none
XP Mode no longer works

Question

• After installing Windows 7 I installed XP mode and it worked fine.  A week goes by and I go to fire up an XP app and it complains that "hardware assited virtualization is disabled".  I haven't rebooted my PC or disabled virtualization so it's not like I changed a setting.  Why would it all of a sudden stop working??
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 5:36 AM

Answers

• From the error, it seems that the virtualization support information is changed in BIOS. If available, I suggest that let's restart the computer, get into BIOS to see if related setting is changed. If not, change it to Disable, save and exit, then change it back to see the result.

If issue still exists, as John mentioned, we can test to get a new BIOS from ASUS.

Friday, October 02, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

• Has your machine gone into hibernation or sleep mode and resumed? Not all bioses properly report hardware virtualization after resuming from sleep. Mine didn't. I had to get a new bios from ASUS.
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 5:38 PM
  • From the error, it seems that the virtualization support information is changed in BIOS. If available, I suggest that let's restart the computer, get into BIOS to see if related setting is changed. If not, change it to Disable, save and exit, then change it back to see the result.

If issue still exists, as John mentioned, we can test to get a new BIOS from ASUS.

Friday, October 02, 2009 6:20 AM