none
windows 7 - black screen with cursor - fades

Question

• hello everyone,

my daughter's hp g71 laptop ran into a problem over the weekend - it boots to a blackscreen with only the mouse cursor showing.  as soon as the touchpad is touched, the screen and the cursor fade to dim.  the computer still seems active and working - the wireless button still responds and the mouse cursor can move on the screen

i have tried: 

ctrl-alt-delete   no response.  shift five times no response.  no response to any of the keys except for sleep

safe mode is the same thing - black screen with cursor, no response to ctl-alt-delete or any other key combination that i could find. 

all other startup modes under F8 - no change

hard reset - holding power button down for 30sec to 2 minutes with battery and ac power cord removed - no change

earlier restore point and last known good configuration - no change

startup repair several times - said that it fixed corrupted files tcpip.sys and fwpkclnt.sys  - no change to black screen though

my son's laptop is identical - i tried swapping hard drives, and the problem moved with the drive.  i used his computer to build a windows 7 repair disk, and booted from it to run chkdsk/r and sfc/scannow (offline mode).  both fault and report that there are corrupted files.   chkdsk/r completes without any errors.  sfc/verifyonly reports that winpe.bmp and schema.dat files are corrupted.

i was able to perform a data backup from the repair manager - i could do a complete reinstall, but that takes a lot of time to get all the software re-installed and updated.  this seems like a simple problem, since the laptop still boots and windows tries to start.  but i can't find the fix.

thanks very much for the help....

Monday, April 25, 2011 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Could you enter into BIOS as normal?

Based on the methods you have tried. I recommand you do a In-place Upgrade.

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Could you enter into BIOS as normal?

Based on the methods you have tried. I recommand you do a In-place Upgrade.

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Hello Miya,

Your recommendation does not work. Following your instructions I get the following message after clicking Upgrade

"The computer started using the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that Windows starts normlly. Then, insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade..."

I can not boot into windows! I am having the exact same problem as the person above. My Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit was working perfectly yesterday and now Startup Repair says I have there are corrupted files: tcpip.sys and fwpkclnt.sys.

Please help,

David

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:00 PM