none
Desktop background shuffle stops working

Question

• Desktop background shuffle stops working after a while. I had the same problem with 7 preview and now with 7 Ultimate RTM 64bit clean install the same issues and I can't figure it out why. If I use the same set of photos on my Mac shuffle works fine.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:25 PM

Answers

• I have discovered what my issue is here. I have VNC installed on my Win7 machine that removes the wallpaper when I log in (to remove latency issues). After disconnecting, my wall paper is now static.

Not sure if this would apply to RDP users that strip wallpaper, but I sort of doubt it.

Anyways, glad to have figured this one out.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Hi Dariusz Stochmal,

Before moving on, could you please help to clarify the following factors?

-       Is the issue that the background slide show works, however, the slide show shuffle stops working which displays the background pictures in order?

-       Could you please let me know when the issue occurs? Does it occur after using certain software, changing some settings or installing something?

In the meantime, let's try the following suggestions to check the result.

First, if there is any the Desktop or wallpaper software installed, please remove it.

Second, please test the issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists, you can also test the issue in a new user account. To do this, please go to Control Panel -> View by: Category -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account. Please see if the issue occurs in this user account. If not, we can transfer the personal files to this account to resolve the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:18 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Dariusz Stochmal,

Before moving on, could you please help to clarify the following factors?

-       Is the issue that the background slide show works, however, the slide show shuffle stops working which displays the background pictures in order?

-       Could you please let me know when the issue occurs? Does it occur after using certain software, changing some settings or installing something?

In the meantime, let's try the following suggestions to check the result.

First, if there is any the Desktop or wallpaper software installed, please remove it.

Second, please test the issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists, you can also test the issue in a new user account. To do this, please go to Control Panel -> View by: Category -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account. Please see if the issue occurs in this user account. If not, we can transfer the personal files to this account to resolve the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:18 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Issue is that the shuffled/slide show  will simply stop and the background will remain on the same picture. This is after clean boot/ new windows installation. No other desktop or wallpaper software is installed.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Hi Dariusz Stochmal,

When the issue occurs, does it stop at the same picture each time? If so, please choose other pictures as background to test the result. Also, does the issue occur when using the embedded Windows 7 Aero Themes such as "Characters"? In addition, what are the background picture files' format in this case? Are they .jpg files?

If the issue persists, I still recommend testing in Clean Boot and the new user account as previously mentioned to narrow down the cause.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:40 AM
  • No it will stop at differnet picture, it will stop also with Windows 7 themes. Pictures are all jpg.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Hi Dariusz,

Does the issue occur in Clean Boot mode and the new user account? If so, you may have to perform in-place upgrade to resolve the issue.

Monday, September 28, 2009 1:33 AM
  • I have the same problem.   It occurred in the RC0 and RC1 builds too.  I had the original windows funky pictures all selected and it just got stuck on one every few days.  I have my switch time set to 3 minutes.  I currently have 3500+ pics selected and it's still happening.  All are gifs, in one directory.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 10:43 PM
  • I have the same issue with my desktop but not my laptop. Laptop is running x32, desktop running x64. I'm running a 780i nvidia board with an 8800gts/512 vid card. Personally I seem to think it's a power issue of some sort. It will work fine until I walk away from my computer for an extended period of time (overnight).  I can reenable it and it works fine, until I leave it overnight. I've disabled sleep on my PC, so it never enters a suspend or hibernate state, but I think something power related is killing the desktop backgroup slideshow.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 12:30 AM
  • I have discovered what my issue is here. I have VNC installed on my Win7 machine that removes the wallpaper when I log in (to remove latency issues). After disconnecting, my wall paper is now static.

Not sure if this would apply to RDP users that strip wallpaper, but I sort of doubt it.

Anyways, glad to have figured this one out.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:31 PM
  • I have VNC too !! I will try to disable removing wallpaper option and see if it will work.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Resolved the issue (at least for me).
    This had to do with the Power schemes. Do this

Type edit power plan in the Start Search box, and then click Edit power plan.
    Click Change advanced power settings.
    Select Available in Desktop background settings->Slide show.
    That's it you should see the background changing.

