none
dual boot windows 8 and windows xp

Question

• i had been bought a windows 8 pro from my uncle, and i upgrade my windows 7 to windows 8, but due to old hardware, the performance of windows 8 is little lag and not fluid. i think windows 8 is great on its security and stability than windows 7, there is app market too, actually i wanna go back to 7, but because i had been bought and feel quite happy with the features, so i will still go to 8  for social, apps, "light" games. i will do tasks, heavy browsing, photoshop, corel, and quite heavy multitasking in windows xp. i think xp is still very light than 7 and 8. so i managed to dual boot with my 8, created E partition for xp installation, first, it ran smooth, but when first restart or when finished copying files to E partition, windows said that boot.ini error , ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. i've entered recovery via xp installation CD, expand ntoskrnl.ex_ , but it said unable to expand. my partitions : system reserved, C, D, and E (logical partition). or maybe xp cannot run in logical partition?      so, i back to boot from 8. mmm.... i dont know how to fix my problem. please help me.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:06 AM

Answers

All replies

•   Basically, you did it the wrong way around. If you want to multiboot you should always install the older OS first.

The Windows 8 installer is aware of Windows XP and will handle this for you when you install it. The XP installer of course knows nothing about Win 8 (which uses a completely different boot system), so you lose the ability to find windows 8.

It is possible to fix this but it is not easy. You have to install an XP ntldr into the Windows 8 boot menu. Probably the easiest method is this one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic481659.html  

Bill

Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:37 AM
  • the installation of xp was successful, but failed to boot, then i tried to reinstall windows xp, but after copying windows XP files to harddisk then restart, the xp was failed to boot, error boot.ini and missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe , i've tried to expand in xp recovey via installation CD, but it was unable to expand the ntoskrnl. and after i observed, the xp boot from C:\windows , it's false because i install the XP in E partition

at the first time, i installed xp by USB flashdisk, but if i want to use cd, after windows finished copying files to harddisk, can i remove the cd or still boot from cd again? in USB flashdisk, the steps are explained, so i dont know if install via CD. the xp installation seems more difficult than 7 or 8

• Edited by rizaldiwn Sunday, February 03, 2013 6:34 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest to install  Windows XP first then Windows 8.

If you install Windows XP on a Windows 8 machine, it may cause unexpected issue. EasyBCD may help you somewhere. You can download it form third party website.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 04, 2013 9:08 AM
  • after windows xp finished copying files to harddisk, what should i do next? boot from cd again or harddisk directly?
    Monday, February 04, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

Your problem is more about Windows XP, I suggest to contact Windows XP forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxpitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:18 AM