none
WINDOWS VISTA: "Windows explorer has stop working; windows explorer is restarting"

Question

•  

Having problem with  windows vista, whenever the computer is being turned on, and already logged on to the user name, there is a mesage coming up continuously "windows explorer has stop working" then it will be changed to " windows explorer is restarting", its also happening on safe mode, and already tried running startup repair but it didnt resolve the issue... is there any fix for this one?!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:37 AM

Answers

• I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for about a week and have found something that is working very good for me. Check out this site:

ttp://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html

Below is a quote from the above site.

"Try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy (and free) utility: ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions. After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions. After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non Microsoft shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause Windows Explorer to crash.

ShelExView gives you all additional information you need to know such as the product & company name of the shell extension, as well as the version number. If you would like to continue using the software of the 3rd party whose shell extension is causing the Explorer crash, contact the company responsible, and check to see if there is an updated version of the software you are trying to use."

I hope this is helpful to you and others.

Vinny_S

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:07 PM

All replies

• happening alot to everyone...............hopefully they will come up with something...........
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:46 PM
  • i am also expereincing this problem please could you tell me how to fix it after you have done  

• Proposed as answer by barbituate Friday, June 05, 2009 3:23 AM
    Friday, March 09, 2007 1:07 PM
  •  Shehab Khan wrote:

i am also expereincing this problem please could you tell me how to fix it after you have done  

Me Too!!!!!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:53 PM
  •  

Same problem here.....Only I'm crashing everytime I open the Control Panel.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Explorer.EXE

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b091

Fault Module Name: StackHash_170a

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000af1c9

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 170a

Additional Information 2: fc480db4c3a077d2719f863fb68a13ae

Additional Information 3: 4f68

Additional Information 4: 43af022f1adbfa0ecbf138a8631f7e7b

HOPE THEY COME UP WITH A FIX SOON!!!!!!!!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:53 AM
  • I have started having the same problem when I try to open the Control Panel.
    First about six blank icons with 'gobblygook' under each sit there and then the eror message "Windows Explorer ..." opens.
    After the forced restart I still cannot open the Control Panel.

Hang on ... I just thought of something and it is to do with the USB memory stick cache option. ...
    I just got behind my computer, removed the USB stick being used as a ReadyBoost option and suddenly the problem with Control Panel and with the Windows Explorer shutting down and restarting has gone away.

However, the problem only started happening about two weeks ago after an automatic download.  I wonder if something has been changed in the ReadyBoost function?

Just plugged the ReadyBoost (2GB) USB memory stick back in and I am not having the problems.  Seems there is some corruption issues that MS needs to address.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:41 AM
  • I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for about a week and have found something that is working very good for me. Check out this site:

"Try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy (and free) utility: ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions. After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions. After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non Microsoft shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause Windows Explorer to crash.

ShelExView gives you all additional information you need to know such as the product & company name of the shell extension, as well as the version number. If you would like to continue using the software of the 3rd party whose shell extension is causing the Explorer crash, contact the company responsible, and check to see if there is an updated version of the software you are trying to use."

Vinny_S

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:07 PM
  • Vinny,

this IS helpfull, crashes stopped immediately after following these suggestions and steps

Thanks

Bregt

Monday, March 19, 2007 1:51 PM
  •  Vinny_S wrote:
     Shehab Khan wrote:

i am also expereincing this problem please could you tell me how to fix it after you have done  

I had the same problem too. what i did after two days of figuring out what went wrong, I simply did a system restore. If you did not make a restore point don't worry windows automatically do it for you if you have your automatic updates turned on.  Everytime windows updates your computer it generates a restore point, just click "show restore point older than 5 days" and choose a restore point.  If windows explore keeps restarting making it impossible to do a restore you have to somehow left click on my computer then click on properties and click on systems protection before explorer restarts. 

Sunday, March 25, 2007 5:24 PM
  •  

System restore was a "temporary fix"....it worked ok for a couple more days, then the same thing kept happening over and over.  After about 3-4 system restores...then my system restore ended up crashing as well!!....I ended up having to reformat the entire OS again.....since then I have not tried to install ANYTHING including updates and it seems to be doing ok now.  Now I have this beautiful OS and to scared to do anything with it.  I'm just a little frustrated....no...ALOT frustrated with this new OS.  I would suggest dumping Vista and going back to XP....seems the only solution since there are NO answers out there.  Sorry for sounding so bitter, but I had XP for six years without a system restore or reformat.  I really think MS jumped the gun on this one releasing it with wayyyyyyyy to many problems.  I'm going back to XP....good luck to all you new Vista users......

Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:13 PM
  • It is also happening to me for months now which is really annoying and tedious as I cannot access the Program and Features part of the Control Panel!

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:55 AM
  • I'm no expert in this area, but every time it's happened for me is when the Explorer tries to read the folder... it shouldn't be doing this every five minutes!

