none
Dell Inspiron 1300

Question

• Not sure where else to post this question. I have already gone to Dell with no resolution.

I have a Inspiron 1300 that runs Windows XP Home SP3, 40 GB HD (with only 10.4 GB being used), 1 GB memory, 1.4 GHz Celeron M Processor. All necessary updates have been done. The system is defragged once a week. IE is optimized daily, as well as disk cleanup. I have CCleaner, Spysweeper, Avira (Anit-virus) and Adaware installed. All are functioning properly and updated regularly. The system is scanned daily for adware, malware, spyware and viruses.

Now, here is my issue.

When I first turn on the system it runs fine. After approximately 30 minutes the system starts to run slow. By this I mean programs are slow to respond, sometimes freezing. When task manager is accessed it shows the CPU usage fluctuates between 10% and 30%, this is with no programs being manually opened. There are 36 processes running, all of them are legitimate processes. After 30 minutes of use, the CPU usage goes up dramatically. MSN and IE use an extremely large amount of memory and the VM is always above 600,000 with these two programs. I just checked it again: MSN memory usage is 585,000 and VM Usage is 610,000.

I have called Dell and spoke with a technician, who had me do a diagnotic, which came up clean. Also did a virus/ malware scan which also came up clean. He indicated that I should do a clean install of XP. I don't agree with this since it's not the OS that's faulty. All of the software is functioning properly, until the system has been on for a while. To me this indicates a processor issue.

I would like to know what others here can suggest as alternatives to an OS reinstall.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:23 AM