none
Outlook 2013 fails after latest MS updates - Nov 13th 2013

Question

• Today, Wed Nov 13th my PC said it have updates to install. 24 in total for Win 7 SP1 32Bit with Office 2013 previously fully patched up.

Following a restart and opening Outlook I found outlook would open but just for a short time it then said something like it had found a problem and needed to close. Clicked OK and tried again.

No luck same thing.

Checked for other updates - 3. Tried them, no improvement.

Did system restore to get back working. OK now if sluggish.

It looks like one or more of those updates screws up Outlook 2013.

regards

Phil

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:46 PM

Answers

• This might be a workaround:

Go to Change Account->More Settings->Advanced Tab

In Folders->Root folder path: enter: Inbox

This field was empty, don't know why, but after changing the field, the Inbox synced again and I was able to delete messages again.

Dirk

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:55 PM
  • This fixes it for us.  But this would be a nightmare to deal with over multiple sites and clients.  We copied the olmapi32.dll file from a non updated system over to the patched system and it worked.

"BTW, we tried to uninstall updates KB2837618 and KB2837643 in Control panel > Program and features > View installed updates and restarted Windows. But after that the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OLMAPI32.DLL" file was still on version 15.0.4551.1003 and Outlook crashed as before. Only reverting Windows to the restore point created before installation of the updates fixed the issue."

--rpr.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:44 PM

All replies

• I can attest to this.  I'm sitting at a user's computer who is experiencing the same problem.  Fine yesterday, today it'll crash half way through typing an e-mail.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:38 PM

• MS will need to address this ASAP! Many or all Win 8 Office 365 users are unable to use MS Office today.

I cannot even download the "fixit" page at:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/5/505878EB-FFC4-4DF0-A526-B1165BFA6C35/O15CTRRemove.diagcab

Ideally, this means MS is working on this issue.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Similar issue here, it opens and then just hangs. Sometimes I can use it for a whole 10 minutes. 

Microsoft support was not really helpfull, they said it was a problem with service components and settings corruption in MS Office, and they needed to use "advanced tools" available onl;y to Microsoft, and then advised me it would cost me money for something they broke YAY!!

Anyone find a fix?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Same thing here in Seattle, all day yesterday  ( 11-12-13)  and still persists today....I can not OPEN a Single Email in my "IN Box"  I, literally spent HOURS trying to update, clear cookies, cache, went back and RE-RE-updated the most recent updates again today, all to no avail ....it would be so kind if someone ( MICROSOFT!!!)   would just put the word out there that there that they are experiencing "technical difficulties" and that it is being worked on instead of us wasting HOURS of valuable time spinning our wheels...it's just so frustrating!!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:31 PM
  • So are we just out of luck? Cause I have got absolutely nothing done today.  I almost threw my laptop down some stairs at one point because I thought it was me.  Turns out it has something to do with some auto updates? 
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Hi

Since the issue occured right after you installed Microsoft updates, we recommend you go to Control panel>Program and features>View installed updates and remove the newly installed updates.

If everything works well after that, please temporarily disable the certain updates and wait for Microsoft to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:15 AM
  • The Outlook 2013 IMAP issues occur after installing one of the following updates (KB2837618 or KB2837643).

I have tested it two times (made a system-restore to revert back and to get everything working as expected).

After installing one or both of these updates, I noticed a strange IMAP behavior.

I have 9 IMAP account in my Outlook. The default one gets no more new mails and when I try to delete a mail in my Inbox-folder the system says 'You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation'. Really strange. The Inbox folders of my other accounts 'lost' (in Outlook, not on the server) a lot of mails (i.e. only 1 mail left in one of my inboxes). But the subfolders in my IMAP accounts seem to be ok as far as I can see.

Deleting the .OST files and trying to download all the Mails only works on subfolders, not on Inboxes of the IMAP accounts (they remain empty).

