none
Convert EFI Partition to NTFS

Question

• Hi,

I have to convert EFI System partition (FAT32) to NTFS becasue unable to install Encryption software. I have to follow below steps.

--> Create new NTFS partition
    --> Export boot config from existing EFI partition to new NTFS partition
    --> set new NTFS partition as Active/System
    --> Delete old EFI (FAT32) partition / it's bootmgr entry

In MiniTool Partition Wizard, there is a option to convert FAT to NTFS which is disabled. I checked VisualBCD/EasyBCD where there is an option to create a new BootMGR entry & set this active but the cocern is how to export/copy data from existing EFI partition to new partition.

Kindly suggest how to achieve it.

Dhiraj

Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS command to convert a partition to NTFS.

If you encounter the boot issue, use the Bootrec.exe to fix the boot issue.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

More information :

How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 02, 2012 11:51 AM
  •  Hi Tracy Cai,

Thanks for your response. I have tried with convert.exe & the partition is converted into NTFS but unable to boot OS. EFI boot showing "Operating System not found". tried with Bootrec.exe /fixboot & /rebuildbcd but still same error. unable to boot with EFI. Is there any way to Export this Bootmgr config / convert partition to NTFS / Import the config again. will that work.

Dhiraj

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Hi,

Try this command: bcdboot C:\Windows

BCDboot Command-Line Options

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744347(v=ws.10).aspx

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

Still the same. i have boot that system from a Windows 7 media & went into command prompt --> assigned drive letter to EFI partition --> Converted that drive letter into NTFS --> tried BCDBoot C:\Windows & it was sucessful --> same results --> on the begining i have taken BCD backup with "BCDEdit /export --> import that backup tried to boot, same error "Operating system not found".

Dhiraj 

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hi ,

Please try to use Windows 7 DVD to auto repair the system. 

It is better to use the following method to move the boot file from the EFI parititon to Volume C:. 

Open a command line: Click Start, type cmd in the search box, right click the cmd.exe and select Run as administrator. Type the following command:

1.  Mkdir C:\Boot

2.  Bcdedit /export C:\Boot\BCD

3.  Bcdedit /store C:\Boot\BCD /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:

5.  Bcdedit /store C:\Boot\BCD  

-- Verify that the change took effect

6.  Copy C:\windows\boot\pcat\bootmgr C:\

7.  Attrib +h +s C:\bootmgr

( The following steps make drive C as active partition).

8.  diskpart

9. list disk

10. select disk 0

Where disk 0 is drive C resided.

11. list volume

12. select volume *

Where volume * is drive C resided.

13. active

14.  Reboot the server and now, in Disk Management you can use this EFI partition.

Note: You may need to reactivate the server again using product key after this change if you got the notice that the server needs to be activated.

Once again, I recommend you don’t do this unless it was absolutely essential.

Additional information:

How to Modify the BCD Store Using Bcdedit

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731245(v=WS.10).aspx

Modify the BCD Store Template

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766223(v=WS.10).aspx

What is the Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 System Reserved Partition?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2010/03/13/what-is-the-windows-server-2008-r2-windows-7-system-reserved-partition.aspx

Thanks. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the detailed steps. I have tried to repair it with Win7 DVD but showing some error "system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair" whereas same DVD working fine on same another system. Can't make Active partition because the disk is GPT. Now seems either my BCD Store is corrupted or not getting proper entry as it's showing "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. the requested system device cannot be found" with BCDedit command's. bootrec /rebuildbcd can able to find OS partition (C:\Windows) but after i select it, showing above error only (The boot configuration data store could not be opened). seems first i have to repair BCD Store).

Dhiraj

Friday, November 09, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Hey, i have the same problem here... :(

more details are in this thread in microsoft answers

actually, the error is where bootmgr cannot find the bcd store to boot from. bootmgr is successfully booted, and my bcdstore too is fine. i checked it by using

bcdedit /store F:\Boot\BCD

and it gave a valid store.

now the main question is "How to find the 'requested system device' when i have a gpt disk"?

Gary

• Edited by Gary1234567 Monday, November 12, 2012 8:22 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hi ,

It seems that bcdedit can't find the BCD store. Could you please let me know how you export boot config from existing EFI partition to NTFS partition? Are you just copy the files or use Bcdedit? 

Try to use bcdedit /store option see if it helps. If not, please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766223(v=WS.10).aspx to maunally use bcdedit to create a new BCD store. 

Thanks. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

before conversion to NTFS, i have exported BCD Store with BCDedit /export & after conversion imported it from that file. BCDedit /enum showing below details.

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume3
    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {default}
    resumeobject            {37851268-2551-11e2-8de5-835211c7dc46}
    displayorder            {default}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {default}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    description             Windows 7
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {3785126a-2551-11e2-8de5-835211c7dc46}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {37851268-2551-11e2-8de5-835211c7dc46}
    nx                      OptIn

diskpart showing below details.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          698 GB  1024 KB        *

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
      ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  -------
      Volume 0     E   GSP1RMCENXV  UDF    DVD-ROM     3035 MB  Healthy
      Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition     43 GB  Healthy
      Volume 2     D   New Volume   NTFS   Partition    639 GB  Healthy
      Volume 3         Recovery     NTFS   Partition     15 GB  Healthy    Hidden
      Volume 4                      NTFS   Partition    260 MB  Healthy    Hidden
      Volume 5         SONYSYS      NTFS   Partition    260 MB  Healthy    Hidden

Bootrec is not showing OS partition with /scanos.

C:\>bootrec /fixboot
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\>bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 0

C:\>bootrec /scanos
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 0

Can it be becasue BCDedit /enum showing, bootmgr is under HardDiskVolume3 whereas Diskpart showing volume3 is the recovery partition. i think it should be volume4. should we try to change this entry from Volume3 to Volume4.

Also very strange that bootrec /scanos is not showing any OS partition.

Dhiraj

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hi Dhiraj,

From the output, it seems that the boot partition is a ESP. (EFI system partition.) We may use the method to export a EFI system. Based on my experience, most of the UEFI firmwares have support for accessing FAT12 (floppy disks) , FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems. An EFI System Partition is usually formatted as FAT32.

Please see the the changes to BCD settings for EFI-based system in:

Modify the BCD Store Template

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766223(v=WS.10).aspx

More information:

Walkthrough: Boot Windows PE from a UEFI-based Hard Disk

http://lab.technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh265131(v=ws.10).aspx

Thanks.

Friday, November 16, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks. on my second test notebook, bcdedit /enum output is same before it was converted to ntfs. there is no difference on the BCDedit Store settings. but still bootrec /scanos unable to detect OS partition. On this system, i have taken BCD store backup with BCDEdit /Export filepath & imported with BCDedit /import filepath \clean but still same. is there any file which we can check to find out why it's not able to detect OS partition or what's the criteria to check OS partition. could be bcoz bootrec not showing OS partition, system is not able to boot with EFI.

Dhiraj

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi ,

If we use the EFI partition as FAT 32, does the bcdedit can detect the BCD store setting? Thanks. 

Friday, November 30, 2012 2:19 PM