none
Vista Bluetooth

Question

• After upgrading from XP, my computer can't find bluetooth, it seems as if it is turned off?

Tried installing drivers, no avail

any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 1:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

It seems to be a compatibility issue, please let me know the model of the Bluetooth device/dongle.

Cheers,

Lionel

Monday, April 07, 2008 11:07 AM
  • It is a Broadcom chip with bluetooth 2.0+EDR. I can't find the exact model number, but I know that it has built in 802.11 b/g WIFI. *the chip doesnt include the fm radio module, i believe this is the newer model of the chip in my computer.

If it helps, I have had bluetooth working on XP and another, previous Vista install on another PC with identical hardware, but i could be mistaken.

Thanks again

Monday, April 07, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

There are many factors that may lead to Bluetooth detection issues, but most of them are compatibility related.

Generally, Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR logo can support Windows Vista. Based on your case, please also check if the motherboard driver is updated and designed for Windows Vista.

Also, let me know if all Bluetooth devices you’ve tested failed to be recognized. As I know, there are some Bluetooth devices that are not compatible with Windows Vista though Bluetooth dongle does. Let me know the model of the them if you cannot ensure the compatibility.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Lionel

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,

The device in question is a Microsoft Laser Mouse 8000 (made for Vista). While it comes with its own USB stack, I'd rather use the one that is built into my computer. The Bluetooth Devices panel doesn't show up in the Control Panel, nor in the device manager. I have searched my computer (via the start menu) and found nothing as well.

My motherboard drivers are up to date, I've run Windows Update as well as tried getting the drivers straight from the manufacturer, but it states that I have the current set. The thing that irks me is that it has worked on an identical machine with the same hardware after a fresh Vista install.

I have tried booting into Ubuntu through the live cd, and I am able to pair up a cellular phone and the mouse, but once I reboot into Vista, it seems as if bluetooth doesnt even exist on the computer. Therefore I think you are correct in that it is a compatibility issue... is there a solution?

Perhaps a way to turn on the Bluetooth chip within Vista?

I appreciate your assistance.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Hello,

According to your description and the mouse model, I hope the following KB article may help you in this case:

(KB894035) The Bluetooth Devices item is not present when you open Control Panel

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;894035

Thanks!

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Lionel,

I appreciate the effort, but it did not quite solve my problem
    . The Bluetooth option is not in my control panel, nor is it provided as a service. I've tried every option in the KBB article, but it seems as if what i need to do is install the bluetooth software onto my computer.

Thanks again,

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

If uninstalling Bluetooth software makes any difference, please share the result here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:41 AM
  • I apologize for any confusion, I can't uninstall the software because it is not installed on my system in the first place.

Do you know of any way to get the Bluetooth Devices to show up in the Control Panel or Services folder that the KBB article described? I tried those solutions, but i cannot find any bluetooth software in Vista's control panel, or anywhere else. Is there a update package that I need?

thanks

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:19 AM
  • Hello,

Generally, after you plug the Bluetooth dongle into the USB port, the Bluetooth configuration item should show in Control Panel – Hardware and Sound. You may refer to the following on-line help document:

Windows Help and How-to: Set up a Bluetooth enabled device

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/67cdb8d4-c3fe-43db-a00e-53159bf8695b1033.mspx

Based on your description, I think you should go to the following KB article:

(KB811805) The mouse and the keyboard may not be detected when you install the Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth or the Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811805

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:27 AM
  •  

Hi Lionel,

I have an LG E500 J.AP01A9 laptop and the bluetooth (2.0+EDR) was working with Vista with no SP.  When I installed SP1 (Corporate install) it now does not see any of the bluetooth hardware in device manager.

I tried reinstalling the drivers however as the hardware is not longer detected it does not work.

The computer is recognising that the bluetooth is turned off currently (Light turns off when the bluetooth device is turned off.)  I have checked the BIOS and cannot change on or off there, so it must be a software, SP1 related issue.

This does not seem to be the same issue as the one listed above as this is for an onboard bluetooth device, however I am worried about why it is not in device manager. (Note: I have the control panel applet as it was working before the sp1 upgrade and I reinstalled the software)

Thank you,

James Magnan

Vancouver, BC, Canada

IT Department, Mark Anthony Group

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:34 AM
  • My device was on board as well, if it helps.

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

Ayurvedicmonster, have you tested if KB811805 helps in your scenario?

James, we generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Lionel

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:56 AM
  • Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Hi James/RoundTop,

have you found any solution for this BT problem with SP1? I have similar problems but haven't found any fixes yet. Worked great previously on my LG E500 with Microsoft Vista Business but stopped working. And most likely due to installation of SP1 (but unfortunately I cannot exactly track the time when it stopped working).

And sorry, I was not able to find a suitable thread to post my comment on. And as it was visible in here, I'll just shoot --- still related to problems with Vista & Bluetooth.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Actually yes, there is a fix.

It is pretty funny.  There is an undocumented shortcut key on the LG E500.  It is a toggle for the bluetooth adapter on the system.

Fn+F10 I believe, or is it Fn+F11.  One of the two.

It is not marked on the keyboard, but it is there.  (I confirmed this with LG support).

It doesn't turn off any antenna like the wireless toggle does, but switches off the entire bluetooth module.

I hope this helps.

-James

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:49 PM
  • I beleve the bluetooth was removed or hidden is SP1 I don't know why nor do I know how to fix it, I noticed it the day I up dated and agan after I did a system restore and reinstalled SP1, I hope this helps :\
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:17 AM
  •  pres fn and f11 on you keyboarde it will put it on and of
    Monday, January 05, 2009 12:28 AM