none
Laptop problem: 0% available (plugged in, not charging)

Question

• Alright, so, I know there are a lot of posts concerning this issue, but none have quite the same circumstances as mine.

First off, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525, and I'm running Vista. I got this a few years ago, and since I didn't know anything about laptops, I left it plugged in all the time. This fried my battery, however, I managed by just continuing to keep the laptop plugged in at all times. It would just say, "0% available (plugged in, not charging)". This worked for a long time, but after awhile, my power cord began to fail. Just recently, it stopped working completely and I had to get a new cord. At the same time, my boyfriend surprised me by getting a new battery as well. So the first thing the battery said to do was put the battery in, unplug the power cord, and use up the charge, and then plug the power cord in and let charge completely. We used up the charge, but when we plugged it in, the light signifying that it was charging didn't come on. And now it still says, "0% available (plugged in, not charging)".

I've been looking on every troubleshooting page I can find, and many people have the same issue with charging. I've tried every solution that I've seen. Some people talk about long processes of removing the battery, turning off the computer, unplugging the cord, putting the battery back in, plugging the cord back in, turning the computer back on, etc. and they swear that they work. But it hasn't worked for me.
    Some say to update the BIOS, but there are no updates for my model.
    The problem shouldn't be either the cord or the battery, as I just got new ones.
    Some people say it's just Vista, and that it will be fixed if I upgrade to 7, but some people report the problem with 7 as well.

I just don't know what to do anymore. It's so frustrating not being able to move my computer once I've turned it on. And it shutting down unexpectedly every time the cord gets bumped and unplugged. And the fact that we just spent all that money on a new cord and battery and it still doesn't work.

If anyone could help, I would be so grateful! Thank you in advance!

Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please also follow this link and see if it is any help to your issue:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001134.htm

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 05, 2011 8:58 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:31 AM
  • According to these values, it should not be a wear problem, but the battery could be faulty; I've found a few threads in the Dell Forums talking about this kind of problems, so I suggest you to contact Dell Support at the following address

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, November 28, 2011 6:30 AM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• Download and run the program that you find at the following address

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It can report the battery wear level, among the other informations: it could be useful to determine if that's a battery problem.
    Also contact Dell Support and ask for assistance.

Bye.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Okay, I downloaded the program, but I don't know what the values mean.

My voltage says: Value=9.8 Min=9.79 Max=9.8

The Designed Capacity is 48840mWh

The Full Charge Capacity is 48840mWh

The Current Capacity is 0mWh

Charge Level is 0%

Wear Level is 0%

How does one know if that implies a battery problem?
    Thank you so much!

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:06 PM
  • According to these values, it should not be a wear problem, but the battery could be faulty; I've found a few threads in the Dell Forums talking about this kind of problems, so I suggest you to contact Dell Support at the following address

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Bye.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, November 28, 2011 6:30 AM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please also follow this link and see if it is any help to your issue:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001134.htm

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:31 AM
  • I'm having the same problem and yes there is an updated BIOS version.  I'd already tried it and it didn't work as well.  If you want or know someone that you trust take apart your laptop and check your port for your battery.  It may of desolder itself.
    Monday, March 05, 2012 6:52 PM