none
windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware?

Question

• I have a copy of windows 7 to replace the windows 7 RC. But it just couldn't be setup on my computer.
    The file copy went just fine, but after restarting a few times, the error message shown in title came up at the step of "completing installation" and the computer was power off.
    some one suggest that it has something to do with the SATA controller, the AHCI mode should be switched to IDE. But I don't even have the item in my bios configuration.
    anyone have any idea? I will post my computer specs if needed.
    thanks
    • Edited by chenxlei Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:10 AM

Answers

• It worked, with Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed. I can't believe it, because when I tried to choose iastor and iaahci these two drivers from a USB thumb, there was no driver listed in the thumb drive, if the "hide drivers not compatible with the computer" box was ticked. But if I didn't tick the option, dozens of drivers by the names of iastor and iaachi showed up in list. So I thought probably none of them was compatible with my hardware. But I still selected all of them as a desparate move. Surprisingly, installation ran all smooth!
    But do I have to install these drivers every time I try to re-install the system?
    Thanks!
    I apologize for not pointing out which folder to use.
    Intel recommends that you install it that way each time for the best results. Then you use their recent drivers instead of those packaged with Windows. It depends on your BIOS and previous installation whether you must include those every time. The G31Express chipset with the ICH7 controller runs better using that method.

I think your situation required it because of previous installations on that partition.
    • Marked as answer by chenxlei Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:07 PM

All replies

• My system configurations:

Motherboard: MSI G31M3V2 (MS-7529)
    CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @2.50 GHz,
    Memory: Kingston DDR2 800MHz, 4GB
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3650 (RV635)
    Hard drive: Seagate 640GB, ID ST3640323AS
    • Edited by chenxlei Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Hi chenxlei,
    You'll want to leave the AHCI on. It's in chipset, advanced configuration, SATA mode. Best for SATA operation.

Did you delete the partition on the HDD that Win 7 RC was installed? Do that before attempting the new install. 

Are you trying to install a 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

Also, it appears that you will have to add the Intel Matrix Storage Manager during the installation process. 
    Download the floppy utility here from Intel. (change for 64-bit)
    Extract the files to usb external storage device.
    During the custom installation process, on the select a drive page, there is an add driver option.
    Point that to the files iastor and iaahci (need both)
    then select the drive/partition and proceed with the install.

MSI is supporting the board for Win 7.  
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:41 PM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your advice.
    I am trying to install the 32-bit window 7 enterprise edition from my university. I also tried the ultimate edition, and it has the same problem too.
    It seems that either my MSI board or hard drive does not support AHCI, because there is no such option in bios.
    I will try again with Intel Matrix Storage later, although I already had windows vista sp2 installed on my computer with all driver and software I need. : )
    Thanks again.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:52 PM
  • By the way, it's really wield that I tried many times to install it yesterday, and there was actually one time that I succeeded.  Usually I format the partition before install. But that time I forgot to format the partition with windows 7 ultimate edition half-way installed before I installed the enterprise edition. It was successfully installed. But when I format the partition and tried again, because there were two windows folder and I don't like it, it just kept failing.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I would prep the entire HDD before trying an install. The partition and boot record are causing the problem.

1.Boot from the Win 7 Enterprise dvd, after language page
    2. Select repair
    3. When the utilities page appears, select command prompt
    4. type diskpart, press enter
    5. type list disk (you should see disk 0), press enter
    6. type select disk 0, press enter
    7. type clean, press enter
    8. type create partition primary, press enter
    9. type active, press enter

close out of command prompt and select shutdown (leave the installation disc in the drive)

power on the computer and attempt the install.  Win 7 will format the partition for you.

It needed to be wiped (clean) and a fresh partition created.

What's the result?

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:46 PM
  • will this action wipe the whole disk or just one partition? I cannot backup all my data on the disk...
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:13 PM
  • It worked, with Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed. I can't believe it, because when I tried to choose iastor and iaahci these two drivers from a USB thumb, there was no driver listed in the thumb drive, if the "hide drivers not compatible with the computer" box was ticked. But if I didn't tick the option, dozens of drivers by the names of iastor and iaachi showed up in list. So I thought probably none of them was compatible with my hardware. But I still selected all of them as a desparate move. Surprisingly, installation ran all smooth!
    But do I have to install these drivers every time I try to re-install the system?
    Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:03 PM
  • This action will wipe entire disk. You did not specify that you had multiple partitions. Search diskpart utility on TechNet for future reference.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:59 PM
    Thanks!
    I apologize for not pointing out which folder to use.
    Intel recommends that you install it that way each time for the best results. Then you use their recent drivers instead of those packaged with Windows. It depends on your BIOS and previous installation whether you must include those every time. The G31Express chipset with the ICH7 controller runs better using that method.

I think your situation required it because of previous installations on that partition.
    • Marked as answer by chenxlei Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Anyway, the problem is solved. Maybe next time I will select only ICH7 controller. And I don't know if I am just imaging this,  it seems the data copy is much faster than before. : )
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 3:03 AM
  • I got this fixed by using the drivers listed on http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20625
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

I have the similar issue when installing Windows 7 ultimate on my HP laptop DM4-3050US.  I downloaded  the drivers from Intel but my laptop does not read the flash drive and I already deleted all the OEM partitions. Any help please?

Friday, June 08, 2012 11:07 PM