Maybe Microsoft should focus its attention on the Read Access settings for the OS (specifically the new XML file they created), as this seems to be where it causes the application to freeze.

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:55 PM
  • Vinny,

Finally! I got the SOLUTION! This issue had made me sleepless for few nights to search for solution online.

I tried SONY's, Microsoft's and many other forum's solution.  And they all do not work.  I have tried to restore back to problem exist, but Vista give more error message everytime restored.

This is a new laptop! I was perparing to reinstall the OS all over again. oh...man, you won't believe the painfulllllllllll that it coused to me! It works fine now!

You saved my life! I was following the steps (visit http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html for details) and now I am free from Errors message....Thanks!

It's the third parties Shell Files problems. After I have disabled few of them then Window Explorer Works Great!

You have to try which one is affecting the Window Explorer. I am still not so sure which is actual coused the problem, but I just get it FIXED and I don't care for now.

At least, I can work with my files and enjoy the new laptop with Win Vista.

I think everyone should have a copy of the ShellViewEx to handle the problems that might happen whenever you ave new installation.

Anyway, I will tell all my friends to have a download a copy of ShellViewEx. Downlod from this URL:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

My new laptop is .....ALIVE!!!

Eric

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Its like ghost!

It happen again after two days "fixed" y using ShellExvView.

Sad

What can I do now?? Is there anyone can help??

Eric

Friday, November 16, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Hello,

The problem is mainly with corrupted or incompatible vista files. I've realised this when I tried to open one particular folder, and the explorer restarted. The only application I've installed was my webcam application where I've saved a couple of images. 

I've solved this problem using the oldest method I know, through a DOS window. I went in the directory (folder) and deleted the JPG files. The problem not is solved.

Try to organise your files in different folders using the old DOS commands and then go in each folder using the Windows explorer to see where the corrupted files are.

Regards,

Josef

Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:06 PM
  • i have a same problem so i hate the vista system i'm thinking to change it to xp..

Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:36 PM
  •  

Hi, I have the same problem:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: explorer.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16549

Application Timestamp: 46d230c5

Fault Module Name: StackHash_170a

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000af1c9

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1060

Additional Information 1: 170a

Additional Information 2: fc480db4c3a077d2719f863fb68a13ae

Additional Information 3: 2046

Additional Information 4: b885b3a3c105c6de02d83b02b98dacec

Tried with shell, I dissabled all non Microsoft shells but nothing heppaned-still same error, control panel did not open and exprorer stopped working.

I have another problem which might be connected, I can not open security center, shows rundll32 problem.

Thanks very much for helping!

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Hey friends,couple of weeks ago i have commented a lot on the new Windows Vista Platform which i have run on several system core troubleshooting.That period i'm running on RAM system memory up to 1.5Gb and Windows Vista Business 32 bit. So the problem that i have last time is Windows Explorer stop working and system already give me info on the causes of the problem happened is because of some external document which Vista cannot load totally.But for me i can't buy the reason and solution because other platform like Windows XP run smoothly on that. Maybe not so many XML file i think.

Then when i check through the system core,neither u used dual core or quad core base platform, Vista sometimes expand the memory usage up to1.4Gb memory resources which make you all platform stall.Then the system will spool and try to restart the application which will be parmenantly activated such as Windows explorer.

Yesterday, when i walk to the IT shop. I grab another piece of RAM and slot it in and my notebook to become 2Gb which run on Vista Bussiness platform system.Now run smoothly and also the Windows Explorer no more appeared and also i think you guys should try this which is expand your system memory.Since Windows Vista is a new born platform which Microsoft are relying on this forum to study the structure that need to be develop more.

note: I almost change to Apple Mac OS leopard and iBook Pro.

Nakata

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

I solved my problem with removing Firebird2Control.cpl from system32 folder, more info below

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2593653&siteid=17

Klemen

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Figured it out
    There is a program called "Trojan Remover"

Download Trojan Remover 6.6.1 Build 2483 [UPDATE] Free Trial - Trojan Remover - aids in the removal of Trojan Horses from a computer - Softpedia

I ran this while the problem was happening, it was tricky but I got it to install (had to move the fingers quickly b/c you know how it restarts the explorer screen every 5 seconds...but once it installed and scanned it errored out and I restarted the program ran it again and it stopped the loop and removed the trojan that causes it.

THIS IS THE HELP I GOT FROM ANOTHER SITE AND IT WORKED A TREAT. PLEASE TRY THIS BEFORE RESTORING OR REINSTALLING OS. SOMETIMES IT IS THE SIMPLEST THINGS THAT CAUSE THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS. IF YOU CAN'T GET TO INTERNET OR OPEN FILES IN NORMAL MODE TO GO TO SAFE MODE. DOWNLOAD THIS SOFTWARE AND IF THE MESSAGE STILL APPEARS WHEN YOU TRY TO ACCESS YOUR FILES THEN USE THE TASK MANAGER AND GO TO FILE, NEW TASK. OPEN THE PLACE IN C:\ DRIVE YOU PLACED THE DOWNLOAD AND OPEN IT FROM THERE.