After reverting the update (system-restore), I deleted all OST-Files and dowloaded my Mail again. Now, every Mail is in the right place and nothing lost. WTH have MS done with Update KB2837618 or KB2837643? Oh, and while you are at it, please fix the Header bug I've reported so many times before (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8eafe714-8a8c-44bc-9228-d6a68731494f/outlook-2013-behavior-as-an-imap-client and here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/e8122c0c-7abd-4d1d-957b-cec5f5a7167f/).

AND: please forward it to the right place (dev.-team). Thank you in advance!

• Proposed as answer by rpr.nospam Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rpr.nospam Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:46 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:14 AM
  • We also have this issue which prevents us from deploying the latest MS updates to Windows client machines.

Test environment: MS Windows 7 Pro. SP1 64-bit and MS Office Pro. Plus 2013 32-bit fully patched in October 2013. Outlook 2013 is able to connect to a MS Exchange Server 2010.
    The "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OLMAPI32.DLL" file is version 15.0.4535.1003.

After installing November Patch Tuesday updates Outlook 2013 crashes a few seconds after it starts.
    The "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OLMAPI32.DLL" file is version 15.0.4551.1003.

Here are info logged to the Event Log:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    OUTLOOK.EXE
      Application Version:    15.0.4551.1004
      Application Timestamp:    5253ad6f
      Fault Module Name:    olmapi32.dll
      Fault Module Version:    15.0.4551.1003
      Fault Module Timestamp:    524a7a77
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000138c5
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    1050

Additional information about the problem:
      LCID:    1033
      skulcid:    1033

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          14.11.13. 09:45:54
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    Description:
    Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4551.1004, time stamp: 0x5253ad6f
    Faulting module name: olmapi32.dll, version: 15.0.4551.1003, time stamp: 0x524a7a77
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000138c5
    Faulting process id: 0x1454
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cee115d9db284b
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\olmapi32.dll

Starting Outlook in safe mode (using the /safe switch) was not helpful.

BTW, we tried to uninstall updates KB2837618 and KB2837643 in Control panel > Program and features > View installed updates and restarted Windows. But after that the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OLMAPI32.DLL" file was still on version 15.0.4551.1003 and Outlook crashed as before. Only reverting Windows to the restore point created before installation of the updates fixed the issue.

--rpr.
    • Edited by rpr.nospam Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:09 PM text formatting
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:15 PM
  • I uninstalled KB2837618 and it started working, but the uninstall routine doesn't seem to work too well as one of my colleagues did the same thing and she got a message that it had uninstalled but it just zipped through and didn't seem to do anything.

Fortunately on this domain we use WSUS so I just set it to removal.

Congratulations Microsoft, yet another duff round of crappy updates for Office 2013.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Spoke too soon, the uninstall routine using WSUS doesn't work reliably either, you either have to manually uninstall it or copy over OLMAPI32.DLL from a computer that hasn't been updated.  Also with WSUS after uninstall it keeps coming up saying the update has been detected for uninstall, so I've had to decline it altogether and do manual uninstalls.

CRAP.

Whoever deployed this to Windows Update should be fired frankly, this is the second batch of crappy updates.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:58 PM
  • There are Known Issues with this update which you may need to explore.

Known issues with this security update

After this update is applied, you may experience issues with S/MIME certificate verification in Microsoft Outlook. This issue is caused because the update disables remote intermediate certificate fetching in Outlook. (see the full KB Article):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2837618

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Same problems.  Uninstall does not work.  Reg key change doesnt work.  (actually you need to create the key as it doesnt exist).  System restore works.  Microsoft you better get on this one.  This affected about 100 computers that we know of so far. 
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:26 PM
  • This fixes it for us.  But this would be a nightmare to deal with over multiple sites and clients.  We copied the olmapi32.dll file from a non updated system over to the patched system and it worked.

