none
Imagex vs Ghost

Question

•  

I have been doing alot reading on the functionality of Imagex which sounds really awsome.  My question is in regards to partition and format.  Ghost is sectorl level allowing you to create an image along with the partition information and formatt information.  So when you deploy your image you do not have create an partition or format the drive.  From the reading I have been doing it sounds like you have to create a partition using diskpart and then format the drive then apply your image using imagex.  Is this correct? If so is there anyway to automate this function?

Any help is much appreciated.

Jason

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:33 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You are correct.  Ghost is a sector based imaging system and Imagex is a file based imaging system.  Imagex needs a drive and partition available in order to apply the image.

You can easily automate these functions using Windows PE and the WAIK toolset.  You might also consider checking out BDD 2007 which has many of these automation features done for your.  Check it out at www.microsoft.com/bdd

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You are correct.  Ghost is a sector based imaging system and Imagex is a file based imaging system.  Imagex needs a drive and partition available in order to apply the image.

You can easily automate these functions using Windows PE and the WAIK toolset.  You might also consider checking out BDD 2007 which has many of these automation features done for your.  Check it out at www.microsoft.com/bdd

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Thanks Tim,

That cleared up my confusion.  I am currently in the process of testing BDD which sounds like the answer to alot of my problems.  If what it claims actually works that will be a really big motivator to moving to Vista.

Thanks again

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:47 PM
  •  

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:48 PM
  • If you are booting to a WDS server, after you select the boot image you want to use, and it moves to the OS chooser there is a link under the OS list named something like Advanced Disk Tools (or something like that).  You can format and create partitions from this screen as well without having to use DISKPART.  Only if you are using the Vista boot.wim that allows the iteration of the OS groups in WDS.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:01 PM