HOPE THIS HELPS, I WAS SO CLOSE TO RESTORING EVERYTHING AND LOSING ALL MY FILES.

CYRIUS
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Firebird2Control.cpl delete it !!!! and it will work !

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Windows explorer has crashed periodically since I recently aquired Vista. When it crashes it then does a patch repair and annoyingly rearranges the desktop. There seems to be conflicting advice on how to fix this and having just ditched XP in favour of an upgrade I would like to hear some definitive advice from microsoft on how to fix this before meddling and getting into deep water.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:03 PM
  •  

WINDOWS VISTA: "Windows explorer has stop working; windows explorer is restarting"
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:51 PM
  • There seem to be many different solutions posted here, do any of them actually fix the problem fully?

I have the same issue, but I suspect it is due to malware.  There are a bunch of oddly named .dll files in my windows folder, with names like bbCvwYmnb.dll etc...There is also a strange wininit.ini file that references these dll's with "tmpjunkfile" quotes.

I tried to find them with Norton, on occasions it has found a vundo trojan.  Spybot finds the virtumonde spy file, but cannot remove it.  I tried to quarantine the wininit (not able to delete it) and the .dll files (can delete all but one), however this does not have appeared to resolve the issue either.

Wikipedia has given me the best information so far on this, I will try this out this evening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vundo
    Monday, July 14, 2008 6:22 AM
  • I had the same problem when trying to delete contacts from Windows address book.  Everytime I hit delete, or right clicked delete explorer shut down.

I downloaded this fix, went through all the likely shell extensions and disabled them, including one for Contacts.  It worked so I re-enabled all except the Contacts - and Hey! everything working perfectly.  Thank you for this post.

Vinny_S wrote:

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for about a week and have found something that is working very good for me. Check out this site:

Vinny_S

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Well I would not really blame Vista completely.  My main machine, and my daughter's machine both run Vista with out problems.  My laptop on the other hand is having this problem.

Obviously it is something I have installed.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:13 AM
  • Hi, if you haven't sorted the problem out yet, take a look at Vista Windows Application at Tech Net, my solution is under jon francis, CD and media files crash..

Good luck, JF

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:09 PM
  •  

im not tech genious either infact i tend to break more then i can fix, when it comes to my own pc, just want to let u know with vista there is many probelms, and i found the shell site, really fixed my probelm, takes 20 mins to read how to work the application, apply the knowledge, and  uve fixed  your problem, im happy i got my pc working again thanks guys
    Monday, October 06, 2008 9:05 PM
  •  ashley_jhade wrote:

Having problem with  windows vista, whenever the computer is being turned on, and already logged on to the user name, there is a mesage coming up continuously "windows explorer has stop working" then it will be changed to " windows explorer is restarting", its also happening on safe mode, and already tried running startup repair but it didnt resolve the issue... is there any fix for this one?!

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:00 AM
  • Try going to C:Windows and locate the application explorer.exe.
    Right click it and choose run as administrator.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Try going to C:Windows and locate the application explorer.exe.
    Right click it and choose run as administrator.

This fixed my problem with opening specific folders that seemed to cause the error message and APPCRASH Event.  Everything works fine now.
    • Proposed as answer by barbituate Friday, June 05, 2009 3:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by barbituate Friday, June 05, 2009 3:38 AM
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:33 AM
  • I have a problem like yours too, but all you need to To DISABLE IT ALL THE TIME YOU START YOUR PC! that will done the job.
    Havoc
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 5:54 AM
  • After trying everytime, the only thing that seems to worked was ShelExView, download it, and try to disable, sharing folders from Windows messenger, let me know if it worked
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Mate you are a life saver,  did  as you said and system is perfect,  thanks...........
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Thanks Vinny_S, ur answer still working even after 4 yrs, really thx alot
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Thanx Vinny, Same probs as everyone else and after reading Vinny's suggestions I disabled old Nero shell extensions and I've at last got my computer back. Buy the man a pint. Cheers Tel-Boy2
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:06 PM
  • hey, i used ShellExView utility, and disabled all Non-Microsoft shell, and tried again to see, if it crashes now, and i was delighted, but, it FAILED. it still crashes down...

when ever i go to my user directory, it crashes down... and my adobe flash plugin is not working properly, after 2 weeks this problem has started... i have scan my pc a million times, even a boot run scan too... and nothing was found. Windows Vista home premium...

so, to access my files i currently have to go run Explore, and rather than simply using GUI, i seeing it flow chart and open and close chain, that we used to have in earlier windows...

if you can help me, i shall be really grateful to you..

Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:05 PM