none
Error 0x80070057 occurs during the installation of Windows. Please Help!

Question

• Hi, my name is Jason. Over this week, I have experienced serveral blue screens of death which contain the error 0x80070057.

1) After I reboot my computer (laptop), it wouldn't load into windows and it froze at the "starting windows" screen.

2) I then boot into the windows 7 installation disc and deleted all the partitions and created a new one.

3) Windows installation then gives me an error: "Windows could not format partition on disk 0.
        The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057

4) I reboot my computer and loads the windows 7 setup, deleted the old partition ( I also tried formatting... same error prevented the format)
        Then I created a new partition.

5) "NeXT"

6) Windows starts installation with "copying new files 0%" and then it says :"Windows could not format partition on disk. The error occurred while           preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057"

There are some help articles related to this, but they are all "in-Windows" solutions, where as I can not boot into Windows.

7) Additionally, I also tried to remove my excess ram and install different kinds of operating system, but the same thing happens.

8) I also used Active@Kill Disk to wipe out the enter drive with "write to zeros" method, but nothing seems to work.

There are some help articles related to this, but they are all "in-Windows" solutions, wheras I can not boot into Windows.

Please assist with an solution.

From Jason Tsang

• Edited by flamesbaby Friday, October 08, 2010 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi, my name is Jason. Over this week, I have experienced serveral blue screens of death which contain the error 0x80070057.

1) After I reboot my computer (laptop), it wouldn't load into windows and it froze at the "starting windows" screen.

2) I then boot into the windows 7 installation disc and deleted all the partitions and created a new one.

3) Windows installation then gives me an error: "Windows could not format partition on disk 0.
        The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057

4) I reboot my computer and loads the windows 7 setup, deleted the old partition ( I also tried formatting... same error prevented the format)

5) "NeXT"

6) Windows starts installation with "copying new files 0%" and then it says :"Windows could not format partition on disk. The error occurred while           preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057"

There are some help articles related to this, but they are all "in-Windows" solutions, where as I can not boot into Windows.

7) Additionally, I also tried to remove my excess ram and install different kinds of operating system, but the same thing happens.

8) I also used Active@Kill Disk to wipe out the enter drive with "write to zeros" method, but nothing seems to work.

There are some help articles related to this, but they are all "in-Windows" solutions, wheras I can not boot into Windows.

From Jason Tsang

Thanks guys!!! I brought the computer back to its manufacture, and they gave me a new harddrive. So now, it works like a charm  :P With no problem at all. Thanks for your hardwork tho.
    • Marked as answer by flamesbaby Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:40 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• that's sound like a driver error, probably the problem is in the hard drive driver because the error out in the format process
    Juan Manuel Cedeño / http://elrincondecedeno.blogspot.com/ The only site in Spanish about SCCM and Deployment
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by flamesbaby Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:20 PM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Sounds like a hardware or driver issue.

Please refer to the suggestions in the following thread and knowledge base (KB) article to see if the issue can be resolved:

error 0x80070057 Failed to format the selected partition

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by flamesbaby Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:20 PM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:28 AM
  • I happened upon this error on a 160Gb Seagate 7200.10 ATA100 (non-sata) hard drive in an old Pentium4 motherboard.

I verified that the hard drive was OK by low-level formatting then doing a full surface scan, but this did not solve the issue.

I then tried a different hard drive altogether and ran into the same error, hinting that the problem was further up the chain.

After trying different cables and IDE ports to no avail, I then reset the BIOS back to Factory Defaults and it worked!

I had previously tried tinkering with the IDE settings in the BIOS without result, but obviously missed something.

Good Luck! 

Friday, May 06, 2011 11:21 PM

5) "NeXT"

From Jason Tsang

Thanks guys!!! I brought the computer back to its manufacture, and they gave me a new harddrive. So now, it works like a charm  :P With no problem at all. Thanks for your hardwork tho.
    • Marked as answer by flamesbaby Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:40 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Um... I was wondering how do you reset the BIOS back to Factory Defaults?

My Computer:

MSI cx420

3gb Ram

i5  intel processors

GPA: ATI Radeon HD 5470

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:39 PM