none
Task BackgroundConfigSurveyor:The task image is damaged or been tampered with

Question

• TaskBackgroundConfigSurveyor: The task is damaged or has been tampered with.

That is the error I get when I open Task Scheduler. It just makes the error sound and it pops up I have no idea why and that is why I'm here. If it's a task I can't find it.

About a week ago I did an Acronis Backup to a month earlier and the error was gone. A couple of days later and it's back.

The path for this is System32/Tasks/Microsoft/Windows/PerfTrack/BackgroundConfigSurveyor. I was just about ready to delete the folder but I thought I better check wit you all first and see if I can get some help at getting this error fixed.

This error happens when I open the Task Scheduler. I'm running Windows 7 HP on an Acer laptop. 4GB RAM/32Bit

I don't know what to do about this anymor. I've run chkdsk and sfc \scannow and the integrity was good on both so I'm kind of at my wits end. There doesn't seem to be any answers in Google and the forums have been coming up empty. Please clue me in on some solution.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:16 AM

Answers

• I had an Acronis Backup that I ran that took me back to a time when the BackgroundConfigSurveyor task was running properly and so far so good, but I did that before and it ended up crapping out on me again, so I'm going to ask you about this method that you've described here. If I export the task cache I tried it but do I select in the Export Range: All or just the selected branch. When I clicked on export it took me to my documents file and asked me if I wanted to save all or just the selected branch? That's why I'm asking. Let's say I do that and save those .reg files in my documents folder and the error is gone. What would I do with those saved tasks? Would I replace the the backup and how? Do you just double click those .reg files to restore them or what do you do to replace the tasks from the cache.

If I delete the Task BackgroundConfigSurveyor from the Perf Track folder the error goes away, but does the corrupted task replace itself?, or is it just gone and how important is that file or task?

How do you export those reg files as a backup? The way I described above. Just save them in my documents folder. Is that it. Please be patient with me when it comes to the registry. Thanx

The actual task that causes the error is a hidden task, (BackgroundConfigSurveyor in the PerfTrack folder)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This damaged task can be created by the third party software.

You may launch Task Scheduler to check if there are any tasks for third party software and disable them to check the result.

I also would like to suggest you navigate and export the following registry as a backup and delete the third party software tasks you find under this registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:07 AM
  • I had an Acronis Backup that I ran that took me back to a time when the BackgroundConfigSurveyor task was running properly and so far so good, but I did that before and it ended up crapping out on me again, so I'm going to ask you about this method that you've described here. If I export the task cache I tried it but do I select in the Export Range: All or just the selected branch. When I clicked on export it took me to my documents file and asked me if I wanted to save all or just the selected branch? That's why I'm asking. Let's say I do that and save those .reg files in my documents folder and the error is gone. What would I do with those saved tasks? Would I replace the the backup and how? Do you just double click those .reg files to restore them or what do you do to replace the tasks from the cache.

If I delete the Task BackgroundConfigSurveyor from the Perf Track folder the error goes away, but does the corrupted task replace itself?, or is it just gone and how important is that file or task?

How do you export those reg files as a backup? The way I described above. Just save them in my documents folder. Is that it. Please be patient with me when it comes to the registry. Thanx

The actual task that causes the error is a hidden task, (BackgroundConfigSurveyor in the PerfTrack folder)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

For the detailed steps of how to back up the registry, you may refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

To restore the registry, you may just double click the .reg file to import.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 2:25 AM