"BTW, we tried to uninstall updates KB2837618 and KB2837643 in Control panel > Program and features > View installed updates and restarted Windows. But after that the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OLMAPI32.DLL" file was still on version 15.0.4551.1003 and Outlook crashed as before. Only reverting Windows to the restore point created before installation of the updates fixed the issue."

--rpr.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:44 PM
  • System Restore to just before these updates were installed seems to work. I then turned off Auto Updates for the clients that hadn't yet been affected, and won't turn them back on until I know Microsoft has fixed this problem. One client didn't have any available restore points prior to the updates, so I had to manually (one by one) uninstall ~20 updates related to Outlook/Office that were installed on 11/13 (fortunately we are a small office) - Outlook then began working again.... which brings me to another point: Our entire office runs Windows 7 x64, so WHY does Microsoft recommend updates for 32-bit OSs??? Why can't these "important" updates be tailored to client configurations? How much drive space is wasted due to completely unnecessary, and sometimes detrimental (as we see here) "updates"?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Same strange behaviour with IMAP accounts. Mails in the Inbox cannot be deleted: "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation".

Sending mail works, but new emails do not appear in Inbox.

I experienced the day before a blue screen (Windows 8 version 6.2 build 9200)

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:38 PM

This field was empty, don't know why, but after changing the field, the Inbox synced again and I was able to delete messages again.

Dirk

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:55 PM
  • If your outlook is crashing open the application event log and check the error that is causing the problem.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:31 PM

Dirk

I found it at File -> Account Settings -> Account settings -> Change... -> More Settings... -> Advanced

• Edited by finbarr69 Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:26 PM Found it after all
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:20 PM
  • I can confirm this has worked for one of my clients.  Thank you!

Brian

Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:06 PM
  • I think I speak for most Sys Admins (Security folks cry about missing updates BEFORE Patch Tuesday) when I say, "I'd rather have a vulnerability for a month than 2000 broken computers and 2000 pissed off customers today."  Workarounds=NOT OKAY.  Microsoft, please fix this FAIL toot sweet just like you had to do with an Outlook FAIL back in September.

Regards,
    TsunamiSteve

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Same strange behaviour with IMAP accounts. Mails in the Inbox cannot be deleted: "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation".

Sending mail works, but new emails do not appear in Inbox.

I experienced the day before a blue screen (Windows 8 version 6.2 build 9200)

We also have this exact same problem with Windows 7 SP1.  Drove us crazy at first until we discovered it was due to the update.  Hope Microsoft fixes it soon.  We had to do some restores and turn off auto-updates.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 7:48 PM
  • If you reached this post and you are having a similar problem but are using outlook 2013 with Exchange and you check the application log in event view and find that OLMAPI32.DLL is causing outlook to crash after one minute you may need to uninstall the following two updates:

KB2837618
    KB2837643

After uninstalling these two updates outlook 2013 may continue to crash after 1 minute with the same error message. If this continues reinstall office 2013 apply all patches except KB2837618, and KB2837643. Outlook will no longer crash.

I noticed that if the last date modified on OLMAPI32.DLL is 10/17/2013 then outlook will crash. If the date is 9/13/2013 it will not crash.

Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:11 AM
  • This problem is only effecting my users that are setup to use cached exchange mode. So far all of my non cached exchange mode users are working just fine after installing this update. My fix has been to delete the outlook profile, delete the .ost file, then recreate the outlook profile. I did not have to remove the update.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Monday, November 18, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Same symptoms here, but windows was outdated when it started happening.

Using Win7 64 and Office 13

Can't really tell why, but when i go into offline mode right after entering outlook and only go online after a couple of minutes nothing seems to happen. Everything works fine. But after leaving and reentering Outllok the same error message appears. I always have to start on offline mode

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:43 PM
  • yep this worked for me. thank you.

Fix this fast MS!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Has anyone filed an official bug report to MS, or does anyone know whether MS is monitoring this group?
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:04 PM
  • My company is also affected by this latest batch of updates, but our symptoms are a little different. It has completely killed our ability to view user free/busy information on our calendar.  I've tracked this particular issue to a specific registry key that changes what seems to be your SMTP logon address that is obtained from Autodiscover to a value that is non-existent.

