM
  • I had the same problem with Media Center and a full screen game, Crysis Warhead.... I unchecked pointer trails and it fixed the problem.  Im using Logitech MK710 mouse & keyboard...
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I too had the same problem.. selecting pointer trails helped.Thank you
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

I have dell computer with windows 7.

My cursor disappears suddenly while I am writing something in any office program (word,excell, powerpoint, outlook) or IE. When I click, cursor appears but disappears again. Sometimes it stops disappearing and sometimes it continuously disappears.

What Should I do?

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:38 PM