none
Add Additional Voices for Windows 7 text-to-speech (TTS)

Question

• We are trying to add additional voices to Windows 7.
    Voices from Acapela Group are SAPI 5 compatible and will work with Acapela's programs.
    These voices do not, however, show up in the Control Panel, Speech Recognition, Text to Speech, Voice Selection option.

One problem is that the Acapela program makes appropriate entries in the Voices section of HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but not in
    HKEY_LoCAL_MACHINE. The latter are required for a Voice to show up in the dropdown list.

We made the appprpriate entries in LOCAL_MACHINE. The Voices not show in the drop down list, but there is an error message that: "This voice cannot be played".

Does anyone know how to setup a new Voice and make it the default rather than using Anna ?

Thank you very much.

Robert Robinson
    Robbie
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

• We are having zero progress trying to solve this problem.
    I haven't tried adding a TTS voice and making it the default in XP, but understand from those who have done it that the Voice installers create an entry that shows up in the TTS voice selection box.
    In Vista, a fix that reportedly works is to select show 32 bit icons in Control Panel. The added voices show up as icons and clicking on one provides an option to set the default voice.
    The Vista option doesn't exist in Windows 7 except possibly by executing C:\windows\syswow64\control.exe filename.cpl

Robbie
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:09 PM
  • I am having the same problem. Did you ever find out how to add voices? Thanks
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Me Three - How do we get some other voices loaded - ?  - It's holding up a project I am working on . ...  ? Thanks for any help you can provide - I thought this would have been a slam dunk in the new WIN7 op sys!   HELP!
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:19 AM
  • The same here. Is there any solutions?
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Try to run this:   %windir%\SysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

The credir for the solution is for http://wxmesg.blogspot.com/2010/06/at-natural-voices-on-64-bit-windows-7.html

Fernando López-Torrijos

Friday, January 06, 2012 3:27 PM
  • I also want to know
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:42 PM
  • I also want to know

Hello All,

Windows 7 can cause some problem.But on XP you can follow the following Path:

-Install MS 5.1

-Install Acapela Infovox 2 Engine

-Install Acapela Infovox 2 Engine Update

-Install Acapela Infovox 2  Voices

-Open MS 5.1

_Select Sound!

Windows 7 can not work...

Mursit Hakan Cil

Mursit Hakan Cil (NO SIGNATURE)

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Did anyone ever come up with a solution for this?

Or more importantly now: how you do it on Windows 8 and 8.1!

Put me out of my misery someone, please! ;-)

Monday, March 31, 2014 6:55 PM