none
Data Error (cyclic Redundancy Check)

Question

• I Have an Iomega HDD external Hard drive I've had a year now and it worked perfectly till about a week ago. Suddenly It started asking me to format it and when I click cancel it would give an error saying "Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)" I tried doing all i could find on the wed with chkdsk etc.

it still doesn't work it's needless to say that I have extremely important files and pictures on this drive and the last thing I want is to format it and lose everything I have. 

I have tried using recovery software in order to transfer all the data to another location but they can't access the drive due to the same error.

I'm using Windows 7 if it helps in any way thank you.

Please Help Me.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Use diagnostic tools from hdd vendor support page to check if hdd is OK.

Check the teperature with CrystalDiskInfo or similar. Make sure that HDD works under limit temperature.

Rgds

milos

Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Duplicate thread from here?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/1fd781f8-2ed3-4b88-9616-8b4d297427f4

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:32 PM
  • (Milos Puchta): I have no idea how to do whatever it is you explained. Could you please be more specific.

(ZigZag3143x) Yes it is i by mistake put the thread on the windows vista wall.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Hi,

Please visit your external hard drive manufacturer’s website and look for data recovery tool or disk checker tool for your model to check your drive.

It is also recommended to contact the manufacturer support for help.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 17, 2012 7:37 AM