See here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2a85e519-a15e-4795-ad7e-909fa3ba7440/kb2837643-breaks-free-busy-in-outlook-2013?forum=officeitpro#91cba6c5-790e-4aec-88d9-8eb9067b224b

There are clearly major issues with this latest batch of updates!!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:55 PM
  • My company is also affected by this latest batch of updates:

Removing KB2837618 solve the issue but after we start to have have a blue color on Folder Pane and on add remove programs appear an update KB2727079 that it's a superseed update from KB2837618

To solve the blue color in folder pane: remove the superseeded KB2727079 and problem is solved.

Regards

Ricardo Soares

Ricardo Soares

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:07 AM
  • This link sorted the update issue for me immediately but do not reboot until both uninstalled and follow exactly

waiting verification of my details so  cannot paste links today guys http www  inmotionhosting (dot) com support/news general/imap-issues outlook-2013

I actually got here by typing in Google IMAP issues

to clarify go to Inmotionhosting (dot) com and search for Outlook 2013

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:17 PM
  • That works for me, thanks!
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:11 PM
  • I've read that this has worked for multiple instances, but unfortunately the computers i've looked at has not one of these installed on them and Outlook Auto Replies still do not work.

Our workaround for Outlook crashing is to recreate the users Outlook profile. Out of the 30+ PCs i've done this to the users have yet to encounter this again.

Friday, November 22, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Where exactly is this:  In Folders->Root folder path: enter: Inbox

This is an UPGRADE??! Totally disappointing.

Monday, November 25, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Just gave it another try after yesterday's Patch day.

Same crap as before :-( !

I have to edit the root folder path with 'Inbox' to get my accounts working again.

But now I have two additional Folders (I am using the German version) called 'Gesendete Elemente' and 'Gelöschte Elemente' which now represents my 'Sent' and 'Trash' folders, leaving my real 'Sent' and 'Trash' as normal folders :-( !

WTH has designed such a bullsh** ?

All my other devices (iPhone, iPad, WebMail) are using 'Sent' and 'Trash', only my workstation is now using the new additional folders. When I finish working with Outlook I've have to move my Mails from the new 2 folders to the real 'Sent' and 'Trash' to keep my account in sync.

PLEASE COMPLETELY CANCEL OUTLOOK !!! Don't offer such UNFINISHED Software anymore, please!

I will replace Outlook with a working IMAP Client soon - I don't want to waste more time on this :-( !!!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

This is relevant for Office 2003/07 to 2013 upgrades only

What worked for us is:

Open up the Mail applet in Control Panel - it will come up with a message like "If you view a profile it will no longer be compatible with Outlook 2007 or earlier" - Click OKAY.

Now view the profile that you're having trouble with - click properties, Click Change, and then OKAY, OKAY. And come out of the Mail applet. 

We've not had any issues since - looks like the upgrade doesn't quite upgrade the profile fully.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:37 PM
  • It seems that MS issued a fix for broken KB2837618. The description says that the issues caused by it can be resolved by installing KB2850061 which is now available via Windows Update.

I've successfully tested it on a couple of machines with Windows 7 64-bit and Outlook 2013 32-bit. Outlook does not crash as before.

-- rpr.

• Edited by rpr.nospam Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:34 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:10 AM
  • After facing with the problem in hand and bofore installing new KBs I removed gmail account from my account and every thing seems to work just fine.

Adding the account back made the problem return...

So,

Worng setting with gmail account ?

Too many mails ?

I will keep you posted- going to open a new gmail account and try to understand why this is happening.

TL

• Proposed as answer by צלמון Saturday, February 01, 2014 11:23 AM
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 10:29 AM
  • Worked like a charm.  Thank you!!!

Juan

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:44 PM