Hopefully that helps.

IT Professional at home
    • Proposed as answer by ProsperousOne Friday, July 02, 2010 5:04 AM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:08 PM
  • My problems was solved too it was VNC server. After you set you desktop shuffle whenever I would login to my PC through VNC it would stop. I had disabled the remove desktop background in VNC configuration and now shuffle works fine. Thanks to oddroot for the tip.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:19 AM
  • I'm glad to hear that some folks have found the secret sauce.  However, I don't remote into my machine, it's always on, never sleeps/hibernates, and the power setting enables slide show.  It's marginally annoying.  I also notice the same few pictures appear far more frequently than a pure random selection would seem to indicate.  Out of 3,000+ gifs, I have 5-6 that I see daily with a 5 minute shuffle.  I guess there's no preference for picx that have never been shown.  And I suppose I should be glad that it just "stops shuffling" rather than rebooting.  Still annoying though.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:11 PM
  • My Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit stops shuffling desktop images at its own will!

It shuffles a couple of images and just stops.

When I enter the desktop properties->background it shows just one image selected.

Is there a fix for this bug?

Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Used to see this sometimes in W7 Betas.  Have not seen or heard of any evidence of same in Win7 RTM or GA.  What flavour, version, Build are you using?  I used to reset what you are describing a number of times BUT, not since RTM & GAs.  As far as I know, as a MS Win7 Beta Tester & in discussions w/ the W7 Build Team the 'bug' is not in RTM  or GA of Windows 7.  I know of no "fix", other than that the issue was fixed/eliminated by the time RTMs & GAs of Windows 7 were released.
    Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Mine stopped workeding to.  Turns out I had disabled it via the Advanced Power Options (Desktop Shuffle - Pause vs. Enable).
    • Proposed as answer by ProsperousOne Friday, July 02, 2010 1:19 PM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

i solved it by not letting Windows choose visual settings by its own.

Go to: Control panel, search for "Performance Information and Tools"

Click Adjust visual effects.

Choose Custom (I havn't tested the other). Do not choose "Let Windows choose what's best..." I think this is causing the problem (worked for me anyway)

/Petvo

Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I've had the same problem on both my desktop PC and laptop (both of which have had Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed twice each) ever since Win7 went RTM, and it's still occurring to this day with SP1 installed.

I don't have VNC installed, though I do RDP to these two machines on very rare occasions (with backgrounds enabled, but the problem happens far more frequently than I RDP to either of these two computers). However, even though I always set Windows to shuffle the background every 24 hours from a list of 450 jpegs, usually every few days (could be anywhere from 1 day to a week - random), it somehow disables itself by resetting to only having 1 image selected in the background settings dialog.

Some people here mentioned power plan settings, I've checked those and they were already set to making the slideshow Available on both Power and Battery. The desktop is turned on 24/7 and I only ever restart it for Windows updates. The laptop is frequently hibernated and only occasionally rebooted for Windows updates. Hopefully setting the Visual Effects to Custom really fixes it for me, because if it doesn't I'm at a complete dead-end. It's pretty damn irritating.

By the way, like Don.Frazier, I also noticed a long while ago that the shuffling doesn't seem to be distributed very evenly... There are certain wallpapers in my collection that get selected time and time and time again, while there are others that I don't recall ever seeing it show in more than 2 years. And whenever I get one that I've seen recently, I right click on the background and go Next Desktop Background.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Good catch.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:31 AM
  • none of this answers and suggestions worked for me so I tried something else, I copyed all my wallpapers into another folder and in "personalized" options choose that other folder and selected all and its working now...also that Clean boot is ridiculous, it said that I have more than one antivirus working, more than one user is logged on my computer, etc. and that clean boot will prevent those from starting up, but I don't have antivirus at all and just one user account..if I pressed next and let it "fix" things, who knows what it would have prevented from working, I'd probably have even more problems now
    Monday, December 02, 2013 4:19 PM
  • "I don't have antivirus at all"

Can you explain the above, please.  Do you never connect to the Internet?

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Monday, December 02, 2013 6:59 PM