none
Vista 32 bit OEM to Win 7 64 bit upgrade

Question

• I am currently using Vista Home Premium 32 bit only, OEM media, my PC is 64 bit capable.

Will I be able to use the upgrade version of Windows 7 to install the 64 bit O/S or am I only able to upgrade to 32 bit?

I have preordered Win 7 and I need to know if I need to cancel the upgrade and purchase the full retail version.

Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:58 PM

Answers

• While I can't direct you to a web site that clearly verifies this, I believe that you're OK if you have purchased the retail upgrade version.

It is not possible to do an upgrade-in-place from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one, but your copy of Vista will qualify you to use a Win7 upgrade *license*, with a custom (clean) install.

If you had purchased a PC with Vista after 26 June and received an upgrade coupon to Win7, I believe that the license for that would be restricted to like-to-like (32 bit Vista Home Premium to 32 Bit Win7 home premium, only), but the retail upgrade license won't be like that.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

As Windows 7 Upgrade Option describes, the Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the associated edition of Windows 7. Example: Windows Vista® Home Premium K edition can only be upgraded to Windows® 7 Home Premium K edition. A language version of the qualifying Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the same language version of the Windows 7 upgrade software. This indicates that you can only upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. For the exact information, I recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:45 AM

All replies

• While I can't direct you to a web site that clearly verifies this, I believe that you're OK if you have purchased the retail upgrade version.

It is not possible to do an upgrade-in-place from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one, but your copy of Vista will qualify you to use a Win7 upgrade *license*, with a custom (clean) install.

If you had purchased a PC with Vista after 26 June and received an upgrade coupon to Win7, I believe that the license for that would be restricted to like-to-like (32 bit Vista Home Premium to 32 Bit Win7 home premium, only), but the retail upgrade license won't be like that.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Thank you  bobkn.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

As Windows 7 Upgrade Option describes, the Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the associated edition of Windows 7. Example: Windows Vista® Home Premium K edition can only be upgraded to Windows® 7 Home Premium K edition. A language version of the qualifying Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the same language version of the Windows 7 upgrade software. This indicates that you can only upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. For the exact information, I recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

As Windows 7 Upgrade Option describes, the Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the associated edition of Windows 7. Example: Windows Vista® Home Premium K edition can only be upgraded to Windows® 7 Home Premium K edition. A language version of the qualifying Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the same language version of the Windows 7 upgrade software. This indicates that you can only upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. For the exact information, I recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support .

Best Regards
    Dale
    Dale,
    The site you pointed to refers to the OEM Upgrade Option packaged with new machines being sold right now (with Vista installed).  Do you agree with bobkn that the Retail Upgrade package would allow a custom clean install to Windows 7 64-bit on a machine with Vista 32-bit installed?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:58 PM
  • As I know, we can't perform an in-place upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. But it is allowed to order an 64 bit upgrade key and perform a custom clean install. For the official policy on keys, it is recommended to involve Microsoft Customer Service and Support for help.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:52 AM
  • You can absolutely upgrade from 32bit VISTA to 64 bit Windows 7.  If you purchased that $50 upgrade package this past summer then you have received it by now and have noticed that it has a 32bit disk and a 64 bit disk.  As Techwrighter has said you need to boot from the Windows 7 64 bit upgrade disk and then just follow the logical steps from there.  The install disk will then perform a clean install of Windows 7 after reformatting and repartitioning your HDD.    DO NOT WIPE your HDD as other people are suggesting, because then your upgrade disk will not work and you will have to reinstall Vista again.  The upgrade disk will also let you install Windows 7 on a second partition for a dual boot as long as the partition is on the same HDD as your original Vista install.

TechChum  
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hi, I tried just this.  But my system would not boot from the Win7 64 bit Upgrade DVD.  Is th upgrade DVD bootable???
    Robert
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:43 AM
  • The retail upgrade DVD is bootable.

In fact, if you wish to install the X64 version over a 32 bit OS (clean install only, no upgrade-in-place is permitted), then you must boot from the DVD.

In my case, I purchased and downloaded the 64 bit .iso from the Microsoft Store. Rather than burning a DVD, I made a bootable 4GB USB flash drive:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

(I extracted the contents of the .iso with MagicISO, which is shareware. I could have used 7Zip, which is open source/freeware.)

A clean install is quicker with a USB flash drive, and there are no issues with burn quality.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:45 AM
  • JUST TO MAYBE CLEAR UP SOME POSSIBLE CONFUSION (BASED ON ANSWERS i'VE GIVEN TO OTHERS): YOU CAN'T JUST "UPGRADE" TO WINDOWS7 64 BIT FROM VISTA OR ANY OTHER 32 BIT OS. YOU CAN STILL PURCHASE THE CHEAPER UPGRADE PACKAGE FOR WIN 7, THOUGH, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A VALID COPY OF VISTA (i'LL USE VISTA AS THE EXAMPLE FOR "OTHER" TO KEEP THIS SHORTER). THE REASON THERE ARE UPGRADE AND FULL VERSION INSTALL'S, IS BECAUSE THEY ARE GIVING YOU A BREAK FOR HAVING BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER AND HAVING SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON VISTA NOT THAT LONG AGO. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A CLEAN EXPLODE -N- RELOAD, JUST AS IF YOU WERE STARTING FROM A NEW SYSTEM....IT JUST WONT COST YOU AS MUCH. i BELIEVE IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY, IT WILL SAVE ALL YOUR OLD O.S. DATA IN A FILE...IN CASE YOU WANT TO SWITCH BACK TO VISTA FOR SOME REASON, SO THAT IS ANOTHER PERK OF DOING IT THIS WAY. I'M NOT SURE HOW EASY IT IS TO TRANSFER ANY OF THE DATA FROM THE .OLD FILE TO THE NEW O.S. , BUT I'VE HEARD PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT DOING IT....BUT AGAIN....I DON'T KNOW WHAT ALL WILL SLIDE OVER FROM VISTA 32 TO WIN 7 64. PIX, ADDY BOOKS AND STUFF LIKE THAT MAYBE? I'VE NOT EVER TRIED TO DO IT, SO I CAN'T ANSWER THAT ONE AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

i ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT SETTING UP DUAL OPERATING SYSTEMS. PLACING WIN7 64BIT ON MY 10K RPM GAMING DRIVE...ALONG WITH MY ONLINE MMORPG'S AND ANY OTHER VIDEO AND RAM EATING SOFTWARE/GAMES ON THAT DRIVE....AND THEN JUST LEAVING MY VISTA DRIVE THE WAY IT IS....JUST TO SEE ALL THE GOOD, BAD N OOOOGLY THAT BOTH HAVE TO OFFER. IF ANYONE HAS ALREADY DONE THIS AND HAS SOME GOOD DATA TO PASS ON TO ME, I WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATIVE! ANYTHING THAT WOULD SAVE ME TIME WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL TO ME. JUST REPLY TO THIS HERE AND I'LL FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET YOU AN EMAIL ADDRESS OR SOME VOX PROGRAM WE CAN HOP ON AND CHAT ABOUT IT....WHATEVER IS MOST COMFORTABLE TO YOU. THANKS IN ADVANCE....AND I HOPE THAT THE PRICE DIFFERENCE AND REASONING BEHIND IT, HAS CLARIFIED SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE. I'VE CERTAINLY BEEN ASKED ABOUT THAT MORE THAN A FEW TIMES AND WANTED TO PASS THE INFO ALONG. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:30 AM